Sunday, August 30, 2015

SANKU PURANA

Sanku Purana - An Engineer’s Memoirs.
CONTENTS:

Foreword                                                                                                                                   
1.A lucky Job with Pension Benefits                                                                                      
2. Stepping into the Uncharted World of Officialdom.                                                     
3.Labyrinth of Official Procedures and Codal Formalities.                                                     
4. Art of Navigating through Loopholes in Rule Books.                                                                                         
5.Experience in speaking Telugu and Writing ‘Ramkotis’.                                                              
6 First Movement Orders- Good- bye to Gopalapuram.                                                        
7.Field Investigations- Some Lessons Learnt.                                                                          
8.Life in Dandakaranya- A new Perspective.                                                                      
9.Delhi- Learning the Fundamentals of Working at Headquarters                                
10. Moving a File- A Herculean Task.                                                                                  
11. A Training Course  in ‘Babudom’.                                                                                  
12. An Ass and  A Jackass.- Deft Definitions.                                                                                                                                             
13. Pruning Administration to Make More Posts.                                                             
14. ‘Garibi Hatao’ and the Story of God’s Sovereign.                                                                                                                 
15. Coordinate- Without Ordinates.                                                                                      
16. A Song Divine for Office Goers.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
17. Grievance Causing Mechanisms.                                                                                                                                                               
18.Training the Untrained.                                                                                                                
19. A Cog in the Wheel of Administration.                                                                         
20. Survival ‘Manthras’ in Service.                                                                                                      
21.The Last Move.
                                                                                                                 
Disclaimer:
Individuals named in this Epic do not exist; but individuals displaying such attitudes do exist now.
Organisations named do not exist; but organisations exhibiting similar work culture do exist now.





FOREWORD:
The memoirs have been christened as “Sanku Purana” since the episodes narrated therein occurred in a bygone era, to be precise, the closing decades of the last millennium.
In this attempt, I had to face fierce opposition from my relatives, friends and colleagues. None of them was willing to even write a ‘Foreword’ to this epoch making compilation, since, according to their perception, this document was nothing but a collection of ‘frivolous reminiscences’! As they did not want in any way to be associated with it, I am compelled to do this sacred duty also.
 The pages relate to my experience as a civil engineer, not as one constructing concrete jungles, but as one working in the confines of such buildings along with well qualified technical personnel, planning projects for the development of the country. The urge to write these memoirs came after reading similar works of eminent journalists, bureaucrats and even politicians.
 My relatives did not want me to tread the uncharted waters of writing memoirs and to get drowned in the process. Knowing my calibre in the language, they were certain that I would be successful only in murdering the Queen’s language and make the great writers of the past turn uncomfortably in their graves!
My friends discouraged me in taking up the venture assuming that I was taking recourse to writing to make some quick bucks. They had seen such writers mushrooming during election times. Hence they were generous to offer me money and other help if only I promised that I would withdraw from such an attempt.
Many of my colleagues were furious presuming that I was trying to emotionally blackmail some of them. They assured me in no uncertain terms that they would not cooperate with me in this project and would even try, through social media, to enforce a ban on it!
I take this opportunity to assure the readers that the memoirs do not intend to cast aspersions on any of my colleagues and is only a genuine record of the jealousies, conspiracies and intrigues one comes across during the long journey in the profession. I am sure that there would be many who had similar experiences in their professional lives too and, reading this chronicle they would be relieved to know that they were not alone in having such experiences. 
I only hope that by reading my story, even my bitter critics would be convinced that their misgivings are unwarranted. Further, I would like to add that these memoirs would not have seen the light of the day but for the continued discouragement given by my relatives, friends and colleagues who made me strive hard to complete the text in record time. I thank all of them for offering their valuable comments and views.
Sanku,
Engineer of An  Ancient Cadre.






1.  A lucky Job with Pension Benefits.
First of December, 1964, is a gold letter day in the annals of my life, for, it is the day I got the official letter  from the organisation, the Water Development Authority (WADA),appointing me  as an Engineer – Officer in that organisation.
The news of my appointment as an officer was already known to most of the people in my village through the courtesy of our village post man, Nanu Nair,  who had the habit of reading  each and every letter addressed to the village households and informing the contents while delivering the letters, mainly post cards. Naturally, when a registered letter addressed to me, with the official seal of the sender as Water Development Authority, came to his notice, his curiosity did not allow him to wait to know the contents till the letter was delivered to me. He took it upon himself the right to open the envelope, read the text, and inform the villagers he met on the way the important information contained therein.
“So you got a nice job by the grace of God”, mother said happily. “Evening I would go and offer special prayers in our temple.’
“Is it a government job?” the local school teacher asked me. “From the name of the organisation, the offer appears to be from some private company”. Since the teacher was the only one who was a graduate in English and hence had the ability to scrutinise letters in English, the villagers present gave out an impression as if they felt that my job is not that good if it is in a private organisation.
“Is it a pensionable job?” my maternal uncle, Kelu Nair, wanted to know.  He was a pensioner from state government service and had respect only for such jobs which carried pension at the time of retirement. “He is still to join the job and you are talking about pension. How silly!” my father’s cousin, Ravunni Nair, chided him.  “Nowadays, one should not be attracted only by pension but by prospects of advancement in the career”, he, a mechanic in a textile mill in the town, advised.
As I was going through the contents of the Office Memorandum, the terms and conditions of service and the time available for joining the post, etc. I did not know that, the crowd was waiting impatiently for my response. After reading through the papers, I told them that the post is a permanent one, is pensionable and the prospects would be bright.
All of them heaved a sigh of relief and, after congratulating my mother, they dispersed to their respective places. I did not deserve any congratulation for the achievement, they must have thought, for in the village, one gets a good job only due to the good ‘karma’ of the elders!
“You have brought laurels to the family.” My paternal uncle, Koman Nair, a retired Subedar Major, congratulated me. He snatched the papers from me to read the text. “Hmm, your posting is at Gopalapuram.” He said. “There is a bus from Palghat going via Gopalapuram. So, you can conveniently stay at home and do out and back to your work place.”  “This Gopalapuram is in Andhra Pradesh,” I corrected him.
Major Nair, as he is locally known, does not like to be corrected, because he considers himself as a ‘Mr. Know All’ , since he is the only person from the village who has travelled far and wide all over the country. Ask him about any place, he would unbundle his army stories, about how he managed a crisis situation, how he fought wild animals single handed and his many escapades from enemies during wars.“How do you know that?” he wanted me to clarify.
“The order says that I am to open the office at Gopalapuram, connected by metalled road to Eluru railway station.”
“Ah! Now I remember the place Eluru, near Vijayawada’. The Major acknowledged. “When I was in the army, a very interesting episode happened while we were nearing the Eluru station,” he started to reminisce.
“See, whether the orders are alright; whether it is a pensionable job, etc.” My mother cut him short.
“Yes, I find that it is a permanent job and he is eligible for pension,” the Major said reading the order. “Well, there is an enclosure also, a form detailing the charge you have to take, a charge paper. You have to account for ganja, opium etc. when you take over the charge.”
“My God! My mother screamed. “Is this the job you are going to do? To deal with opium and ganja, I won’t allow you to go for such a job. If I had known that you were to handle these drugs, I would not have even allowed you to apply for the job. Why did you not tell about this earlier?”
“No, amma, this is not my job, mine will be an engineer’s job, constructing roads, bridges, buildings, etc.” I tried to pacify her. “The form enclosed with the letter is a general form to be filled by all candidates selected for various departments, such as engineering, police, customs, central excise, etc.”
“Is it so?” my mother asked Mr. Know All.
“It has to be”, the Major said. “When I was...”
 “Well, if you say it is O.K., then it is O.K. for me also.” Mother again cut him short. “But how is the place? Will you get rice, sambar, iddly etc. there?”
“Being in South India, I am sure he would not have any problem for getting these southern delicacies, only the language could be a problem. After all, he is a young man and he is joining a good pensionable service”, the Major said. “When you join such a service, you can lead a relaxed life from day one- that is the advantage.”
The day I was to leave for Eluru, I made a courtesy call on my grand uncle, Kunju Menon, who lived in an adjoining village. A farmer possessing a robust health, he had seen more than thousand full moons, yet he looked not more than 60 years in age due to his following a strict daily routine both in his work and in his eating habits. Everyone in our house considered him as an expert in financial matters even though he had no such qualification to boast of and he had retired as a primary school teacher in the village.
“Congratulations for getting an officer’s post”. The grand old man was profuse in complimenting me for being the first person from the village for generations to get selected to such a high post.
“I came to seek your blessings and advice before joining the service”, I told him, touching his feet. “Our blessings will always be there for you good boys”, he said “and I have only one advice to give you- do always keep a control on your expenses to ensure that you do not waste your hard earned money.”
“Now that you are not to depend on your parents for meeting your expenses and your salary would keep you flush with money, do not squander away whatever salary and allowances you get every month on miscellaneous items.”
“I would certainly keep a watch on my income and expenses”, I assured him.
“Easier said than done,” He told me. “For example, if you find a branded shirt in the market, even if you do not need it, you would be tempted to buy it.”
“That is true.” I agreed with him. “But then how to get over such temptations?”
Kunju Menon said: “Whenever you come across such situations, my advice is, always ask three questions to yourself.” The first question is- Is it absolutely necessary?  If the answer is yes, comes the second question- Can’t you do without that? If the answer to this is-no, you ask the next question- Can’t you postpone for tomorrow?
“Once you leave the decision for the next day, you will be surprised to see that even after months, you never needed it.” He concluded. I thanked him for his advice and took leave of him. Even now, after many years in service I remember and follow these golden rules.
       

               













2. Stepping into the Uncharted World of Officialdom.                                                                       
My college mate, Bhushan was waiting for me at the Eluru station when the Howrah Mail arrived at the platform. He told me that as he was on a holiday from his workplace at Madras, he thought he could take me to his house and introduce me to his parents and relatives to make my first few days in Andhra Pradesh comfortable. His father, Narsingh  Rao, being a former headmaster of the local school, knew some staff members of the Road Transport Corporation buses plying from Eluru to moffusil areas, and they could help in locating Gopalapuram, he told me.
I came across Bhushan in my second year of engineering, when he was in the third year electrical branch. My class mates had told me that he was the fastest in completing any work assigned to him, be it a tutorial or the drawings and he knew the short cuts in doing difficult assignments given in the class.
“Whatever work you do, you must put your heart and soul fully in that, irrespective of whether you are doing an original work or copying from someone else’s,” he advised me. “Once while I was struggling to complete a plan of the land surveyed by our team, I had made the mistake of copying from a survey plan prepared by a hard working class -mate,” Bhushan told me while narrating that incident. “Instead of ignoring an ink blot in the original, in my eagerness to show some originality, I made it to represent a tree and my friends who copied from me made it to look like a group of trees.” He chuckled reminiscing those days. “When during the discussions on the work, the Professor pointed out of never having seen a tree or trees there in that open playground, we had to justify our action. We tried to convince him saying that we even had our lunch that day right under the shade of the trees there. The amused Professor wanted us to verify the drawing at the site and then report to him. When we went there, we could not see even the semblance of a tree there! Blaming each other for the mess created and scolding the student who made the original drawing for being careless in his work, we took the unanimous decision to tell the Professor that the trees might have been cut and removed by someone after our field survey”. “But there must be the roots to justify your presumptions,” the Professor said and looked at Pai, our group leader, seeking an explanation.”The contractor, in his enthusiasm to get more money, must have  removed the  roots  as well to make the ground plain  so that  players don’t stumble and fall,” Pai had his ready reply. All, including the Professor had a hearty laugh then. 
I had heard of Pai earlier also. He was an easy going but well read student and was considered by students and teachers alike as an encyclopaedia on the advances happening in the technological field. Only problem with him was that he used to frequently ask embarrassing questions in the class to some lecturers on the field problems arising during execution and the approach to be taken to solve such situations. As these lecturers had only bookish knowledge on the subject, they preferred to avoid answering such queries and instead to bully him for interrupting the lectures. In an engineering institution, such students were never tolerated and the teachers always would harm them while awarding marks on tutorials and field work submitted by the students during the semesters. Pai had therefore to suffer during every year of his stay in the college due to his questioning habit.
Bhushan told me an incident in which Pai crossed words with a Professor, an authority on structures and structural engineering and that was the only time, Pai got his due recognition. While explaining the specifics of his tutorials, the Professor had the habit of asking students crowding around him, to make a bigger circle to facilitate everyone to hear him clearly. One day, when the Professor repeated his request, Pai did not budge. When questioned why he was not moving, Pai replied, “Sir, whatever be the circumference of the circle, Pai remains the same”. The Professor, though initially embarrassed by the reply, appreciated the young boy for his ready wit. From then on Pai was his blue-eyed boy as the Professor recognised the meritorious qualities of the student and started giving due weightage to his wise and intelligent queries on the subject.
It was well past midnight by the time we decided to hit the bed. We would have continued talking about our glorious days in the college, but for the pressing reason that Bhushan had to take the early morning train to Madras to be in his office on time.
At Eluru bus station, Bhushan’s father, Rao could locate the driver and conductor who were in charge of the bus to Gopalapuram and luckily they happened to be his old students. They got a porter to load and secure on top of the bus, my travel kit, a steel trunk and a hold-all, which I used to carry throughout my college days. My host requested them to ensure my safe reaching at Gopalapuram.“Please do not bother about him, sir”, they assured him. “We would drop him at the PWD guest house there which is located nearer to the highway on our route and we would also ask the care- taker there to make him feel at home.”
“You have nothing to worry,” Rao again assured me. “Wish you happy days in our state. Please drop in whenever you pass through this place.”I watched the venerable old man disappearing among the crowds as the bus moved on.
Gopalapuram is a village with a population of less than 2000. The watchman of the guest house, Basheer, an ex-serviceman, could speak to some extent    in Hindi and that made me feel at ease.
“You are the second official from a central organisation here”, Basheer told me one day, “the first being the village postman, Venkateswarlu. He is a helpful chap and would assist you with his knowledge of rules and regulations. He can also speak in English.”
It was a welcome information, since I had no idea of the way of working of central institutions. While in some organisations, new recruits were required to undergo induction training for 12 months, the Water Development Authority (WADA) administration probably did not feel the necessity for it, on the assumption that the new recruits would fend for themselves wherever they were posted.
 I remained busy for a couple of days writing letters to the regional office at Vijayawada requesting for posting staff, making available the requisite stationery  including special postage stamps- called service postage in official parlance- and such miscellaneous articles required for the office. When I did not get any reply to my letters even after a lapse of 3 weeks, I came to the conclusion that something had gone wrong. I decided to go to Vijayawada to sort out the issues.
“You being an officer cannot just go leaving your duty station, even to go to your Regional office, whenever you like.” Venkateswarlu the post man, my advisor on administrative matters, cautioned me. “There are certain formalities to be completed before undertaking such travels”.
I was curious to know the formalities and so asked him “Such as what?” He clarified.”You have to prepare a tour programme indicating the purpose of the tour, the likely transport to be used, the duration of the stay at your destination including the time of arrival and departure and send three copies to your boss for approval. The boss would return two copies duly signed and then only you can leave this place to meet your boss. If you do not follow the prescribed procedure, your superiors can take punitive action against you for deserting the post.”
“If there is an emergency, am I to follow this cumbersome procedure?” I asked him.”A letter takes a long time for getting the response”.
“In such situations you can get the requisite permission on phone”, he said. “Only, you have to get the written approval from the boss while you are at the regional office. But since none has a phone in this village, you have to go to the Post office at Tadepalligudem, the nearest town, an hour’s journey by bus, talk to your boss on phone and take the oral permission”
A formidable task indeed, considering the infrequent bus service to the nearest town and the limited working hours of the government offices.“But what to do if an emergency occurs necessitating my leaving the place on a Sunday or on a government holiday?” I had my doubts.“On holidays, the administration sleeps,” The postman said. “Hence emergencies are not entertained.”I appreciated his sense of humour and told him so.
About a month after my reaching Gopalapuram, one evening, when I was preparing my bed for getting ready to lie down and read, I heard the unusual sound of a jeep entering the guest house compound. I took it to be of some officer on his way to Rajamundhry thinking of spending the night here. He must be aware that he would not be able to cross over the river as the ferry services would be closed for the night.
The officer who came out of the vehicle introduced himself as Sharat Chandra Jain, the Chief of the Regional office of WADA located at Vijayawada. I introduced myself as the new officer who had joined the organisation six weeks back and opened the new office there at Gopalapuram as per the directions of the headquarters (Hqs.) at Delhi.
“Since morning I had been on the lookout for you,” he said as if complaining.”Based on your  charge report I received a couple of days back, I had written to you to come immediately to my office to discuss the actions needed to be taken, so that the head quarters could be informed of our readiness to start  the work. As I did not get any response from you to this and many other letters written to you and since one registered letter addressed to you was received back with the post master  remarking ‘ addressee not found’,  I decided to see for myself where you had opened the office.”
“To day morning I started from Vijayawada with the sole intention of locating you,” Jain continued. “First I went to one Gopalapuram village situated between Eluru  and Vijayawada, but none there knew about any  central office existing there. Hence, as advised by the postmaster there, I proceeded to another Gopalapuram about 20km. north of Eluru. Here also I could not find any one having opened our sub office. On contacting the local post master, he remembered of having returned a registered letter sent from my office, having failed to find the addressee.”
“I had almost given up the hope of meeting you”, Jain said in an exasperated voice.”Frankly speaking, I almost came to the conclusion that you were writing letters to me from your native place due to which the letters sent by my office never reached you and hence remained not replied or not referred in your letters. Luckily, that post master told me of the existence of this Gopalapuram about 60 kms. to the north-west  of Eluru. But for that guidance, I would not have ventured to reach here and instead would have gone back to Vijayawada and sent a report to Delhi that you had not joined  duty.”
“I opened the office here as per the directions given in my posting orders from the headquarters”, I explained to Jain.”You have also got a copy of that order wherein it is specified that I am to open the sub office of WADA at Gopalapuram connected by metalled road to Eluru. You have now taken that road to reach this place. So there cannot be any mistake about the place, since both the Gopalapurams  you visited are connected by tarred roads and not by water bound macadam road like this one”.
Jain had a hearty laugh listening to my justification. “This seems to be a small village”, Jain commented after he made himself comfortable in his room.  “How are you spending time here and still continuing to keep yourself busy since you do not know the local language and the people including the officials here do not appear to know any language other than Telugu?”
“Basheer, the watchman, takes care of my meals etc. and the postman teaches me Telugu when he comes.” I said. “Whenever they are not around, I spend time listening to radio for news and songs, since only vernacular news papers are available here.”
“A bad situation made good by a positive outlook”, Jain commented appreciating me.
“I would be here for a couple of days to discuss our work programme and to guide you in the nuances of government working since you are a fresher in the set-up. I would get some experienced staff posted to you to help in the field and office work. We would discuss these issues tomorrow morning. Till then, good night”. Jain headed to his bed room.
I stretched on my bed after adjusting the reading lamp to complete the remaining part of the novel of Agatha Christie.








3. Labyrinth of Official Procedures and Codal Formalities.
After the usual breakfast given by the watchman, Jain and I sat at the dining table to discuss generally about the work involved and the immediate requirements of staff and equipment needed to start the work within few days.
“You may be wondering why I am not able to give you the full complement of staff and other needed items in one go”, Jain said as if reading my thoughts. “There are rules and codal formalities to be followed before taking any action in our system. Every organisation has to have it’s budget sanctioned for the year before incurring expenditure on its staff, equipment and activities. The organisation then allocates a part of the budget to its regional/subordinate offices for meeting their expenditure as per requirements. It is similar to the budgeting done by a house-wife to meet the expenditure of the family”. Jain continued. “But there is a difference. In this system, the more you spend the budget allotted to you, you are considered more efficient  i.e. it is just opposite to a family’s concept of minimum spending and maximum saving in its budget”.
“This means that if one is extravagant with funds, he would be assessed as an efficient engineer?” I asked him, not able to believe the way the system works. “Supposing I try to save and spend less money out of the budget, what happens then?”
 Jain said “You will get less amount to spend. i.e. less money in the next year’s budget, because the organisation considers that you are not efficient in doing the job. This is what happened to one of my colleagues last year. Being careful in using the official vehicle, his petrol requirement was less than 100litres per month . Except for unavoidable circumstances, he always used public transport to reach the destinations within his jurisdiction.” Jain paused for a few minutes giving me some time to digest the subject, then he continued “This year, the administration enforced a cut of 20% on petrol based on last year’s consumption level for all its offices. Hence my colleague had to strain to restrict his use of petrol to 80 litres a month. He had to even cut down his monthly visits to the sites which could be approached only by using jeep, so as to restrict the demand for petrol. His boss was very unhappy about the slow progress of works at such sites and was critical of his lack of supervision.  He found out that his other colleagues who were liberal in using the vehicles the previous year and drawing more than 500 litres a month that year, could still afford to have the luxury of using 400 litres per month for their vehicles without any strain.”Jain said. “The moral of the episode is that in this organisation, if you spend more in a year, even with budgetary cuts, you would get adequate funds to spend in the subsequent year!”
I was getting introduced to the way one has to work in the system. I had heard that red tape is an integral part of the way of working in any organisation. But I did not know how it restricted taking actions. I therefore prodded him with more questions to understand his limitations in taking actions to post staff, procuring the requisite equipments etc. After all, the staff and equipment are essentially required to carry out a work entrusted to any office to complete the task within the scheduled period. I also wanted to know the rules governing my tours etc. needed for supervising the works and for interacting with him at his office.
“The posting of any staff is to be done either by transferring the requisite officials from other offices or by recruiting locally, depending on the level.”Jain said.”In our office, unless the official transferred is interested in the posting, any transfer would be resisted and the transferred individual would try all available avenues to get the orders cancelled. Thus there would be a delay in filling up the post. For junior posts in the administrative and technical cadres, I can recruit the staff locally, but I have to get clearances from various offices that they have no staff to spare, and then start the recruitment process. Even for taking this action, the approval from headquarters is required and then the local employment exchange is to be contacted to recommend candidates.”
Jain continued .”If that office gives clearance stating that they have none to recommend from their list, then the posts can be advertised  in the local news papers detailing the level of staff needed, the expected vacancies to be filled, age limits, minimum and desirable qualifications needed and the pay scale and allowances for the posts concerned.  Minimum one month time has to be given for interested people to apply. After interview and selection, it would take another couple of months for the selected candidates to join the posts.  Thus at least a year would be needed for getting the posts filled after initiating the process of direct recruitment due to the clearances and approvals required as per rules. Hence I always prefer a combination of transfer and recruitment approach for filling the posts as I am sure that I would be able to get some man power for the work”. Jain looked at me to see whether I am able to follow his clarifications on the rule position.
“Similarly, if I want to buy some equipment, I just cannot to go to the market, pay cash and get the requisites.” Jain continued. “I have to first get a clearance from the Headquarters, call for tenders or quotations, set up a committee to examine the bids and on the basis of their recommendations, place the order for the supply., a process which may take months and even years to fructify. If the requirement is of stationery such as writing paper pen, pencils etc., then I have to place the indent on our Stationery Department who would after examining my needs, send the items in a sealed parcel by train, which I would have to collect from the nearest railway station. Of course, for requirements of small value, in an emergency, I could call for quotations and decide on the lowest quotation and buy the items from the local market so long as the cost is within the financial powers given to me by the headquarters. Same is the case with buying stationery items”.
“This would show that in WADA, the integrity of an official is always suspected”, I remarked. “But, I do not understand why the system looks at its employees with suspicion, as if all of them are out to eat up money? Even in criminal cases, it is said that everyone is innocent unless otherwise proved.”
“In every organisation, the financial Wing or Section considers, otherwise”. Jain said. “For them, every official is a crook unless otherwise proved!”
I was slowly getting to understand the fundamentals of working of the system.
“My postman, who is knowledgeable about rules, tells me that even for going out of this place, I have to send an application in triplicate and get approvals before leaving the place”, I told him. “Is it not a curb on my freedom of movement?”
“When you are in charge of an office, you are under a discipline and would need to take certain approvals for your intended actions even if it be for leaving the head quarters for  attending to your personal work”, Jain patiently explained to me. “You have to get your tours approved, leave sanctioned etc.  If you do not get the requisite approvals, your monthly pay would be withheld, your tour allowances would not be released and you may end up without any money in hand.”
“You mean to say that at the end of this month, I would not get my salary for want of approvals?” I asked him surprised. “How long I have to wait to get my current month’s salary?”
“It depends,” Jain said smiling. “Being a newly recruited officer, your charge report i.e. a report in the prescribed format that you have joined duty has to be sent to our headquarters in seven copies by my regional office. The Hqs. in course of time would send copies to concerned Accountant Generals(AGs), in this case the AG of Andhra Pradesh, and other concerned officers notifying about your appointment .The concerned AG, in turn, would issue a pay slip in your favour authorising the District Treasury Officer to pay your salary. Since in your case, you are under a sub treasury, the district officer would endorse a copy of the pay slip to the Sub officer with a copy to you.  Then you have to prepare and claim your salary in the prescribed form, in triplicate of course, and submit it to the sub treasury who would release your salary through a cheque drawn on the local bank.  The whole exercise normally takes 4 to 5 months. But if one or two clerks in the chain of offices involved remain on leave during this period, you had it!! it would then  take many more days for you to get your pay”.
“If I am to go on leave for a month, what is to be done?” I asked him.
“Your leave has to be sanctioned by the headquarters and to be notified following a similar procedure,” Jain clarified. “Then your leave salary would be authorised by your AG through another communication designated as leave salary pay slip and you would be able to draw the salary for the period you were on leave. This process  may take a couple of months, but your salary for the period after return from leave could be claimed by you on the basis of your earlier pay slip which would remain valid when you return and join the duty. However, some ignorant treasury officers might quote obsolete rules and demand a certificate that you were alive during the period of leave to release your pay for that period! The certificate as per those rules has to be from a government officer who knows you.”
“Is it not absurd to demand such a certificate after I join duty alive and kicking?” I asked. “Does it not amount to harassing an individual?”
“The rules were meant for cases when an officer dies during the leave period.” Jain explained. “A certificate would enable the treasury officer to release the pay for that period of leave when he was alive. But the overzealous treasury people do not want to take any chance about the leave pay and hence insist for such certificates irrespective of the officer joining the duty after leave. After all, rules are rules”. Jain chuckled enjoying himself the joke. He continued after a pause. “The moral is not to go on leave as far as possible if you want to get your pay without any hassle.
“I am told that rules are meant to help people,” I told him. “But from what you told me I am to understand that rules are causing only impediments in the smooth execution of works.” Jain concurred with my views “If you go strictly according to rule book, no work can be done but it all depends on the individuals who are entrusted with the task.”
“Now regarding our work, let us go to the site to study the lay of the land and to decide the possible locations for the project across the river.” Jain asked me to follow him while getting into his vehicle.
After reconnoitring the site, Jain said “You have to do a number of surveys to prepare the detailed plan of the sites selected, drill a few holes in the river bed and on the banks of the river to ascertain the depth of overburden and rock levels etc. This mighty river has to be controlled and the flow diverted through turbines to generate power. Lots o f planning is involved before taking up the construction of such major projects. Hence you can take credit for accomplishing an important part of this gigantic project“.
“I am sure with your guidance I would be able to complete the preparation of the project report.” I told him.” But why do you say that I alone should take the credit?”
Jain said. “I am shortly being transferred to Delhi Hqs. as I have completed my tenure of more than 3 years in the regional office. An officer has already been identified by Hqs. to take my place at Vijayawada .If he does not delay his relief from there through manipulations, he would be here within three months. By that time I would get you the minimum staff and equipment so that you would be able to start the work and achieve some progress in investigations.”
“Where are you likely to be posted?” I asked him.
Jain said “In Delhi office normally since I am to retire within next two years. I do not expect the administration to post me outside other than at my requested place of posting, which is Delhi.”
By evening, we were back at Gopalapuram. While sipping tea in the guest house, he told me about his vast experience in the organisation, his happy moments and crisis ridden days during his service and of his family.
“Looking back, I feel happy that I had an interesting life in this organisation. The bosses, colleagues and subordinates have been good to me and cooperated with me throughout so that I could successfully complete the assignments given to me. I am sure you would not regret joining the organisation and you would have enough opportunities to prove your mettle in the long run”.
After a late night dinner, he went back to his room wishing me good night. Jain was to return to Vijayawada next day morning as per the tour programme.
Next morning ,while getting into the vehicle, he told me. “You have a long way to go and you would be enjoying the powers and privileges of a senior officer during your service, which may at times try to swerve you from the right path, prompting you to do things wrong. Be ever watchful”. After a pause, he continued “Your powers should not be used to punish an innocent official nor to acquire wealth through foul means. If you keep yourself level-headed, you would be able to achieve many great things in life. Keep smiling and be helpful to every one- that is all I have to tell you. Till we meet again, bye.”
The jeep disappeared in a cloud of dust thrown up by the metalled road to Eluru.





4. Art of Navigating through Loopholes in Rule Books.
March, 1965, was a month of tremendous activities in my office since many official letters reached me informing the transfer of experienced engineers and posting of locally recruited clerical staff and helpers to my office. A jeep for my use, a truck carrying field equipments and some stationery items were also on the way, I was told. The staff and the equipments reached Gopalapuram during the first half of the month itself. Jain was true to his words.
The postman, Venkateswarlu, continued to be helpful in his inimitable style. He introduced me to a local zamindar who had a couple of residential buildings, then vacant. The postman told me that the zamindar would be able to help me by sparing the requisite number of buildings for my office and the residences for the staff.
For getting  the approvals for renting out private buildings for official use, Jain had told me that I would be required to justify the area available and the rent sought by the landlord, and also enclose a certificate from the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) or in their absence from the State PWD about the rent being reasonable. I would be also required to get an agreement signed by the owner agreeing to spare the accommodation to the office on rent at the rate specified. These documents were required to be sent to the regional office for getting the requisite sanction.
Renting out private accommodation for the staff was not a problem since all the staff members being bachelors, they were happy to share the accommodation and hence two buildings were adequate to meet the staff needs. Hence out of the three buildings promised by the Zamindar, I had to get the approval for only one building meant for our office.
Private buildings are never constructed to suit government norms prescribed for office purposes. As per the guidelines received from Jain, allowable accommodation for my office was about 50 sq. Metres whereas the smallest building spared by the Zamindar had a plinth area of 100 sq. Metres. I did not know how I would be able to justify such a building for my small office.
Venkat, one of the senior engineers posted to me had more than 10 years experience in the field. I sought his advice. “We can easily justify this accommodation”. He assured me. I just could not understand his optimism . I asked him “How can we bridge the gap between the permissible area of 50 sq.m and the available area of 100 sq.m.?”
Venkat clarified. “These guidelines specify the permissible areas for the head of office, the subordinate staff, space for keeping files etc . but there are loop holes- for example, the provision for storing equipments ,the normal and special store items needed for a field office like ours ,etc., is not detailed here. Likewise, space for a transit camp for visiting field staff is also not included in these guidelines. If we include these special requirements, we could justify an accommodation requirement of more  than 100 sq.m.”
“Then it is o.k. But what about getting the requisite certificates from the State PWD?” I asked him. The local officials in the revenue and agriculture offices here had told me that this is a time consuming process, taking more than 6 months in the normal course.  We cannot wait so long to start our office and other activities.
Venkat said. “I can get these papers from PWD within a few days since my friend is working as an engineer there. You may please address a letter to the local PWD office for the requisite certificates. I would personally carry the letter to that office and hand it over to the concerned and personally follow it up.”
Venkat could get the certificates within a week. As suggested by him, after getting the lease agreement from the land lord, I deputed him with all the requisite documents to Vijayawada to pursue and get the sanction for hiring the office building.
“Till we get the approval, it is better to continue our office at the PWD guest house”, Venkat cautioned me. “At times the concerned staff in our regional office might create hassles. If we take over the building now and that office does not give the sanction, our credibility here would be at stake.”
“We have justified the space requirements and PWD has certified the rent reasonability. Then why there should be any problem?” I asked.
“Our finance people are a class by themselves. It is very difficult to satisfy them.” Venkat said with a sigh. “Unless they are convinced, no approval would come. In fact they enjoy the true powers without having any responsibility on work matters”.
“Let it be as proposed,” I told him. “Let us now start thinking of programming the work with the available staff”.
 Being fresh from college I had only the theoretical knowledge of going about planning the investigations for a hydroelectric project.  Venkat with his years of field experience could help me to put that theoretical knowledge into practice. Together we planned the work schedule specifying the tasks to be entrusted to each of the junior engineering staff so as to commence the field investigations.
Venkat advised me a few days after the works started “we have to send periodically the progress reports on the works carried out on a weekly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, half yearly and yearly basis to both the offices at Vijayawada and Delhi.”
I wanted to know “Why should we send the progress reports periodically to Delhi? What would they do with our reports? Is it not for the Vijayawada office to apprise the Hqs. about the progress of our works?”
”Normally, the Delhi people open a file to put it in that and tick mark the check list of having received the report,  nothing else,” Venkat  said. “No body even bothers to read it but if we fail to send any one such report, they would start sending reminders as if for want of some important information to be received from us, the Officers at Hqs. would face embarrassment! Then the regional office would call for an explanation from us for failing in our duty.”
“Suppose due to some reason, the work could not progress. What are we to do then?” I asked.
“We have to send a ‘Nil’ return,” Venkat clarified. “The more one wastes stationery, the better one gets appreciated for being diligent in the work.”
Venkat, though a junior in the hierarchy, proved an asset to my office and me in particular, helping to tide over difficult rule book stipulations without attracting the objections from the administrative and financial wizards of the regional office and head quarters. Due to his positive approach, the works could be pushed ahead instead of waiting for approvals to proceed with the works. He always used to find some method to do the work instead of blaming the system and the archaic PWD rules of the 19th century.
One day, while we were discussing the procedure for getting our vehicle repaired, Venkat pointed out. “Rules stipulate that for any office work or purchase, quotations have to be called and work awarded to the  lowest tenderer. Normally what I used to do was to go to the best mechanic in the town and ask him to get me 3 quotations from different mechanics for the work to be done, so that his quotation remains the lowest to award the work to him.”
“Does it not tantamount to circumventing the rules to benefit an individual?”, I asked him.
“Certainly not”, he asserted. “We are following the rules which say that work is to be awarded to the vendor who gives lowest tender.  In practice, big workshops would not even bother to submit a tender / quotation for small and petty jobs and if we follow strictly the rule book, we would be wasting only our time without getting any result. Further, we would be hauled upon by the bosses for not getting the job done quickly.  Finance people would bark upon us for not following the prescribed codes if we deviate from the procedure. The via media is to go about like this so that the mechanic carries out the repairs and in the meanwhile we complete the formalities needed.”
“What I meant to say was that we would follow the rules to complete the works.” Venkat added.
By the time monsoon showers came, and the river water levels rose, we could complete the requisite survey works and drilling works for the dam as planned without breaking the rules.
According to the schedule prepared by us, we were to prepare the site drawings during the monsoon period. We had no difficulty to start the drawing work in the office as we had taken over the accommodation for the office from the Zamindar. By September end we were ready with our dam site drawings based on site surveys and had progressed well in the geological explorations and other data collection.
Meanwhile, there were some changes at the regional office. Jain got transferred to his coveted posting in Delhi. His successor was one Subbaiah, a native of Andhra Pradesh. On receiving the transfer orders, Subbaiah rushed to Vijayawada without wasting any time and relieved Jain.
It was sometime at the end of October that I got a message about the tour programme of the new incumbent to inspect our office and the site works. The visit was scheduled from 13th November and according to the programme, he would also bring an expert from the Delhi Hqs. to finalise the dam alignment.
The dam site surveys on the Godavari river were being carried out at Polavaram, about 25 kms. from Gopalapuram.  State PWD had constructed an inspection bungalow there during the British period for the inspecting officers. As very few such officers came for inspecting the works at Polavaram and beyond in the interior areas notified as ‘Agency’ areas, the accommodation was not in demand by local officers and hence was not being maintained properly.
After we took up the survey work we got it furnished as per our requirements so that the field staff and the visiting officers could comfortably stay there. We had also made arrangements for mess using the facilities available in the kitchen and dining hall attached to the building. Being in an interior location, vegetables were always in short supply there and we had to get them from Rajamundhry, an important town in the East Godavari district, about 50 kms. downstream of our site, but, chicken and eggs were available here and the river had plenty of fish.
Subbiah’s visit to the site was only for a day as he had to attend meetings with local irrigation engineers at their head quarters at Dhowleswaram, famous for the century old anicut (diversion dam) constructed by Sir Arthur Cotton . The anicut, situated about 4 kms. downstream of Rajahmundhry, ensured adequate water for irrigation in the delta areas making it the rice bowl of south India.
“What have we got for lunch?” Subbiah suddenly asked me while we were discussing the work scheduled for the season.
“Apart from rice and other vegetable dishes, I have also arranged for some special non-vegetarian items,” I said.
“But to-day is Tuesday, man,” he told me. “Being an orthodox Hindu, I do not like to take non-vegetarian items on this day”.
“Our cook has made a delicious chicken curry,” I told him.
“Chicken! Then it is o.k. we should not disappoint the cook”. Subbiah seemed to reconcile with the situation.
Later on the day, Venkat commented that the boss accepted the menu fully knowing that while Tuesdays came every week, chicken might not oblige to present itself that frequently.
The Chief Engineer (CE) of the Godavari anicut and canal system, Tata Chari, was famous in the department as the most ‘Abominable No Man’ the department had ever seen. According  to his subordinates, any proposal put up to him for approval would be initially returned with a ‘no’ and unless pressure comes from top officers, the proposal would ultimately find its way to a ‘miscellaneous file’ till retrieved due to references from very important persons (VIPs). Hence when Subbaiah wanted to have a reconnaissance of the river from an upstream point where the tributary Indravathi  joins Godavari, till the anicut, I knew that it would be difficult to get the PWD inspection boat spared for the purpose if I approached the CE. Venkat  took upon himself the responsibility. He told me that he knew the Executive Engineer (EE), Nageshwar Rao, who was always willing to help colleagues and fellow engineers in times of need. He contacted him with the request and it was readily approved at the EE’s level and we could carry out the survey without any problem.
Subbaiah’s approach to work was entirely different from that of his predecessor, Jain. During my interactions with Subbaiah for a short period before lunch and during the meetings with the irrigation officers, he appeared quite casual towards work and his views lacked in-depth knowledge of the subject, be it in the technical field or in the administrative and financial issues. To me he appeared to be a shirker, avoiding to take responsibilities and in giving decisions. Hence I knew that I have to be very careful while dealing with him.
“Have you met Partha and Prasad, your colleagues in the other sub offices at Tiruvuru and Eluru?”, He asked me while we were having dinner that night.
“No. I did not get any chance.”
“I think it would be a good idea if all of us meet at some small town other than at Vijayawada to discuss our common problems as also to have a comprehensive work programme chalked out for the regional office.”He spelt out his idea. “At Vijayawada, it would be difficult to get accommodation for all the officers in the PWD guest house. During my tours, I have seen a nice Travellers’ Bungalow at Kalluru which is rarely in demand. You can come via Kovvuru, Prasad from Eluru and Partha from Tiruvuru and meet at Kalluru, say in the first week of every month so that we can discuss and sort out problems if any to expedite the work.”
“I would be too glad to come”, I said. The prospects of meeting my senior colleagues made me very happy.     

















5. Experiences in Speaking Telugu and Writing ‘Ramkoti’.
Kalluru was a bigger village than Gopalapuram in those days and could boast of having a number of state government offices apart from medical and educational facilities. Before the formation of Andhra Pradesh, it was part of Nizam’s  territory and therefore the local travellers bungalow (TB) was being maintained as per the then existing manuals, providing for cooks, khalasis, gardeners and a host of other workers for its upkeep. Such a liberal provision ensured not only well-furnished rooms, but also neatly laid out gardens with every such bungalow.
I left Gopalapuram early in the morning hoping to reach Kalluru by lunch time. Being a touring officer, the organisation had approved the provision of a cook cum helper for helping me out during tours. Hence in the jeep, I used to carry a ration box and a folding cot with mosquito net apart from my suitcase containing dress, toiletry and office papers.
The ration box had separate partitions for keeping cooking stove and kerosene oil, grocery items like rice, pulses etc. Such back up was essential during tours to interior project sites since in the villages enroute, there were no eating places or even rest houses. Like the officers of the Survey of India Department, field officers of WADA also were oriented to work under such situations.
The metalled road to Eluru was in a shambles after the rains. According to local PWD engineers there was no hope of getting the repairs done till next February as the budget allocation was expected only by then. Since the budgeted amount had to be spent before 31st March, the quality of the rush work would naturally be below par and hence the condition of the road would continue to be the same as before.
The highway from Eluru to Kalluru was a well maintained one fully tarred and hence I could reach Kalluru by 12.30 noon. The TB had a conference room, attached with a dining hall, rooms with attached baths, a kitchen and a store room. An annexe building in the same compound had provided accommodation for junior staff.
 Ramaiah , Technical Officer attached to the regional office at Vijayawada who was coordinating the activities  told me that  other colleagues from Eluru and Tiruvuru were expected shortly. He had Kept the rooms ready for us, room no. 1 for the Chief, Subbaiah, room no.2 for Officer from Tiruvuru, room no.3 for the officer from Eluru and room no. 4 for me, being the junior most officer.
During lunch, Subbaiah introduced me to the other colleagues, Partha Rao in charge of Tiruvuru office and Prasad Sastry in charge of Eluru office. He also introduced me to the four Technical Officers, Keshava Rao, Ramaiah, Venkayya and Dharma Rao attached to the regional office. He was of the view that we should meet at 3.30 pm and decide on the programme of work for the Unit.
After lunch, we three, Partha , Prasad and myself  sat in the hall to get more acquainted about ourselves. Partha Rao, an officer in his thirties, appeared as a  pleasant and jovial officer. He was stocky built and of medium height, had a remarkable physique but not over weight and had a square jaw and sparkling eyes. He had earlier worked in Kerala and hence had a working knowledge of Malayalam. Earlier he was posted in the Project Appraisal Unit at the headquarters. When he was offered a posting in Andhra Pradesh, he was quite happy to join the place since Delhi was a crowded city and his wife, a native of Warangal, could not adjust with the life style of Delhi.
“Here I do not have to rush to catch a transport to reach the office in time. I could just walk down to the office.” Partha told me. “Further being a field assignment, I have a challenging task.”
Prasad had only a few months experience in the organisation, that too in the main office. He was a fresher to the field organisation, just like me. As soon as he was asked his willingness to be posted to Vijayawada Region, he jumped at the opportunity to be in the field and that too in his native district. He appeared fully enthusiastic about his new assignment. Prasad said. “I too wanted such an assignment instead of sitting at the head quarters and doing odd jobs, I was finding it difficult to adjust with that life soon after my appointment when we were all aspiring to build civil engineering structures instead of whiling away time reading routine reports and commenting on them. I got married when I got admission in the engineering college as was the custom in our place,” he added while talking about his marital status. “But the marriage got consummated only after my getting the job!”
When we all reassembled at the scheduled time for the meeting, tea was ready.  Subbaiah initiated the discussions giving a brief of the work entrusted to the Unit and what he expected of us in the field season.
“Our Gopalapuram office should be able to complete the dam site investigations at Polavaram and prepare the report within this year so that that office could be shifted to Venkatapuram to start the dam site investigations there”, he said.” The Eluru and Tiruvuru Offices would continue with the investigations for the upper and lower link canals proposed for connecting the Godavari with the Krishna River. You may draw up the further work plans accordingly to-day so that we could discuss the issues involved”
I was happy to hear that my office would be shifted out of Gopalapuram village by year end since I felt that any other place would be better than this small village. Venkatapuram was the Taluk headquarters and hence the facilities there should be better, I thought. But later events proved that I was thoroughly mistaken.
According to the plan I prepared, the field work could be completed before June and thereafter, the detailed report could be prepared. If any data needed verification on the ground or any gaps were to be filled by field surveys, the needed action could be taken from our office itself since we would be having 3 months of field season from October to December before we shifted to Venkatapuram. Partha’s suggestions based on his past field experience helped me to draw up the plan by the third day of our stay at Kalluru.
The time available for the Eluru and Tiruvuru offices to complete the works were another 2 years, as they were entrusted with the investigations for the link canals each of about  150 kms. in length. Hence they were also busy during these days to draw up their further work plans in consultation with Subbaiah. As per our programme, we were to finalise these plans the next day before we dispersed,
In the evening , when we 3 were having a stroll in the garden, Partha asked me as to how, I was able to spend the time after office hours and on holidays at Gopalapuram.
“During my days in Delhi, I did not have any difficulty as I had many colleagues and friends in a similar position and Delhi had many places of entertainment, but your case is different.”
“True, initially I had some difficulty to adjust with the place”, I told him. “But after a doctor, Prakash Rao, a bachelor, joined the newly opened government dispensary, I had some company to go to the local cinema theatre to watch Telugu films mainly based on Ramayana or Mahabharata and at times on social issues.”
“But you do not know the local language then to enjoy such movies”, Partha expressed his doubts.
“The doctor used to brief me on the story and during the show explained to me any dialogue which I could not understand. Thus I could pick up the language to some extent and it helped me to deal with the locals.”
“Limited knowledge of the language can put you in trouble sometimes.” Partha cautioned me. “The locals have their slangs and if you do not follow that, you could be misunderstood as happened to me while working in Kerala”.
“True, it did land me in a very peculiar situation”, I said. ”My washer-man (dhobi) who used to come to collect clothes on weekends, always was curious to know why my people have not come to stay with me. He might have probed my cook about it, but not getting a proper reply, he must have decided to ask me directly. One day, while collecting the few clothes for washing, he asked me in Telugu about the details of my family and when he would be lucky to see my ‘Amma’. I explained to him that being the mother of seven children, she could not afford to come and stay with me at least for a couple of years. He stood shocked for some time, murmured a few words and walked out of the house in a huff. I could not understand the reason for his change in mood.”
Next day, when Dr. Prakash Rao came to my house, he was laughing continuously. He had come to know from the local villagers about the contents of my conversation with the dhobi.
“I did not expect that you had deserted your wife and 7 children to come and stay here”, the doctor told me narrating what he heard from the local people. “According to the dhobi, you are not a man of virtue but a villain only interested in producing children and leaving the girls at the first available opportunity while looking for new pastures.”
“My god! I never told him any such thing.” I said. “He just asked me about my family and when my mother would come to stay with me. I then told him that mother would not be able to come here and I have to make my own arrangements.”
”I immediately knew that your half baked knowledge of Telugu had landed you in a mess.” The doctor told me.”Amma in local parlance means wife and when he came to know that at this young age you had fathered 7 children, it really shocked him. And when you said that your wife would not come here and you have to make local arrangements, he really got annoyed and felt bad about your intentions”.
“Now the locals must be thinking that I am really a bad man”, I said. “How to correct them? Otherwise I would not be able to survive here”.
“Nothing to worry”, the doctor consoled me.”Knowing you and your family background, I had already explained to the dhobi and others that the misunderstanding occurred due to your lack of knowledge of Telugu. Even they had a hearty laugh at your expense. Hence please remember that in future till you master the language, while dealing with the locals, ask your khalasi to explain to them rather than your venturing to clarify doubts.”
I looked at Partha to know his reactions to my experience. He just smiled.
“Though I had a good working knowledge of Malayalam, I also had gone through such embarrassing situations and hence my advice,” he said enjoying the episode.
Prasad did not have any such language problem during his comparatively short stay while at Delhi because he had a good working knowledge of Hindi. But he was unhappy with his assignments there. I was under the impression that the work in the Planning Unit at the head quarters would be more interesting than all other jobs since this would expose those involved with planning of water resources a great opportunity to know about the work at a national level. So I was curious to know why Prasad opted for a field posting.
“Being a fresh recruit, seniors were not interested in entrusting me with the work of any responsibility or of works of urgent nature.” Prasad said.”So they asked me to study some reports and make briefs on them. I felt it more like a repetition of our life in college when professors used to ask us to go to library to locate references whenever they were in no mood to take classes.
“Getting bored of the work, I asked my colleague, Mahesh, a veteran in the section, to advise me as to how to meaningfully use the time available”.
Prasad then gave us a gist of his conversation with Mahesh as below.
 “You are from Andhra and you must be knowing all about the famous Bhadrachalam Sree Rama temple there”, Mahesh asked me.
‘“Yes, I know that it is an important pilgrimage centre. But what has it got to do with our work here?” I wanted to know from him.
‘“Well, you then must be knowing all too well that if you write the holy name of ‘Sree Ram’ one crore times and deposit the work there in the temple, you would be able to get any boon you wish from the Lord.” The old man said smiling. “Since you have enough time here after doing the job entrusted to you by your boss, why not then start writing ‘Ramkoti (Ram one crore times) like me?”
‘“For writing ‘Ramkoti’, I need a life time,” I told Mahesh. “Those in service would not be able to do that. It can be done only by retired people or those who have lots of spare time and interest in doing it. How come you are able to do that in this office? Who told you about its efficacy?”
‘“I was exposed to this holy work when I was posted in a major R&D organisation.” Mahesh replied. “When I joined that office as a fresh recruit, I had gone there with lots of hope of doing some good work, like you now. But the seniors imbibed in me a work culture that doing no work is the best way to get time-bound promotions without any hassle. In that set up, none asks for progress reports nor  a target date for completing a research project. After all, research takes a lot of time to fructify, the old timers used to insist. They had always that excuse for doing nothing.
‘“It was in this organisation one of the frustrated officer explained to me the benefits of writing ‘Ramkoti to achieve bliss not only in this life but also in the next”. Mahesh continued.” As I too got frustrated within a couple of years there, I also got initiated into this spiritual exercise and blessed by Him, I landed in this organisation, another heaven. I do not think I would be able to complete another ‘Ramkoti’ here as I have only a few years to go, but I would certainly attempt it to get salvation.” Mahesh squeezed my palms to ensure that I was following him.
‘“Look to write a single word ‘Sree Ram’ takes a maximum of 7 seconds,  ie. in a minute, one can easily write  8 such words or in an hour a maximum of 500 words.” Mahesh explained.” Our working hours being from 9.30 A.M. to 5.30 P.M. with a lunch break of 30 minutes, normally extended to one hour and 2 tea breaks of 15 minutes each extending to 30minutes, our effective working hours per day work out to 6 hours and we work for six days a week from Monday to Saturday.
‘“In a year of 365 days, we are allowed to take 30 days of earned leave, 12 days of casual leave, 16 government holidays, 2 restricted holidays and also have 52 Sundays and 3-4 days of unscheduled holidays due to deaths of VIPs, elections etc. Hence we are left with 250 working days-ie. 1500 working hours per year. Are you able to follow me?”
“So far I am able to understand you” I said.
‘“Out of these 1500 hours, since some time has to be kept for attending to personal work such as bill payments, local purchases  and other demands from home, we have say about 1000 hours per year to do this spiritual duty of writing ‘Ramkoti’. Hence in 20 years time you would be able to complete this exercise. Then you could go on pilgrimage to Bhadrachalam temple to submit the book of ‘Ramkoti’ at the feet of the Lord and get His blessings.”
‘”But this would need many reams of papers,” I raised a genuine doubt. “It is a costly investment.”
‘“Do not worry about the costs”. Mahesh pacified me. “I have worked out that also. In a single sheet, using both sides, one can write 500 such words and hence, you would need only 4 such sheets per day, which the department can easily afford to give you  for such a noble purpose. Hence you can do the work without bothering about the costs involved.”
Both myself and Partha enjoyed the episode narrated by Prasad.
“We are enjoying your discussions with Mahesh. Please continue”, I told my colleague.
“The nature of working at the headquarters in those few months gave me the feeling that ultimately I might also turn out to be a follower of Mahesh if I continued there” Prasad said reminiscing those days of boredom and inaction. “I then decided I should get out and join the field assignments as and when opportunities came. Hence I gave an application to the administration to consider my posting to a field assignment early. Mahesh had told me that there were no takers for field jobs and if requested, I would get it early and here I am.”
As planned, we completed the year’s work schedule and discussed and got it approved by Subbaiah on the last day of our stay at Kalluru. We also decided that we all would meet at the same place every 3 months to review the progress.






6 .First Movement Orders- Goodbye to Gopalapuram.
Field investigations for a dam include many components- topographical surveys to prepare the contour plan i.e , the layout of the dam site area and its levels with reference to the mean sea level; sub surface / geological investigations for finding out the rock and its levels below the ground; material surveys to assess the quality and quantity of the materials used in construction such as  rock, sand, clay etc ; hydrological observations to collect the in-situ data  about the river flows including sediment flows at frequent intervals daily and field observations on rainfall, evaporation etc. Apart from these, the field staff has also to collect data of villages likely to be affected by the project including the population, crops cultivated, live stock and other important information about buildings and other structures, roads, railways and other facilities existing in the project area. A lot of information has also to be collected from local offices of revenue, agriculture, environment and forests, PWD, and other concerned offices.
Progress on surveys and other field investigations could be monitored and controlled as these works are quantifiable. However, monitoring the progress in collection of data from various government sources is a tedious one as it involves the cooperation of the concerned officials. They do not like to be pressurised to do a job unless the direction came from the top. Hence I had to depute a technical officer from my office who knew the local language and had pleasing manners to deal with the generally disgruntled lower level functionaries maintaining the relevant records.  My choice fell on Venkat. I directed him to form his own group to do the work.
Partha had told me at Kalluru that many of the circulars/ letters issued by the head quarters at Delhi were not to be taken seriously as they were issued by that office in a routine manner. I did not fully believe him then, but had the experience of it when I received a circular from Delhi forwarded duly by the regional office for my compliance. The letter referred to the directions of the Hon’ble Minister about the availability of the head of the geological institution who had retired then. He had met the Minister offering his services to WADA for all water related projects and the Minister felt that his vast experience in the field should be utilised in project investigations. Enclosing a copy of his biodata, the concerned administrative officer from head quarters had asked the regional offices to get the views from their sub- offices about the suitability of appointing the retired officer for the work.  Instead of taking a decision at Delhi, the administration, in a routine manner, wanted the juniors in the field offices to decide about the usefulness of this high ranking officer!  I showed the circular to Venkat pointing out the callous way the administration dealt with the case.
“Please mark it to me for giving my views”, Venkat said with a wicked smile. “I would send it to my drill khalasi to report whether he would be able to use the services of this gentleman”.
After a pause, Venkat continued with his comments as to how he expected his khalasi would respond.
“My khalasi would certainly report that such people would be of no use to him. He wanted helpers who would be able to carry the drill machinery, etc.  at the site and this officer would not be in a position to do so.”
I laughed at the joke.
“Then we can send a report to Delhi that  after reviewing his biodata and taking into account  the requirements of work, the candidate  does not appear to have the requisite experience and hence he could be asked to apply after he gets adequate experience so that we could consider his application at that point of time.” I said.
I narrated the incident to Partha when he came to my office to collect some spare survey equipments next week.
“Administration works always like that”, he told me. “There are many such instances when they use their in-born wisdom to do things without bothering about the consequences. I had a funny experience some time back when the Delhi office, in their enthusiasm to train officers in various fields, as directed by the management, nominated an officer, Himanshu, who was at the verge of retirement, to my office.
‘“Why did you opt for training at this age?” I asked him when he reported to me at Tiruvuru. “You should have better finalised your pension papers instead of trying to learn field surveys and investigations at this age.”
‘“I never opted for this training.”Himanshu said. “It appears that according to directives issued by higher authorities, all officers should have field experience before they are kept at the head quarters.  As I did not have any field experience all these years, the administration, not to be blamed for their failure, decided to give me the chance in the field and hence sent me here since you had a vacancy. If my bio data does not show the  field experience, I have been warned, that I may not be even eligible for pension benefits. After all, administration has to follow rules.”
“Himanshu could not do much in the field since he had all the age related problems”, Partha continued.” Added to it was the problem of communication since he did not know Telugu to converse with the workers. “
“You could have sent him back to Delhi reporting about his problems” I told him
“I could have done that”, Partha said. “But that would have given him a bad chit affecting his case for pension”
I had my doubts. “He would have already earned his pension serving the organisation all these years. How could then any one stop his rightful pension and that too when he has less than 2 years for superannuation?”
Partha said. “Rules are funny. When one joins the organisation, he is appointed on a temporary basis. Unless he is made permanent, he is not eligible for pension but if he dies during his temporary service, his wife would be eligible for pension called the family pension! Hence Himanshu wants to die before retirement so that at least his wife would get some pension”.
“Though Himanshu  was not good either in the field work or in our office work, I gave him a good report at the end of the year to enable him to become permanent and get his pension.” Partha added.
“But you are encouraging inefficiency by giving a good report to an otherwise useless chap,” I accused him.
“I agree with you, “Partha said smiling. “But remember one thing that the organisation is to be blamed for creating this situation. They could have posted him to the field years ago when he had the energy to work in such circumstances. Now he has no energy and they want him to complete a formality. They could have waived off this condition in his case and allowed him to retire peacefully.”
Partha narrated many such instances where the administration failed in the past.
“Don’t go strictly by rules while dealing with the personal cases of individuals,“ Partha advised me the next morning while returning to Tiruvuru. “Every time when you deal with personal cases, do not cursorily treat them as files containing a bunch of papers, but as individuals craving for administrative help and justice. When staff members approach you with grievances, always give them a sympathetic hearing .  If you maintain such an attitude, you are then sure to succeed.”
I got the orders to close the office at Gopalapuram and move to Venkatapuram sometime in May that year. We had completed the field investigations for the Polavaram project and had submitted our report along with the data collected including survey maps to our regional office at Vijayawada by that time.
“Movement to Venkatapuram is easy during monsoons since the Godavari river levels would rise by then permitting launches to ply”, the new Block Development officer (BDO), Ram Babu informed me. He had spent 3 years at Venkatapuram before getting his transfer to Gopalapuram, his choice posting nearer to his native place, Kovvur.
“Venkatapuram is approachable by road only during non-monsoon months,” Ram Babu further clarified. “There are few rivulets crossing the Bhadrachalam-Venkatapuram road and there are no bridges across them to facilitate road traffic during rainy season and these rivers flow full then. Hence the dependable transport is the launch service regularly plying between Bhadrachalam and Venkatapuram. It leaves at 6 A.M. every day, from these terminals to reach the destination by 6 P.M. taking full 12 hours to complete the journey one way.”
“What about the movements during non-monsoon months?” I asked him.
“From October till June, there is a private bus service operating regularly from Bhadrachalam to Venkatapuram.” Ram Babu said. “The bus leaves Bhadrachalam at 6 A.M. and takes 12 hours to reach Venkatapuram and vice versa.”
“12 Hours to cover this stretch?” I asked doubting the arithmetic of it.
“Not only the bus has to negotiate the 3 nalas by taking detours at these places, the driver and conductor would also like to take a 3 hour lunch break en-route.” Ram Babu clarified.
“A 3 hour lunch break? Do they take a nap after lunch and all the while, would the passengers keep quiet?” I asked surprised.
“These people want the passengers to enjoy the film songs relayed by Radio Ceylon and Vividh Bharathi  during  this period as they are addicted to these songs.” The BDO said. “Since there is no electricity in that village, the battery from the bus would be used to run the battery operated radio available in the hotel.”
Ram Babu also told me that Venkatapuram is one of the electrified towns in that area, but the supply would be available only from 6 to 10 P.M. with lot of fluctuations in the supply voltage. It has a police station, a public health centre and can boast of having a cinema hall showing films during non-monsoon period. It has also the offices of BDO, Forest Department and PWD. There is a small shop selling provisions but there are no stationery, cloth and vegetable shops and these are to be brought from Bhadrachalam.
“Of course, it is a paradise for those who prefer chicken, as the tribals have plenty to sell. The river is there to cater to your needs for  fish. Even otherwise, in the weekly bazaars, you can get dried fish if you can stand the smell.” The BDO summed up his views on the place.
“What about the accommodation for office and staff”? I asked him.
“Luckily there are few vacant government buildings and you could get priority in allotment as you are from a central organisation working on a project to benefit the state. But due to problems of distances and lack of proper communication facilities, if you are in a hurry, I would suggest you to send the letter now itself to the Chief of PWD through some of your officers, seeking urgent allocation of the buildings needed by you. Even news papers reach here a couple of days later due to delays,   as they depend on the road or launch service starting from small towns like Bhadrachalam or Polavaram.”
Hearing about the condition of life at Venkatapuram, I felt that the transfer from Gopalapuram village to Venkatapuram town is akin to moving from frying pan  to fire. All my enthusiasm to shift to that place was lost hearing the situation there.
“Do not lose heart,” the BDO consoled me. “All of you being bachelors, you would be able to adjust to that life without any difficulty.”
As advised by Ram Babu, I sent one of the junior technical officers (JTO) to the PWD Chief Engineer’s office with the documents requesting for allocation  of 5 buildings for our office and residential purposes. On getting the allotment, I sent Venkat with some staff to Venkatapuram as an advance party to take over the buildings and get them ready for occupation by the time our office articles reached there.
My local adviser, Venkateswarlu, the postman, had heard from our office people about the shifting of the office to Venkatapuram . He took a day off from his busy schedule to bid good bye to me and other colleagues before our truck left the place with the office items.“I do not know when we would be meeting again”, he told me in an emotionally choked voice. “Being in the central service, you may not get again posted to this village, I am sure. I will be here till retirement and hence if you happen to come to this part at any time, please let me know. I would certainly come and meet you. I wish you all the best”.
I was touched by his words which brought tears in me. “I cherished your company and am thankful to you for all the help and guidance you gave me all these days,” I said. “When I come to this district at any time in future, I would certainly make it a point to meet you. Till then, good bye.”





7. Field Investigations- Some Lessons Learnt.


After arranging for the closing and shifting the office and staff from Gopalapuram to Venkatapuram, I went to Vijayawada to apprise Subbaiah  of the actions taken by me  to facilitate an early opening of the office at Venkatapuram and about our plans to start the work for the new project after the monsoons. I also briefed him about the communication problems as informed to me by Ram Babu just to make him know that correspondence through postal department would be unduly delayed and any urgent matter for my action should be sent through a special messenger.
When I told Subbaiah that it would take one day to reach Bhadrachalam from Vijayawada, another day by launch or bus to reach Venkatapuram, he said. “I find Gopalapuram village is better considering the multi modal transports required to reach Venkatapuram,.”
 “During heavy floods, the launch service gets cancelled and in that case one would have to stay put in Bhadrachalam till the service restarts”, I cautioned him.
“But at least you can contact me on phone in case of emergency”, he said.
“Provided the lines are not damaged due to rains uprooting the poles or trees falling and snapping the lines, thus disrupting the service, a feature  regularly occurring in the Dandakaranya area during monsoons “. I said.
“Well I would keep this in mind”, he said. “After you open the office, you may prepare the work schedule and send me the reports regularly.”
The first correspondence I received on arrival at Venkatapuram was from the Delhi office addressed to my office at Gopalapuram, redirected to Venkatapuram, courtesy, Venkateshwarlu, the postman. The letter, sent in a routine manner as evident from the cyclostyled format, called for my explanation for failing to send the year’s progress report. My failure had put that office in a very embarrassing position for not being able to inform the government about the progress of work.
I was surprised to see the letter in spite of sending regularly the monthly, quarterly and half yearly reports to the headquarters. While shifting office in the month of May, I had sent the half yearly report from Gopalapuram, but did not send the annual report as we were on the move.
“That office could have used the data available to compile the annual progress, instead of putting themselves in an embarrassing position to reply to higher ups”, I told Venkat.
“The tenor and tone of the letter show that the Delhi office sent this to complete their check list”, Venkat said. “After all, they are paid to do their duty!”
I was reminded of Partha narrating an incident on the ‘return mania’ of the Delhi office after he opened his office at Tiruvuru.
“For a few months after opening my office, I did not think of sending any progress report since the staff was to be posted, survey equipments procured and many issues to be sorted out even for planning the project surveys, leave alone actual surveys in the field.” Partha told me. “But, luckily Jain had cautioned me of the dangers of not sending the relevant progress reports to the Delhi office even if the progress in the work is shown as ‘Nil’.
“Then one day I got a letter from that office asking my explanation for having failed to send the reports on time. I replied that I had already sent the information as nil, every week and enclosed copies of these ‘nil’ reports along with the explanation. Instead of acknowledging their mistake, pat came the reply that these reports were not in the prescribed formats, nor properly superscribed as weekly, fortnightly, monthly, reports! The headquarters pardoned me only when I sent 4 weekly, 2 fortnightly and one monthly report all stating the progress achieved  as ‘nil’.
“So do not get annoyed or perturbed when you get notice to send the specified returns. Simply send it. “
Venkatapuram cannot be treated as a town under any stretch of imagination, but can be considered as a village stranded in the backwaters of history, satisfied with a life style of its own. The most important news any day would be the arrival of bus from Bhadrachalam during the summer and of the launch in monsoons. As newspapers in English were seldom available, a battery operated radio was the only link I had to know the national and international happenings.
A suitable site for another dam on the Godavari river as identified from the Survey of India Maps was near the Albaka village, about 10 kms. downstream of Venkatapuram. After settling down at the new place, myself with a team of engineers went there to reconnoitre the area and to mark the alignment roughly on the ground to plan the field works needed. We completed the reconnaissance of the terrain in a couple of days and marked the base line based on which ground surveys and geological investigations were to be started. During the site visit we also identified suitable locations for pitching tents for the survey teams to stay for carrying out the work on both the banks of the river. We also consulted the local village Chiefs for finalising these locations.
On the left bank of the river, there was an old traveller’s bungalow (TB) at Albaka village rarely used by travellers going towards or from Venkatapuram. Hence the village Chief advised us that tents could be pitched in the compound for those working on the left bank. On the right bank, the nearest village, Ravanakkapetta was about 2 kms. away from the river bank. Hence it was decided to pitch the tents by the side of a cluster of trees there near the river bank. The Chiefs of both Albakka and Ravanakkapetta villages assured us all the help to provide labour force and also our daily requirements of milk, eggs etc.
On the basis of the site visits and discussions with the local villagers, we prepared a schedule of work for the season and sent it to Subbaiah for his information and comments.
As planned, tents were set up, survey equipments and drilling machinery shifted and staff deployed in a week’s time to start the work. Experience had already taught me that I should not forget to send the progress reports in the prescribed format without fail even if it be a ‘nil’ report. Hence I scrupulously followed that direction as a ritual so that the higher offices are not embarrassed for want of the reports.
I had requested the head quarters to post an experienced engineer to my site for expediting the drilling work. In response, Delhi office promptly transferred one Swapan Das, for the work.
“The seniority list shows that he is more than 54 years old”, Venkat told me. “Considering the speed with which the administration acted, it looks that they are posting him here to complete the administrative requirements   of field experience for making him permanent.”  I was reminded of what Partha told me sometime back of the posting of the 56 year old Himanshu in his office.
Swapan Das, a bespectacled , bald man, reported to our office within a fortnight of my receiving the order.“I have been asked to report here to complete my requirement of field experience of one year”, he told me while handing over his papers of posting to me. “I do not know whether the administration would consider the period of one year from the day I was relieved from Delhi and if so I have already completed 15 days out of that one year period.”
I told him. ”As far as this office is concerned, you have reported for duty today and hence I would be sending the report accordingly. It is for the head quarters to decide about the period of experience. Till you get your transfer orders back, I am sure you would put in your best in this project.”
“What am I supposed to do here?” he asked me. “At Delhi, I was required only to file the letters received in the Section. Here there does not appear to be having much paper work.”
I was annoyed with his comments and also about the attitude of Delhi office in posting staff just to fill the vacancy instead of facilitating the field work. However, suppressing my feelings, I explained to the officer the details of the work involved, the plans we had made for the geological investigations and the locations where the drilling has to be done -two in the river bed, one each on the river banks and also on the right and left abutments.
“Here I am assigning you an important part of the dam site investigations to assess the rock levels.” I further explained to him. “You would have to manage a team of drill operators, helpers and some labourers and ensure adequate progress to complete the work within this year itself.”
“I have not done any such work all these years” He replied.”At the fag end of my service, I do not know why I was posted to this god forsaken place to do this job.”
“If you are willing to take up the assignment, you can be here.” I told him sternly. “Otherwise, you are free to go back to Delhi and seek some other posting.’
“I did not mean that I am not willing to work”, he said.”I know that while in service whatever work is assigned has to be done. So I would certainly try to complete the work allotted to me.”
With the experience gained during the past few months, I could make out that he was not sincere in his reply. Now that I could not complain about the shortage of staff impeding my work, I would have to get the optimum output from Das instead of condemning him, I decided.
As days went by, I found that Das was more interested to find excuses for not doing the work than facilitating the work. I had advised him to start the drilling work in the river bed first in view of low river water levels then. But when I came back to the site after a fortnight, I was surprised to find the drilling equipments being shifted to the abutment side rather than to the river bed. When I asked Das why he preferred the abutment site, he defended saying that the site being nearer to the camp, it would be easier to start the work there. I pointed out to him that we had planned to take up drilling on the abutment side during monsoon months and the work in the river bed and on river banks was to be completed in the non-monsoon months as indicated in the work schedule given to him.
“If you want it that way, I would shift the machinery to the river bed.” He assured me.
“We have already lost a fortnight”, I pointed out to him.” Please take up the work in the river bed without any further loss of time.”
I had to go to Vijayawada next week urgently for getting some approvals for procurement of drilling items needed for the work. When I returned to Albaka after a month, I found Das shifting the machines to river banks to start the work there.
“Last time you promised me to take up the work in the river bed, but why are you now planning to do the job on the bank?” I asked him a bit irritated.
“You had asked me to use my discretion while taking up work in the river bed”, he told me without batting an eye lid. “As I felt that the river water level is rising since last few days, I decided not to take any risk and therefore shifted the machine to the bank “.
“In fact you had been only shifting the machine ever since you were entrusted the work and have not been able to drill a single hole” I told him. “How can I then send a good report about your field work?”
“I am new to the field work. You give me any office work and I can show you the progress in no time.” He requested.
I felt that I would be losing the season if I continued to entrust him with this job. I therefore shifted him to Venkatapuram office to prepare the plans on the basis of the surveys done. I instructed Venkat to arrange sending the completed survey books to him every week end. Venkat was given the charge of drilling work.
Once at Venkatapuram, I guided Das about plotting the survey data on drawing sheets showing the levels, village locations, existing structures including small tanks etc.
“The office staff would provide the needed stationery”, I told him. “Being an office work, I expect a better output from you.”Das nodded.
For a fortnight, I had to be away to Vijayawada in connection with the office matters. When I came back, I was surprised to see that not even a single drawing was prepared by Das during this period. I came to know from the staff that he was not idle, but busy throughout, first plotting the details, then erasing the data entered.
I asked him why he could not do any work in the office so far.
“Sorry sir, I wrongly plotted the data.” He said. “I got confused and in some cases I plotted the data pertaining to the right side of the axis on the left side and vice-versa. But I could locate the mistake in time and am now completely erasing the data to enter afresh”.
“Good that I could feel that there was something wrong while plotting. Otherwise, it would have put us in an embarrassing position while preparing the project report” he continued. “Don’t you appreciate my timely decision?”
“If you had done the wrong entries, the plan would have shown the river flowing towards upstream,” I told him controlling my anger. “I would have appreciated you if you had done the work properly so that we could report some progress in the case to the head quarters.”As usual, he nodded.
By the time rains started, we were able to complete major part of the survey work and some drilling on the river banks. Venkat  told me that he was going to take up the work on the abutment side during the monsoons. Swapan Das continued to be busy more with erasing  job than plotting the data. I was convinced that he would be a liability for me and I should try to give him some easy job as he seemed to be unfit and not keen to do even the drawing work.
While I was debating on how to use Das effectively, one day I got a letter from Delhi transferring him back to Headquarters with immediate effect. The administration also wanted my assessment about his performance during the period to decide about his eligibility to be made permanent. A welcome relief, I thought. I informed Das of my decision to relieve him without waiting for a substitute.
“Thank you very much for being considerate, “he said. “I enjoyed working with you and am sure that I have worked to your satisfaction.”
I did not reply since he had worked only to his satisfaction and hence there was no point in discussing such an issue. I would have given a bad report about his performance, but for Partha’s advice earlier on a similar issue about an officer posted to his office.
“Look the department could tolerate the guy for so many years, otherwise, they could have dispensed with his services years ago. Now that he is to retire shortly I thought that let the family be not deprived of the benefits of his pension, though undeserved. Hence I reported that his performance was satisfactory.” Partha had then justified his reason for giving the officer concerned such a testimony.
Within a week, we gave Das a farewell party.
The experience I had with Das taught me a lesson- that a good team work would be affected if a wrong person is inducted into the team and it is better to keep the post vacant rather than filling it with undesirable elements. Throughout my service, I continued to keep this in mind.







8 .Life in Dandakaranya- A New Perspective.
September came and with that the fury of monsoon receded permitting more sunshine in Venkatapuram and surrounding Dandakaranya forests. It also heralded the welcome news that the bus from Bhadrachalam had arrived bringing news papers as also the V.I.P., Sreenivasa Reddy, the owner of the local theatre, the Modern Talkies, to start daily film shows.  Villagers were happy that they would be able to enjoy music blaring out from the theatre every evening till the show starts and there after their favourite films based on religious or social issues.
There were many offices of the State government functioning at Venkatapuram. However most of the officers and staff were with family and were keeping company amongst themselves only. Luckily, the local doctor, Ramesh was a fresh recruit in the Health Department and was living alone in his quarters attached to the Public Health Dispensary. I met him when one of my drilling staff was injured while operating the drill machine.
After the doctor was free, I introduced myself to him and invited him to my place, a bachelor’s den, whenever he found time. Being tied down to the hospital work ever since his joining duty at the place, he told me that he did not know any officer in the locality and hence was happy to hear that I was also a bachelor. He promised to meet me whenever possible at my place.
Once we got to know each other better, our meetings became more informal and we even used to go for watching the films together.
“Here there is hope of change in films every third day, ”Ramesh told me one day while we were going to see a movie. “You would have been bored if you were in cities like Vijayawada since there films run for days together.”
“But here also we have no choice but to watch which ever films are brought by the owner.” I told him. “At least in Vijayawada we have many theatres showing different films and we have a choice.”
“That is true, but here the change is fast, though the movies shown were released years ago”, the doctor said.
Dr.Ramesh had opted to work  at Venkatapuram solely with the intention of serving  people and hence looked only at  the advantages of the place. He never complained to me at any time during discussions with him about the lack of facilities here but he was vociferous about how the nature had been magnanimous with the place, providing a healthy, pollution free environment.
“In any city you have to take a transport to reach your destination, be it an office, a shopping complex, or even a place of entertainment. Here one can take a healthy walk of few minutes to reach the place.” he said.
I liked his philosophy to take life as it comes and enjoy its blessings fully. I made a mental note of it for my use.
The advantage of watching a film in local talkies is that apart from improving the vocabulary and knowledge of the dialects, one with a positive outlook on life would never be bored of the situation he is pushed into. He would find that the entire audience becomes a part of the film story sympathising with the heroine supporting the hero and showing contempt of the villain by their gestures and actions in the theatre. Also on demand from the audience, the film would be rolled back to repeat the scene of the hero assaulting the villain or the gimmicks of a comedian and hence the show would continue invariably 4- 5 hours every evening. When grandmothers among the audience worry about the fate of the heroine in one scene, the children accompanying them would console them saying that the hero would come in the next scene and save the hapless lady! After watching  a couple of films, I also started enjoying the actions of the audience  making the place lively with cat calls by youngsters, sympathetic moans by the elderly, and hilarious situations mimicked by the children forming the majority of the active audience.
With the redoubled efforts of Venkat and other JTOs, we could make up the progress lost due to the indifferent handling of the drilling work by Swapan Das. By the end of February, we were ahead of the scheduled plans and were hopeful that before the onset of monsoons the works could be completed.
The experience with Das made me cautious in asking for a substitute in his place. If the administration posts another person like him, I would have no choice except to keep him irrespective of whether he is a dull or a diligent worker. Hence while sending the staff position return to Delhi, though I used to show a vacancy, I used to give a remark that the post was not to be filled as the works were to be completed and office to be closed by July that year.
In between there were inspections by Subbaiah, sometimes accompanied by geologists. They were happy with the progress of works.
While the field surveys, drilling etc. were in progress, we also collected the details of villages which would be affected by the project. Venkat was a good PRO since he could converse in the local dialects and also could deal with the concerned officers and get their whole hearted cooperation.
Field offices are subject to a plethora of inspections. Audit parties from accounts section make a bee line to the field offices every year to ensure that expenditure incurred was as per prescribed procedures. Regional office would inspect the office annually to confirm that administrative work proceeded as per the prescribed manuals. Organisation& Methods Unit from the Delhi office preferred to inspect how the files were recorded and to ensure the business rules were scrupulously followed, while the Vigilance team from there wanted to plug loop holes for corruption. There were many more such teams  such as the Disaster Management team, the Fire safety team etc. burdening the field office with inspections, leaving very little time for the officer to concentrate on the technical works.
 Luckily I was spared of many of the inspections from Delhi as the office had not completed 2 years at  Venkatapuram and the place was not a hill station nor of tourist interest, but located in an inaccessible place in the Dandakaranya area.
By the time monsoon arrived, we had completed all our field works. We closed our site camps and moved the men and machinery to the office premises. The daily labourers recruited from Albaka were relieved and only those from Venkatapuram were retained for the upkeep and maintenance of the equipments. 
I had started enjoying the life at Venkatapuram by then since the doctor and other local officers gave us all the help needed. The place being inaccessible, for all purposes like getting provisions and other bulk purchases, the officers had to take the help of each other. We had an understanding that any vehicle going towards Bhadrachalam or Vijayawada would take a list of requirements of any of the family members to be brought from there; hence all officers were very friendly. There was one exception, the Treasury Officer, Thimmayya. He was arrogant and considered himself to be a superior officer because he was in charge of the treasury to make salary and other payments to all the offices and every one had to depend on his good moods to get their dues from the government.
“The only difficult person in Venkatapuram is the treasury officer who believes in harassing other officers to show his importance”, Ram Babu had warned me at Gopalapuram. “He is the only person who puts hassles while all others are there willing to help you. So you have to be extra cautious about him and take care of his whims.”
I had met Thimmayya a couple of times after I opened the office there, once as a courtesy call and thereafter,  while hoisting lunch/ dinner for visiting officers from Vijayawada and Delhi. Our pay bills and other claims had to be submitted to the treasury as there was no branch of the State Bank of India at this place. Unfortunately, the staff of the treasury had no idea of dealing with central rules and decision on our claims had to be taken only by the treasury officer, who was not aware of these rules either. They had made it a practice to return the bills invariably raising some objections and my office superintendent had to personally meet the treasury officer and get the objections cleared. At no time the bills were passed at the first instance. My superintendent, Keshav, never brought such incidents to my notice as he felt he could somehow deal with such minor irritations from that office. Hence I was under the impression that everything was working smoothly.
One day, Keshav came into my room very much agitated holding some bills returned by the treasury.
“I am tired of the whims of this officer”, he said. “All along, I had been putting up with his idiosyncrasies whenever he returned the bills with some silly objections, going to him personally and giving certificates whenever he wanted so as to facilitate the clearance of the bills. Now he has reached the limit, demanding the life certificate of Venkat  when he was on leave during July so as to release his leave salary for July.”
“Why does he want such a certificate?” I asked him surprised. “The treasury had passed his pay bill for his duty period in August and also in September.  How can any sensible person think that Venkat was not alive in July during his leave period, while he is alive to claim his pay for subsequent months?’
“The treasury officer says that as per the treasury rules, a leave salary bill of an officer should be supported by a certificate that he was alive during this period of leave. He showed me the relevant section in the State Treasury Rules, 1940, the latest he had with him.”
“You should have told him that ours is a central office and the state government rules are not applicable to our bills.” I told him. “You should have also shown him the Central Treasury Rules where no such requirement had been shown for claiming leave salary.”
“I had shown him the relevant central rules as per which the only certificate required is the leave sanction order. But when he insisted with his objection, I told him that the state rules are not applicable in the case of central staff.”
“Now he wants me to show the rule which mentions that state rules are not applicable to central officers!  Kindly try to convince him”   
I telephoned Thimmayya and explained to him that our bills are to be audited as per central rules only and not as per the state rules. But he was adamant. He told me that till he got directions from his superiors, he would not pass the bills. I discussed the issue with the local officers. They told me that the District Treasury Officer at Warangal was notorious in creating problems according to their colleagues at that place and hence it would be better for me to approach the Director of Treasuries at Hyderabad, and the issue would be settled once for all.
I sent Keshav with a letter addressed to the Director of Treasuries bringing out the issues involved and seeking a direction from him to the Sub Treasury Officer to pass the bills returned by him taking an unusual objection. I had also pointed out that since that officer had passed all subsequent bills of Venkat, how he could doubt about my officer being not alive during the leave period.
Within a week, Keshav returned with a copy of the letter from the Director of Treasuries addressed to Thimmayya and copies endorsed to the District Treasury Officer and me. In the letter, the Director instructed Thimmayya to pass and pay the bill in question pointing out to him the Government Orders in this regard wherein the need for life certificate in the case of leave salary bills of serving officials had already been  done away with.
“Just read the amendments”, the Superintendent told me pointing out to the copy of that specific order enclosed with the letter. “They made some corrections, but did not accept the fact that earlier orders demanding a life certificate for a serving official on return from leave were foolish!”
 Subsequently we found that the instructions from Hyderabad office had a sobering effect on the local treasury office since they passed all our bills without any objection. Also when we submitted a number of bills towards advances for pay, travelling allowances on transfer etc. on the closure of our office at Venkatapuram, Thimmayya cleared all these bills without any hitch.
In our system of work, I was told that the opening or closing of an office would generally be in accordance with the financial year starting from April and ending in March next. This would facilitate payment of outstanding bills, closing of the year’s account, and completing necessary formalities etc. Hence the relevant orders including the transfer and further posting of staff would be issued in the month of January to give sufficient time for doing the needful by the officer in charge of the office.
Subbaiah had given instructions that on closing of the office as scheduled on completion of works, the records etc. would be transferred to Tiruvuru office along with a skeletal staff to attend to any remaining work. I had then suggested that as Venkat was well versed with the work and data, he should be retained at Tiruvuru and being from Andhra, he would be willing to continue there.
After my bad experience with the Delhi office regarding submission of routine returns on time, I had decided that I should monitor the timely despatch of the weekly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, half yearly and yearly returns to the head quarters as per the proformas prescribed even at the cost of the field work. Hence while packing the documents during the closure of the office, I had kept the relevant returns  ready for despatch on 31st March. 
By the end of February, we had received the orders for closing the office by March 3ist. The transfer orders for all the staff were issued by the headquarters. I was transferred to Delhi and was advised to get further posting orders from the administration. Venkat was transferred to Tiruvuru office and he was to take charge of all the records and equipments to that office and work under Partha’s directions. Others were posted to the offices at Vijayawada and Eluru.
I went to Tiruvuru in the month of March to brief Partha about our works and also to hand over to him a copy of our report on the Albaka dam project. I also told him about my transfer to Delhi and my plans for taking a few days’ leave before joining at Delhi.
“The order says that I am to get further posting from the administration. Why can’t they straight away issue the order posting me to a specific Unit”, I asked him.
“Experience has taught the administration that whenever a person is transferred, he does not join the post immediately, “Partha told me. “If the person is not happy with the posting, he would proceed on leave and would try all tricks to get the transfer cancelled. By the time the case is decided, taking may be 6-9 months, the vacancy position in the Unit may change and hence this safe approach by the administration”
“I am not going to object to this transfer,” I told him. “They could have easily shown the Unit where I am to join”
“How would they know your intentions?” Partha asked me. “For administrative staff, everybody is a crook, unless otherwise proved!”
“Jain had told me of this principle”, I confessed.
”Do you know that you are eligible for joining time and also for expenses to shift your possessions from  Venkatapuram to Delhi?” Partha asked me. “If you prefer, you could go to your native place during this period and meet your people before joining at Delhi. Once in Delhi, you may not easily get leave.”
“Prasad had told me that life in Delhi is comparatively stress free and there would not be any difficulty in getting leave”. I pointed out.
“It depends on the Unit where you are posted”, Partha clarified. “Some Unit Chiefs make you work like hell, but are good enough to give you freedom to attend to your personal works. They also give you due credit for work. There are also others who make you work hard, take credit for the work themselves without acknowledging your contribution and also would not give any facility like leave. There are also many who avoid doing work, do not bother about your work or giving any facility to you, but blame you for all the mistakes committed by him in the working of the Unit. These are the most dangerous species in WADA.”
“Since I am going to get exposed to a new way of life in Delhi, I would need all your advice to move on, once I am assigned a Unit,” I requested him. “Please do not mind my troubling you frequently on phone from Delhi in this connection.”
“You are welcome.” Partha said. “But better than me, I have a friend in Delhi who would be much helpful to guide you. Kishanjee is a senior officer, an encyclopaedia on rules and regulations and a walking library on water related issues. He is a workaholic if the work is his; otherwise, he takes things easy. He is a jovial man and though many years senior to me, I consider him as a friend, philosopher and guide not only in technical matters but also on all mundane matters. So, before joining any Unit, go and meet him for his advice. I shall write to him about you shortly.”
I was surprised to see Yadagiri, peon of Subbaiah entering the room with some files for Partha’s approval. Seeing him unexpectedly at Tiruvuru, I asked him whether he had brought some urgent files from Vijayawada office for immediate action.
“I have been transferred here, Sir”, he told me.”Boss was waiting for a chance to punish me and your closing the office at Venkatapuram gave him that opportunity to do that”
“I know that Boss was against you and never a well wisher for you. But then why did he help you by posting you nearer to your village?” I was curious to know.
“Last year he told me that he was not happy with my performance. So I told him that he could transfer me to any place other than Tiruvuru as the place is far away from my village at Sreekakulam, the northern most Taluk of Andhra Pradesh. I also explained to him that it would take 2 days for me to reach my village from Tiruvuru. He must have kept a note of my request and hence decided to punish me by posting me here when the opportunity came after he verified from my service records that my native place was at Sreekakulam. “
“But in fact he helped you since your wife’s family is settled here and all your brothers are also working near here.” I said.
“This is what happens when anger blinds a man’, Yadagiri philosophised. “If he had seen my applications for transfer in a previous file when the Tiruvuru office was opened, he would have known that only my grandparents are at Sreekakulam, but my preference is for posting at this place.”
“Also I had checked up the antecedents of the officer here from my colleagues who had a chance to work under him and they were all in praise for him. Hence though for form sake I protested about the transfer orally, I wanted to join Tiruvuru early. My protest made the boss relieve me immediately since he did not want to give me any chance to bring pressure to get the transfer cancelled!”
After Yadagiri took away the files, Partha said.”Look, this is a revelation for all of us. Just like we check up the antecedents of the staff being posted to us, these guys also enquire about our way of working before joining our office.”
By week end, I was back at Venkatapuram overseeing the closure of the office.






9. Delhi - Learning the Fundamentals of Working at Headquarters.
 I could spend a week in Kerala before proceeding to Delhi to take up the new assignment. Meeting all my relatives took a toll of the available time, but I was happy that I could meet them, listen to their grievances about the indifferent younger generation and give those old people some company. I found that more than gifts and money, they needed someone to listen to their woes.
The Kerala Express took me to Delhi in the first week of April. The winter was just fading away and hence it was a comfortable day at Delhi. Prasad had arranged through his friend Chiranjeevi  Rao at Delhi to receive me at the station and to take me to the two bed room accommodation rented  out for me at Lajpatnagar, about  15 km. from the station. Most of the junior officers of WADA were put up in that area, about 6 km. from Ramakrishna Puram (R.K.Puram) where the WADA offices were situated. Also the rent for these flats was affordable to junior officers like us and hence the decision taken by Chiranjeevi to book my residence also in that area.
The WADA offices at R.K.Puram were spread over five buildings there. Half an hour bus journey took me there and I could locate the building housing the administration as it was very near the bus terminal and most of the office goers knew about it. Though the transfer order directed me to report to the ‘undersigned’,i.e .the Unit Chief (Human Resources) who signed the letter, Chiranjeevi told me that it would be a waste of time trying to meet  him, but instead I should go and meet the Section Officer in the Establishment Section and get further orders of posting.
I went to the concerned Section to report.  “We are busy at present to reorganise the Units so that the engineers are fully employed in carrying out the activities envisaged. Hence we are not posting you immediately to any specific Unit and it might take a couple of days more to decide on you.” The Officer told me.” You are therefore free to use the time now available to settle down yourself, such as getting a proper accommodation, getting your children’s admissions in the choice schools, ration card and gas connection etc. for which you may have to personally run about . Once you join any Unit it would be difficult to get time for these errands and hence my suggestion. Regarding your posting orders, you may contact me next week by which time, it should be possible for higher ups to decide about it.”
I went back to Chiranjeevi and reported about the developments. “As expected”, he reacted. “While issuing transfer orders to Delhi, they use such terms as if the entire WADA’s work would be upset if the individual does not report for duty within the prescribed time. And when you come hurriedly to join here, they continue to be busy with reorganisation, a never ending work. Anyway, this available time would help you to get acclimatised to Delhi way of life; meanwhile, I would introduce you to some of my friends working in various Units, so that they would be able to help you in case you are posted to any of their Units.”
After he took me to some of his friends, while on the way back to Chiranjeevi’s seat, I requested him to let me know where Kishanjee, one of Partha’s very close friend, could be contacted.
“In WADA, he is the only officer available in his seat throughout the office hours except during the lunch and tea breaks.” Chiranjeevi said.  “Even during these breaks, he takes a very minimum time in the canteen. That is one thing good about him.”As  I was free for the day, and for days to come, I thought that I should get acquainted with Kishanjee at the earliest opportunity to get some tips about the working of WADA at Delhi.
 “Partha had phoned me that you have been transferred and would be coming here shortly”, Kishanjee said. “ Welcome to the head quarters to enjoy a retired life after spending gruelling days in the field formations”.
Kishanjee, a lean personality of medium height sported a moustache which appeared shy of making its presence felt. He seemed to be a jovial person with positive vibrations and of a smiling disposition with a natural exuberance. When I approached him extending my hand, he did not take it. Instead, holding both arms together and saying ‘namaste’, he bowed his head. (Later on he told me that whenever he met a person for the first time, he would not shake hands with him, but only bowed before him. Only after getting acquainted fully with him he preferred to shake hands with that individual).
I told him about the brief encounter I had with the Establishment Section in the morning.
“Nothing surprising”, he said.”Good that you did not wait to meet the Unit Chief (HR). He would have made you sit in his Personal Assistant’s room all through the day and would have told you later in the evening to come next day to repeat the same exercise.”
After a pause, he continued “Now that you are free for the next few days, you are welcome to come and sit in my room till HR decides your posting and seating arrangement. But remember one thing; while in the field you had many subordinate staff to help for typing, despatching letters, etc., working as a junior officer in Delhi office, you would be on your own to do the various chores.”
“That Partha had already cautioned me”, I said.
“One another important advice I have to give you is that- more than knowing about the functions, job responsibilities etc. attached to your post here, you must make it a point to know the works and responsibilities etc. allotted to your colleagues.”
“Why?” I asked Him. “I need to know only about what I am supposed to do. My principle is not to interfere with other’s works”.
 “That is exactly the reason why I cautioned you.” Kishanjee explained.”Here many are interested in passing on their works to those who are willing to do but would take the credit for doing it.  Since your principle is not to get involved with others duties, you should know what they are supposed to do”.
“I am afraid that I am not able to understand you”, I said.
“Here there are many officers who have made a habit of shirking work. Their weak –kneed bosses, who dare not ask such juniors to sit and complete the work, would like to transfer complicated pending works to new comers who are not aware of the work distribution and who would always be willing to do additional duties. If you willingly accept the work, more pending works would come to you. The more the work is to be done in a short time, more the mistakes that would be committed in the work. So when your performance is to be evaluated at the time of promotion of your group of officers to the next level, you would be disqualified because of the mistakes committed, while the easy going chaps with no mistakes committed, get rewarded with promotion” .
“This is injustice”. I said. “Why can’t they assess people on the basis of individual performance?”
”In service, everybody’s promotion is linked to his performance in the work given to him”. Kishanjee explained.” Hence in offices, disposal of files, considered as well studied, is a measure of the performance of an individual. A case is considered as well studied, if the case file runs into volumes, moves up and down the hierarchy many times with queries, clarifications and the like. Here in the headquarters, one is not required to produce results as in the field. Here one is required to keep himself safe from a future enquiry and the best way to handle file referred to you is to subject it to an A/B/C technique.”
“Sorry, I am not able to follow you. Please explain.” I could not make out what these abbreviations meant .
“You were working in the field formations and were interested only in getting results. Hence I can well appreciate your ignorance on the subject.” Kishanjee said.”In the ABC type of approach generally adopted in the file pushing offices, the acronym ‘A’ stands for avoiding,  ‘B’ for bypassing and ‘C’ for confusing , a case or file referred to the individual officer. Hence if and when a file is referred to you for action, ‘Avoid’ it – ie; do not accept it as your work. But if the boss insists that you have to deal with it, then attempt the technique of ‘Bypassing’- i.e. send it to another Section for their expert advice, which may not come for ages. However, in situations where others also follow similar techniques and the file comes back to you stating that they do not deal with such cases, then you may adopt the third technique of ‘Confusing’ the case i.e. quoting from different rule books, manuals, guidelines, codes, precedents etc., confuse the whole issue and conclude that the matter should be taken up with the government for approval and then put up the case for the boss to decide. It would move up and would never come back to you. But for attempting this technique, you have to be familiar with all such rules, codes etc.”
I used to meet Kishanjee every day for spending some time with him since I had to await the posting orders from the administration. Partha was right about the vast knowledge he had about the system, as I could make out during discussions with him every day.
 I got the orders posting me to the Planning Unit of WADA after a fortnight. I went to Kishanjee to inform him about this. “This is a very good Unit dealing with the entire water resources of the country,” Kishanjee told me. “You can do a lot if you go through the available cases there, but I am sure your boss would not be able to guide you properly. He may allot you some silly works but remember, if you take up any work with your heart fully in it, you would be able to learn many things which would help you in future. Wish you best of luck. You are welcome to come to me at any time.”
The Planning Unit had more than 50 planners in the Unit and had hardly 30 schemes to attend to.  I was already cautioned by Kishanjee that the number of officers being more than the number of tables and chairs provided in the hall, a programme of musical chairs would always be in place there at any point of time and I should not be unduly perturbed by that situation.
I met the Unit Head, Hari Om, and handed over the copy of my posting order to him. He appeared to be a ‘happy go lucky man’. “Settle yourself first”, he told me when I asked him about the work being assigned to me. “Since you are from the field organisation, you would take some time to learn the work culture of this office, entirely a different one. Hence first you go through the reports recently prepared by this Unit, so as to get a feel of the work being done here.”
I remembered the advice given by Prasad at Eluru before my proceeding to Delhi on transfer. He had given me a detailed account of the works in this Unit.
“Read one report, continue with another- like that you may spend all your time there only reading the reports with nothing else to do!” he had told me then. Hence I was not shocked to hear the brief lecture of Hari Om on the important works being done there and how for want of adequate staff to work, the Unit was not able to bring out its best and at times refused work transferred from other Units.
“Hari Om was right when he said that he did not have staff to work”, Kishanjee told me justifying his statement. “The main problem is that he has more than the required staff, but many do not work and hence he does not have adequate working staff!”
For a couple of weeks I was busy studying the reports prepared by the Unit. One good thing I found about that office was that I did not have to send weekly or monthly progress reports at all. I also found that so long I stick to my chair, I would have a place to sit. During those days, I had hardly met the Boss as he never called me even once to ask about my progress. Even colleagues were rarely seen as most of them, I was told,  were busy in the library collecting information from national and international journals  and texts written by eminent authors on the subject. I was feeling a bit diffident as I did not know the names of the journals nor authors to be referred to with reference to any work. Consequently I was getting a feeling that I might not be able to cope up with the assignments when entrusted to me.
A month after my joining the Planning Unit, I got a call from Hari Om to urgently meet him in the afternoon. I thought that he might now ask me about the reports I studied and my comments on them.  Luckily, I had, as per field practice, kept a note of my daily activities during the period and my observations on the reports and hence was ready with the details.
“Administration wanted me to spare an experienced officer to deal with an urgent legal case in which our vehicle had knocked down a private security guard dead about a year back.” He told me without much preface. “Since you are from the field, I decided that you would be the right man to handle the case. Hence you may go and meet the HR Unit Chief immediately. You would be at his disposal till the case is sorted out. I have already told him that you would meet him now”.
“I do not have any experience in legal matters”, I told him. “Then how can I pursue the case?”
“You were in the field and had enough experience with issues coming up every day in the field”, he said. “That is why I told him that you are most suited for the work”
I met the HR Chief in the afternoon. He had kept the file ready with his notings to the Law Department for legal opinion.
“You have to take this file to the Legal Officer concerned and get his views in writing”, he told me handing over the file. “That office would guide us whether we have any case to file an appeal and if so what are the approved rates of fees to be paid to the advocate. By day after tomorrow we have to file the appeal, otherwise, we would have to pay Rs. One lakh to the deceased’s family.”
“You can read the details from the file”, he told me “but remember, the matter is urgent and I must get the feed back by tomorrow evening.”
The Personal Assistant (P.A) to the Chief took the file from me stating that he had to get the movement of the file noted in the despatch clerk’s register before delivering the file to me. It took him a lot of time to come back with the file and all the time I was sitting in the Chief’s room watching how busy he was moving the wheels of administration.
On his table, there were two trays, one marked ‘OUT ‘on his right side and another marked ‘IN’ on his left side. A liveried peon entered a couple of times carrying files and depositing them in the ‘IN’ tray and taking away files from the ‘OUT’ tray. The Chief took files, one by one, from the left tray, read, scribbled some observations and scrolled his signature before putting them in the right tray. This exercise continued without any break as long I was there, interrupted only by the entry and exit of the peon.
Around 5.30 P.M., the closing time of the office, the P.A. came with the file, complaining that the despatch clerk was missing from his seat and he had to wait for him all the while to make the necessary entries and hence the delay.
“Now there is no point in going to that office, because all concerned would have left the place.”, the Chief told me. “Tomorrow you go first in the morning to that office and get their comments, so that you can be here with the file by evening. The matter is very urgent and hence I want you to personally follow it up”.
I went to Kishanjee’s room to see if he was there so that I could get his advice in the matter. Luckily he was there studying some report.
“Please come in.” he said.“Surprised to see you with a file at this point of time while people would be waiting at the bus stop to catch their transport home.”
I briefed him about the instructions I got from the HR Chief and showed him the file.
“As guided by you initially at the time of my joining the Delhi office, I should have flatly told the Chief that it is not my job to follow up files with the various departments, but I felt that I should not make it  an issue in the first meeting itself with a senior officer like HR Chief.” I told Kishanjee apologetically.
“You did the right thing”, he said. “There are certain circumstances in which you should willingly offer your help when you find that the senior officer is in dire straits. Such an attitude would help you in future. Before you go to the Law office, go through the file and understand the case”.
“I have absolutely no idea as to what is to be done by me.” I said. “My Unit Head told me something about a car accident and since I had a jeep in the field, he told the HR Chief that I would be able to handle the case. Hence I am stuck with this file.”
“Nothing to worry. Read the file and you would get the ideas for pursuing the case with the law office”, Kishanjee said. “I think that this is an old case in which your Planning Unit’s vehicle hit and killed a security guard. The Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) had given the award about 3 months back with the stipulation that appeal if any, should be filed within the prescribed time limit of 3 months.”
“That means that the HR Unit was sleeping all these days and woke up suddenly now, since tomorrow is the last day for filing the appeal?” I said understanding the urgency of the situation. “They would have had enough time if they had contacted the Law Department, say, a month back, instead of making it as a crisis now.”
“This is how the administration works”, Kishanjee chuckled. “You will learn more about it when you meet the law officers tomorrow. Please let me know about your experience whenever you are free from the assignment.”
The Law Department was located about 5 kms. away from R.K.Puram. So I started early to reach that office by 9.30 A.M. so as to get a full day for getting the work completed.
The Reception Officer took down my particulars in a register and issued me an entry pass directing me to meet the Assistant Legal Officer (ALO) in room no. 234. I rushed to the room in the second floor to meet the officer.
“You go to the concerned Section in room no. 432 and they would guide you how to go about it. They have to record their views in the file”, he advised me.
I went to the room in the 4th floor to meet the concerned Section Officer (S.O.). There were three officials sitting and chatting on the likely increase in dearness allowance expected to be announced by the government. They told me that the S.O. would be reaching shortly and directed me to a vacant chair nearby to have my seat. By 10.30, the S.O. came in with a haggard look as if he had just come out of a battle zone.
“To get into a bus now has become a really hard task,” he said wiping his sweat on the face.” In my third attempt, I could squeeze in, otherwise I would have missed that bus also.”
He took his seat and looked at me in askance. I gave him the file and related to him the discussions I had with the ALO in the morning. The S.O. took  an hour  to read the entire file.
“The ALO does not know the procedure followed here since he is new to this office.” He said looking for concurrence from his staff members. “This case deals with two issues-first to advise whether you could go for appeal;   second- if, yes, the amount of fees to be paid to the advocate to file the appeal”.
“That is right.” I said. “Since we have to file the appeal by tomorrow, I would like to have your views on the file.” “For that you have to go to the Legal Section in the third floor.” The S.O. said. “Here in this office, we deal with only matters pertaining to advocates appointments, their fees, etc.”
“If that be so, to save time, you could advise on the second issue of the approved rates of advocates to be appointed for filing the appeal.” I requested him.
“Sorry, unless there is a case for appeal, why should we study the case and indicate the fees to be paid?” The S.O. pointed out. “We do not believe in tying the cart before the horse.”
“My request is because lunch time is nearing and there is not much time left for completing the formalities involved.” I pleaded.
“I do not think that you should go for appeal”, he told me. “Since your vehicle killed a poorly paid security guard, a rich office like WADA should certainly pay the amount to the hapless family without any hesitation. But do’nt quote me. I have only given my personal views, for our department’s views you have to go to the concerned  Section in the third floor.”
There was no use of arguing with him, I felt, since his staff was also nodding their agreement. I proceeded down with the file. The S.O. in the Legal Section appeared an easy going chap, enjoying his ‘paan’. He studied my file leisurely and marked it to his Assistant to record his views.
“Being an urgent issue, we would try to process it fast”, he assured me.
“Shall I contact you in the evening?” I asked him pointing out  that the appeal would have to be filed latest by next day and hence there was not much time left.
“To day evening”?  he stared at me as if I was asking for the moon.
“The earliest  you can expect is after 10 days since the file has to move to A.L.O., L.O., and may be to the Legal Advisor also who is presently on leave and expected by next week end.”
“The ALO had assured me that he would clear the file fast and hence my request”, I told him.
“We would put up the case today itself”, the Assistant promised me. “You may contact him tomorrow morning and follow it up further.”
It was evening tea time and other staffs were prodding him to join them for tea.
 I went to ALO to report the progress.
“Saheb has gone for a meeting”, the peon told me. “If the meeting is over early, he might come back otherwise, he would be available only tomorrow morning.”
Since my waiting there would not have had any fruitful outcome, I went back to my office and reported the progress to the HR Chief.“We would be in a soup if we do not file the appeal by tomorrow.” He told me. “Go first to that office tomorrow and let me know the position.”
Since I knew that Kishanjee would be available in his seat, I went to tell him about all that happened during the day.
“You have now come across people who know what others are supposed to do”, he said laughing. “You have also noticed their attitude that work should be done only if needed. If the Legal Section says that there is no case, why should the Judicial Section break their head to decide on the fees?”
“I am afraid that if the Legal Section finds that there is a case for appeal, the approval for such a decision could be given only by a senior officer like the Advisor. That would easily take 10 days as told by the Assistant. Thereafter the Judicial Section also would take at least another week to give approval for the fees to be paid to the advocate. Then only we would be able to file the appeal.”I showed my helplessness in completing the job entrusted to me.
“HR boss has assigned you this work, so it does not matter when the ultimate decision is taken.” Kishanjee said. “You are only to follow up the file. Since you are not authorised to write on the file at this stage, do the job as directed and enjoy the way bureaucracy is working.”
I heaved a sigh of relief for being able to understand the extent of my involvement in the work. If I were to do a job in the field, I could have moved men and machinery to accomplish the work. But here to move a file from one office to another and to get a decision on that file is a Herculean task.




















10. Moving a File- A Herculean Task.
Next morning, I left the house right on time to reach the Law office by the time the office opened, so that I would be able to meet the ALO before he got busy with meetings. Luckily he was there going through the morning news paper. Wishing him ‘good morning’, I again introduced myself as the officer from WADA seeking the decision from him on the car accident case.
“I had gone through the case.” He told me. “We do not have any point to appeal against the MACT verdict. WADA has to pay the compensation to the victim’s family. I have already recorded my views on the file and returned to the Section for passing it on to you. You can accordingly take further action.”
I was happy because I did not have to go round offices in the Law office, in the advocates’ chambers and also in the Tribunal for fighting against a verdict, which would help a family in distress. I went to the Legal Section to collect the file.
“You are back so early?” The S.O. commented. “We had already sent the file to ALO. So please check up with him.”  “I had met him today morning and was told that he had sent back the file yesterday evening itself giving his decision on the subject.” I told him. “ He asked me to collect the file from here and hence I came here.”   “But I have not seen it,” The S.O. said and, turning to the peon standing nearby he asked him whether he had brought any file marked urgent from ALO’s office.
“I had brought a file from that office yesterday evening and had kept it here.” the peon said.
The S.O. searched for the file among the heap of files lying on his table, but could not locate it. He asked all his staff members in the Section to look for the file but the said file was nowhere to be seen. The Officer got up from his seat murmuring ‘what a nuisance’, and went to ALO’s room to check whether the file was still there. He returned empty handed, cursing the system.
“The file is nowhere to be seen,” he declared. “We will now have to send a circular to all Sections to locate the missing file. It may take a couple of days.”
“Suppose you are not able to locate it even then, what would you do?” I asked him panicked. “Because, without the file and A.L.O’s decision there on, I would not be able to act further.”
“Please do not worry about such issues.” The S.O. said. “We have our methods. We would reconstruct the file. We would write to you and other offices concerned to send us certified copies of the correspondence available on the subject to help us to build up the file. But it would take months”.
“Till then, what am I to do?” I asked him.” Sleep comfortably.” The Officer was casual in his reply.”We are used to many such instances and have ready -made solutions to take care of such situations”.
“We have to now work over time for this purpose. What a bother?” one of the dealing clerks gave vent to his ire.
I was in a dilemma. I had no clue as to how to deal with the Tribunal’s case without having any file on the subject.
”Eureka,” I heard the peon shouting. “I have got the file”. “From where?” ,all the staff shouted in a chorus .“From near the water cooler”, he said. “How did it reach there?” The S.O. was furious. “An urgent file from ALO should not have been dumped by you just like that so irresponsibly.” He accused the peon. “Now I remember”, the peon was defensive. “When I entered the hall with the file, you had asked me to get some water urgently as you were very thirsty. Hence instead of taking the file to you, I got a glass of water from the cooler, leaving the file there and rushed to you and you were thankful for my prompt action. Since we started talking about the bad weather then, I entirely forgot about the file. You also did not remind me about it, though you saw me carrying the file. Now you are blaming me for having given priority for getting water for you to quench your thirst. Strictly speaking, I should have only bothered about the official work of carrying the file instead of attending to your personal work.” The peon showed his annoyance.
“Oh! Do not make it an issue”, all other staff pleaded with the peon. “You are always very helpful in getting us tea and snacks whenever we wanted. So a small slip in official work should not be taken as a major fault. After all, everybody becomes forgetful, once a while, when he grows old.”
The peon looked happy hearing the staff defending him “O.K. I will go and get tea for all of you including our honoured guest.”“Get some snacks also”, with a sigh of relief one of the Assistants requested him.
The Officer read the directions written by his superior on the file, nodding occasionally at some specific remarks. “The boss has agreed with our opinion, that there is no case to go for appeal.” He said . “He has appreciated the way we analysed the issues involved to arrive at the conclusion. Now you can take the file and ask WADA to pay the amount immediately to the family of the deceased.”
Thanking him for the quick action taken to get the necessary directions from his office, I took the file and was about to leave the hall when one of the clerks rushed to me and almost grabbed the file.
“Sorry, you cannot just take away the file”, he told me. “I have to enter the despatch number in the concerned register and take your acknowledgment of having received the file. Just a moment please.”Taking the file with him as a precious item, he went to his desk and started looking for the despatch register. I thought that he might take some hours to locate it from among the heap of files lying on the table. I was worried that if the register was lost, it might necessitate an exercise to ‘reconstruct’ the register and if it be so I would have to wait a couple of days till they completed the formalities for reconstructing it, to take my acknowledgement and thereafter to release my file. Luckily, he could locate the register.
I reached my office in the afternoon and reported the developments to my Unit Head. “Congratulations”, he said.” Go immediately to HR Unit Chief and inform him the result.”
I found the Chief at his desk eagerly waiting for the file. Earlier, I had informed him from the Law office itself the decision given by the ALO and that I was waiting to collect the file from the Section.
“A job well done”, he appreciated me. “Your Chief had told me that he was deputing you specially because you were handling many such issues in the field and he had seen you as a ‘go-getter’ in the assignments given by him. Please keep it up.”The Chief stood up and shook hands with me as a gesture of his appreciation about my work.
I went to Kishanjee to brief him about the case of the missing file and the way the peon in the Law office behaved as if it was not his mistake but due to the personal work he was asked to do instead of attending to the official work. “Instead of fixing the peon for his negligence, all cajoled him, sympathising with his heavy duties and responsibilities. Unfortunately, none of them appeared ashamed about the indifference with which an important file was dealt with.” I gave vent to my feelings.
“In any office, the most important person is the ‘tea boy’, the peon or the messenger or the helper whosoever is assigned with the task of bringing tea and snacks from the canteen at regular intervals.” Kishanjee explained. If he stops working, the entire work in the Section grinds to a halt. Did you not read the story that appeared in one of the magazines recently about the tea boy who disappeared while carrying tea to the staff in an important office?”
“No,” I told him. “In Venkatapuram, such luxuries like magazines are not available.”
“The story is of two tigers that escaped from the Delhi zoo, but were caught and put back in the cage after a few weeks.”How come you returned to the zoo?” the first tiger asked his famished looking companion.
‘“It is a long story” the second tiger said.”I wandered into the Aravalli hills nearby after escaping from here. But since the flora and fauna have disappeared from these denuded hills, I could not get anything and had to remain hungry and thirsty for days together. Therefore I decided to return to this place where good food and water are available in plenty. But I find you well fed and looking quite healthy except for some bruises. Why did you prefer to come back?” He asked the first one.
‘“I never liked this place. But I was forced into a cage and brought here due to a grave mistake I made.” The first one replied. “Otherwise, I would have been still enjoying a comfortable life.”
‘“What happened?”
‘“After escaping from the zoo, I wandered into the concrete jungles around the Connaught Place where the offices are located.” The first one said with a sigh. “I hid under a staircase in the night and knew that no one would see me there. In the morning, I was happy to see hordes of well fed people coming in to work in the office there. I also noticed that there were late comers who preferred to avoid the crowds and walked alone to their offices. I decided to pick on such individuals, one every day, to ensure my daily needs. Initially I was cautious worrying that the absence of people, whom I ate, would be noticed by others in the offices and they would come searching for their colleagues, but nothing happened. I therefore became bolder and threw all caution to wind.
‘“Every day, I used to find a very fat chap carrying eatables and a big can coming to the office late, but  generally in the company of a crowd. I wanted to taste him but was not getting the opportunity. Then one day, I saw him with his eatables walking alone in the direction of the office. Seeing him alone, I pounced on him and dragged him to my hide-out. I was enjoying a leisurely meal when I heard people shouting for the ‘Tea Man’. Tracing the scattered eatables, they came to my place under the staircase and over powered me and pinned me down. In the meanwhile, others got the zoo officials and in a jiffy I was caged and here I am repenting my action. I should have known that the most sought after person in an office is the ‘tea man’ and his absence would cause furore.”
“This is the story which appeared in the magazine and the moral of the story is that work stops if the ‘tea man’ strikes work or remains absent”, Kishanjee concluded with a chuckle.” Now that you were a witness to an incident where the officials were apologetic to the ‘tea man’ of the Section, you have learnt another lesson which can be added to your experience while at WADA head quarters.”
As usual, Kishanjee’s comments were always coated with humour and interspersed with humorous anecdotes. I thanked him for having encouraged me to fully involve myself and take up the work.
My few days of interaction with Law officers certainly gave me some insight into the work culture of offices at headquarters which is entirely different from that of the field organisation. In the field, actions had to be result oriented, in the Hqs., it  should be to save the skin!
If the Law office had advised us to go in for appeal, both the Chiefs of HR and Planning Units would have been hauled up for delay in acting over the case. Hence they felt that I had helped them to come out of the Tribunal case without blemish, though I did not feel that I had contributed much in getting a favourable response from the Law office except following it up with the ALO and concerned Sections. However, they felt that my perseverance helped in getting them a legal opinion on the case which ruled out any scope for appeal, as otherwise they would have had to face the wrath of CEO for their delay and negligence.
I remembered the advice Partha, my friend at Tiruvuru  gave me when I showed him my transfer orders to the Hqs.
“Remember, in service, we are not choosers.” Partha had told me then. “Hence whatever works are assigned to you, accept it, put your heart and soul in it and do it to the best of your ability. You would then have a satisfying experience. If you keep this philosophy, work becomes worship and you would not have time to grumble about incompetent subordinates, unhelpful colleagues and ignorant bosses and to think that work is not technically challenging. Then you will keep yourself happy being open to learning many things, taking life as it comes and enjoy the work. Otherwise, you would go on cribbing and end up as a miserable person. This is all the advice I have to give you while joining the mainstream of WADA headquarters.”








11. A Training Course in ‘Babudom’.
My assignment with the HR Unit continued for a few days more as they wanted me to finalise the related papers for payment of compensation to the family of the deceased. Thereafter, I was asked to report back to my Planning Unit and I got involved with the reading of the remaining reports prepared in the Unit and making the usual notes there on.
One morning, the Unit Head called me to his room to discuss some project reports. I went to him taking the relevant documents so that I would be able to readily respond to his queries.
“Why are you carrying all these documents?”, my colleagues asked me .“This is not the procedure here. We go and  note down the queries, then prepare the replies after referring to the documents and furnish him the details. You are unnecessarily taking pains in carrying all these files.”
“He is from the field,” another colleague quipped. “He does not know the time tested protocol here. It would take some time for him to learn the way we work here.”
I smiled accepting my ignorance about the procedures there. Without responding, I went to the Chief. We discussed the specific features of projects prepared by the state agencies and the deficiencies in some of those projects. The Chief wanted to address the concerned about these short- comings in their projects. Thereafter, we also discussed one of the major projects our Unit at Vijayawada was investigating- the Godavari- Krishna link canal project.
“I want you to go and find out the problems facing the teams deputed for the project since you had worked in that Unit”. He directed me. “I am told that the work is not progressing according to the plans given by us and some vested interests are working against the project to suit their hidden agendas. If there is some failure, the blame would come to us for having not taken any action in spite of bringing it to our notice. Hence my decision to depute you to the site. I have also telephoned Subbaiah there and he has concurred with the proposal.”
“If the field people change the plans, how are we to be blamed?” I asked him. “Field conditions might necessitate some changes which might not have come to our notice”.
“According to the complaints I received, the field people are changing the canal alignment just to help some influential farmers. Once the canal length increases, the design parameters would be affected ultimately reducing the canal flows and the resulting irrigation benefits.” The boss told me his apprehensions. “Just go and see whether the field officers are justified in shifting the canal alignment and report to me.”
Next few days saw me at Eluru discussing the issues involved and walking along the canal alignment to understand the ground reality. I was convinced that the change in the canal line was needed to negotiate a 13 metre high hillock through which the alignment was marked by the Planning Unit on the basis of the Survey of India sheets. The small hillock did not find a place in the survey sheet as the contour intervals for the terrain marked in the sheet were 15 metres. I therefore concluded that the allegation on the survey team was baseless.
I also got an opportunity during this trip to call on my old friend, Venkateswarlu, the village postman at  Gopalapuram and I gave him a surprise visit by going to his house unannounced one day morning.
“I thought that you would have forgotten me after the lapse of so many days”, shaking my hands vigorously, he addressed me in Telugu, thus reviving my knowledge of the vernacular. “Senior officers rarely remember a poor post man like me, but you are certainly an exception”.
“How can I forget my Guru?” I asked him in my broken Telugu language. “You had helped me to settle down in my first posting here in the central service and your guidance helped me in those days.” After taking tea with him, I took leave of him promising that I would certainly have lunch with him as and when I came to that area next time.
I also spent the week end with Partha at Tiruvuru.“How do you find the work at Hqs?” He asked me. “Could you survive the’ easy go’ work culture there? How do you spend the days in the office?”
I narrated to him the initial days of coaching received from Kishanjee, the experience with the Law Department and the difference in the work culture there compared to field office.
“I am following your advice to put heart and soul entirely in whatever work entrusted to me.” I told him. “Hence I found the work interesting, be it the  continuous study of reports prepared by the Unit or following up the file in another office .I am happy to do any type of work since I am learning many aspects, not only of engineering but also of human behaviour. Luckily, due to some transfers, I could get a permanent seat and a table allotted to me in the Unit!”
“That means that you are really lucky to be the proud owner of a permanent address at the Hqs.” He teased me. “I am sure that meeting Kishanjee helped you to have a better appreciation of the organisation. Keep discussing with him, you will be able to get many more ideas from him”
“In WADA, he is the only person who has understood the working of the organisation and of the staff there. “ I told him. “Hence every day during lunch, I spend some time with him to discuss issues and to clear my doubts”
On my return to Hqs., I saw a circular left on my table. It was about a 3 month’s training programme in Project Planning being conducted at the Utah University, USA and wanted officers with requisite experience to give their willingness to attend the course to the HR Unit within 15 days. The compensation being good I thought I should apply for the course since I had the requisite experience and being bachelor, it would be easy for me to go abroad. However, before submitting the application I went to Kishanjee to get  his views.
“If the administration follows strictly the qualifications and experience needed for the training, you are the only person qualified for the training”, Kishanjee commented. ” Hence you must apply for it. Otherwise, it would be presumed that you are not interested in furthering your knowledge through training and such an impression would go against you. But I can assure you that you are not going to be sent for that training.”
“How do you conclude like that?” I asked him, surprised at his opinion. “I know that only if officers who have been transferred from here to the field, like Partha, apply for it, I do not have a chance. Other wise, from Hqs. I stand a good chance as you rightly observed. Then, how can the administration ignore my claim and select someone else?”
“In administration, there are many methods to disqualify  you- such as your having the field experience only in hydro-project planning, a short period of office experience that too not having in- depth experience in evaluating projects, etc. Since the training is ear- marked for one of your identified colleagues, the HR Unit would find in him all the requisite experience and qualifications as also knowledge of a foreign language other than English, so as to recommend him for the course. Training in USA is well sought after and hence my opinion. If there is a training course in Timbuctoo and if you apply for it, then you would be considered as qualified and recommended for the training!”
I applied for the training  and there after came to know that another colleague who had spent one year in the Planning Unit, and had visited some projects while on tour was considered fit for it.
 In my Unit whenever a report on any project was received for approval, the practice was to send the report to various specialised Units like costing, designs etc. to get their comments, forward the views to the client for compliance and on receipt of the amended report, put up with our observations to the relevant Committee for their approval of the project. A number of reminders would have to be issued to the concerned Units for furnishing their views and this used to take many months and sometimes more than a year. During my field tenure, I had experienced that sending reminders on our queries did not yield the requisite response from state government offices whereas, when Venkat personally approached those officers, we got immediate replies from them. Hence I decided to try a similar approach for my project reports.   
My personal contacts with officers of my level working in various Units dealing with the concerned subjects yielded very good results. By following up the project reports in this manner, I could get a large number of them modified by the clients and could submit them to the approving authority for their consideration. My Unit Head was surprised to see the quick response from the specialised Units regarding my projects and the rapidity with which these were being put up for approval. Though my work was of a routine nature with no challenge to be met, I decided not to grumble about it and I made it a point to enjoy it as advised by Kishanjee.
After more than 18 months I spent at my seat, one day I got a circular from the HR Unit, asking my willingness to go for a training course of six months duration in office administration, the venue being at Delhi itself. I took the circular to my mentor for his advice since I considered it as not my field of speciality and hence not very keen about attending it.
“You must apply for this course”, Kishanjee told me.”The problems with professionals are that they think administration as somebody else’s business with the result that they are ignorant of rules, procedures and precedents in administration. Then when they are posted as heads of such institutions, they bungle, making a mockery of themselves.”
“You mean to say that I must get lost in administrative matters rather than doing some challenging work in the engineering field?” I asked him.
“I did not mean that”, KIshanjee defended. “Any training is a learning experience. If you keep yourself in readiness to accept this philosophy, you can learn from a senior, a colleague or even from a junior many aspects of life, be it technical or non technical. For example, Venkat, your junior, taught you how to go about getting responses to your letters addressed to other offices. Your post man Venkateswarlu taught you the basic working of government hierarchy. Hence my reason for advising you to apply. You would certainly be selected since none of the engineers here would be willing for this course. You would learn not only about administration but also many aspects of human resource management, once you undergo this training.”
I still was not sure whether I was doing the right thing by giving option for the training as my colleagues discouraged me saying that if I opt for training now, I would miss the chance for getting deputed for courses in technical field for a period of three years as per rules. My Unit Head also discouraged me pointing out that I should go only for such trainings which would enhance my technical knowledge. After thinking over it for a couple of days, I decided to give my willingness as advised by Kishanjee.
I did not have to wait for long to know the outcome. One day the Section Officer from HR Unit called me to inform that I would be relieved for the training from next Monday and for 6 months, I would be under the administrative control of the training institute. He gave me the relevant copies of the orders.
The School of Human Resources Training where I was deputed for the training was located at Munirka, about 3 kms. from R.K.Puram office. A four storied building with a sprawling campus, it provided training on various aspects in recruitments, resource development, vigilance, accounting procedures, etc.
In my batch, there were 20 officers from different organisations like Customs, Income Tax. Home and Finance. All were of my age group and of similar position in the hierarchy, but I was the only one from an engineering organisation having technical qualification.
On the first day of the training, after introductions were over, the Director addressed us highlighting the importance of the training, the schedule for the six months’ period which included field training for one month. There would be tutorial sessions and we would be required to submit these at frequent intervals during this period. At the end of his lecture, he wanted to know whether we had any question to ask.
Raj Singh from Home Ministry raised his hand. “Are we also to face monthly, quarterly and half yearly examinations like in our school days?”
“No”, Director said smiling. “We do not intend to put you through that strain”.
Om Prakash from Finance Ministry stood up to ask his question.“Since this programme in this school is akin to what our children have in their schools, is there any provision for parent –teacher meet , though in our case the parent is the office which deputed us?”“No such meetings but we send monthly reports to your present ‘parent’ about the progress of the ‘ward’ and finally a certificate for good behaviour.” Director clarified and smiled. All of us enjoyed the joke.
Our training programme was designed in such a way that we had lecture sessions in the morning and tutorials in the afternoon.“Lectures in the afternoon would make you people sleepy.  Hence we devised the course this way”, the Professor in charge of our course, Ramesh Kumar, told us. He also distributed the training material for the first month comprising lecture notes, and tutorials in advance so that we could study and come prepared to attend the class. He also asked us to form five groups, each group with 4 officers to do the tutorials. I had in my group, Raj Singh from Home Department, Om Prakash from Finance Department, and Din Dayal from Income Tax Department. 
During lunch time, my group mates were keen to know about my background and what made me opt for the course. “We generally come across officers of our type having background of a file culture, but not of your technical category”, Raj singh said. “Hence we would like to know about your antecedents and how you strayed into this course. Kindly do not mind about our inquisitiveness.”
“I had opportunities to enhance my technical knowledge, but never got a chance to improve upon my knowledge of administrative matters.” I said.”This training would also help me to come across the kingpins of any office - the Section Officers- who are acknowledged in steering the wheels of the administration.”
The days rolled by with lectures and sessional work keeping us fully busy. We lost count of the days we spent in the School, until we got the notice that we should be ready to proceed for the one month’s field training scheduled at the end of the 4th month. Our group, like others worked hard to complete the pending assignments before the target date.
For the field training, each of the group was assigned an institution to study and prepare reports on how to improve the working of any of its section with the available staff and limiting the expenditure within the sanctioned budget. Some groups were directed to study the working of specified post offices, bus depots etc, to optimise their output. My group was asked to study and suggest improvements in the working of the kitchen of a major hospital to ensure a satisfactory food delivery system for in- patients from the hospital kitchen.
“You have to study the functions presently being carried out by the kitchen staff including their work load, documents related to purchases, supplies, machinery and their maintenance etc. Also make requisite  observations on the working pattern of the staff employed so that you would be able to suggest improvements”, Prof. Ramesh Kumar told us while handing over the relevant letters addressed to the CEOs of the organisations concerned where we were to work during the training period. “You may make recommendations for reduction of staff, but you would also have to suggest where such staff could be effectively deployed”. The Professor advised us.”  Likewise, you may recommend more budget requirements for some activities, but you would also have to suggest some other unimportant activities which could be pruned to divert the funds.”
 The next day we four proceeded to the assigned hospital, the Janpath hospital located near Connaught Place. We met Dr. Dave, the Medical Superintendent, and handed over the letter from our School. “You have to work within the limited space available in this kitchen block.” He told us while taking us around the place and introducing us to Raghu, the supervisor, looking after the kitchen. “But please note that you are not to interfere with the working of the staff since for them timely delivery of the food items is important. We cannot afford to keep the patients hungry due to your study.” We assured him that we would not cause any hindrance to the working of his kitchen during our stay there.
Every day for the next one month, we would reach the hospital kitchen right by 8 A.M. and would continue with our work till 5 P.M. Raghu, a jovial good fellow arranged a table and four chairs for us in a corner of the large kitchen so that we could observe the working of the cooks, movement of food trolleys etc. without affecting the normal working environment there.
One day while entering the kitchen block, I met Rajappan, my brother-in-law’s cousin, looking lost in the labyrinths of the hospital building.
“How are you here”? I asked him.” Somebody admitted to the hospital?”
“My boss has been admitted to the cardiac ward. I do not know where to look for him as I do not know the bed number etc. and the security people do not allow me to enter the wards as the visiting hour is in the evening”
“Come. I would be able to help you”, I told him taking him to our place of duty in the kitchen.”The bearer carrying the food trolley to the ward will take you there without any hassle.”
“What are you doing here?” He asked me.
“We are trying to improve the working of the kitchen here”, I replied. “We study the working of the cooks, bearers and other staff employed here, the procurement of material for running the kitchen etc.”
I found out from Raghu the bearer assigned to carry food to the cardiac ward and introduced Rajappan to him.
“After your visit, if you have time, join us for a cup of tea”, I invited him.
A few days later, I got a call from my brother- in law, Gangadhar, inviting me to a dinner being arranged at his house at Lajpatnagar  on a Sunday to celebrate his child’s birth day. Sunday was chosen for the event since he knew that being a holiday all his relatives would be able to participate in the function. Gangadhar introduced me to all present as an engineer recently posted to Delhi on transfer from Andhra. He took special interest to take me to Rajappan  and to tell him that  I was the first engineer from our village. “I know him, no need for introduction “, was his curt reply.
After dinner, when all the guests had left, Gangadhar told me why Rajappan behaved in such a curt manner while responding.
“Few days back when I met him at his residence, he had narrated to me about the chance meeting with you at the hospital kitchen”. My brother-in-law said recalling the comments of Rajappan.
“That guy thinks that you are not an engineer, but a lower division clerk in a hospital kitchen”, Gangadhar told me. “When I asked him how he found it out, he told me of his meeting you in the hospital kitchen and your helping him to see his boss in the cardiac ward. The funniest part is that he has asked me to be careful in the dealings with you since according to him, you are a confirmed cheat making pretensions of holding an engineer’s position in Delhi.”We had a hearty laugh .
“Rajappan also told me that your work as observed by him appeared to be to instruct bearers as to how to pack food items in the trolleys heading for various wards and checking the quality of these prepared items. He had told me that though you helped him in the hospital, he did not like you because you had cheated all the relatives in believing that you are an engineer! He had also asked me to inform all our people about this fact so that in the marriage market you would not trap some well educated innocent girl posing as a big engineer.” Gangadhar chuckled.
“Then why did you not clarify the position that I was on training in the hospital?” I asked.
“When you return to your duty at WADA on completion of the training I would bring him there one day to see his reaction and enjoy the fun”, Gangadhar  said. “Otherwise, his impression would not change and he would still be harping about your clerical work there in the hospital as he was a witness to it.” I accepted this proposition.
We completed our training in work study and method study a few days thereafter. On the last day of the training we presented our report to the Medical Superintendent. A trial run based on our recommendations convinced the authorities that there would be overall improvement in the preparation and supply of hot food to the patients by introducing the reforms suggested in our report. A couple of months later when I checked up with the hospital authorities about the feedback from patients on this issue, I was told that the changes introduced were yielding good results.

















12. An Ass and a Jackass- Deft Definitions.
We were back in Munirka to continue with our last phase of the training. Our Professor had already given us some glimpses of this part of the training which would emphasise more on group discussions pertaining to selected topics like vigilance, organisation and methods, etc. After a hectic field life, we were prepared for another routine of class room lectures.
One day during lunch, after the lecture on ‘Disciplinary proceedings and Importance of witnesses’, Omprakash narrated to us the tiring procedure involved in any sort of enquiry held in organisations.
“The rules are very clear about giving maximum opportunities to the suspected officer”. Omprakash said. ” Many witnesses are to be examined and the enquiry drags on for years. Many of the officers involved in the proceedings get transferred or superannuated and the new ones appointed to take the place consider the process as boring and consequently the objective becomes more tilted towards closing the enquiry somehow. Even the superiors get anxious to close the case since most of the available witnesses would have retired and gone by then.”
“Have you come across any such interesting situation?” I asked.
“I very clearly remember one such instance of investigations which dragged on for years and we had to plead with one of the accused to give some reply to our queries so as to close the file.” Omprakash reminisced. “As you all know, we have to hold meetings with the Staff Council every year. A couple of years back, the Chairman of our organisation, who was a senior political leader, wanted to  participate in one such meeting, we organised it in the Committee room adjoining his chamber. In the course of the meeting, some issues cropped up which agitated the members of the Staff Council. Many of them stood up shouting slogans against the management and in their fury broke the microphones and even threw some chairs at the organising officers. The Chairman got annoyed at this display of indiscipline and walked out of the meeting instructing the CEO to suspend and if necessary dismiss the members who resorted to such hooliganism. Since I was dealing with the case, the boss instructed me to put up the needed dismissal orders.”
“I was in the horns of a dilemma”,  Omprakash continued. “The Chairman was angry at that point of time, but as the orders were to be issued by the boss, the CEO would be put in an embarrassing position subsequently after issuing the orders, if the Chairman changes the stand due to political pressures. Hence I suggested to the boss that draft orders could be put up and the file could be sent to Chairman’s office just for his information before issuing the orders.”
“There was no response from that office for a couple of days”, Omprakash continued with a chuckle. “Then one day, the Private Secretary telephoned me to say that the Chairman did not want to take a harsh position on this issue and had decided that the errant staff could be asked to explain the reasons for their improper behaviour and if they apologised, the case could be closed. When we got back the file with these instructions, we heaved a sigh of relief.”“Then you closed the file after taking their apologies?” We asked.
“Here comes the procedural issues,” Omprakash said laughing. “This case occurred more than five years back. As directed, we called for explanation from a dozen officials pointing out to them the dire consequences if no reply is received. Most of them apologised after we issued a couple of reminders, but there was one peon, a hard nut to crack, who refused to apologise for his action and, instead  wanted us to apologise to him!”
“I used to get frequent reminders from the Chairman’s office on the action taken to close the case.” Omprakash continued. “The official from that office advised me to try and get some sort of apology from the peon to enable him to close the case. He even warned me that if I failed in my mission it would be a black mark against me! I started pursuing the senior officers to get the result by personally requesting the errant person to tender an apology. After many officers pleading with him, the peon demanded his senior to frame the draft apology letter so that he could approve and sign it for sending to the higher-ups. Ultimately we succeeded in our attempts and closed the case.” Omprakash concluded.
“Carrying out enquiries and thereafter fixing the responsibility is a prolonged affair in our bureaucratic system”, Dindayal said. “Whenever such work is entrusted to me I remind myself of the old story of ‘Andher Nagari’ and its king.”
“I have not heard that story.”I told him.”Mind letting me know of it?”
“If others do not get bored of it, I can repeat it.” Dindayal said.
 “Please go ahead “Others said “We also would like to enjoy the story”.
“There was a king in Andher nagari who believed that instant punishment would be able to control the crime rate in his kingdom.” Dindayal said.”So when a compound wall of a peasant collapsed and killed the neighbour’s goat, the latter complained to the king and as per prevalent rules, the king ordered the peasant to be hanged till death for taking away the life of an innocent animal. The peasant pleaded with the king that it was the failure of the mason not doing a good job that caused the wall to collapse. The king was convinced of the argument and revised the order to punish the mason. The mason pleaded that the wall collapsed because he was forced to use for construction only the bricks brought into the kingdom as approved by the minister and the bricks were of poor quality. The king understood that the culprit was his minister and ordered that he be hanged. Though the minister protested stating that he had to import such bricks due to shortage of building materials in the kingdom, the king reiterated that since a goat had been killed by the wall, the person responsible had to be punished.
“When the soldiers took the minister to the gallows, they found that the size of the standard noose used for hanging was so big that the slender neck of the minister just slipped through it. Hence they went back to the king to inform him that the orders could not be executed.
 ‘“In this kingdom, if a life is lost, as punishment, another life has to be sacrificed to meet the ends of justice”. The king thundered. “Hence find out a person whose neck is big enough to suit the noose”. The soldiers rushed out to find out a suitable person to be hanged as ordered by the king and to their luck they could find the local sweet shop owner (Halwaii) meeting the required specifications.
‘“Why are you taking me to the gallows?” He asked them. “I have been selling only good quality sweets and have not committed any crime.”
‘“Sorry, we cannot help you.” The chief soldier said. “We know that you have not killed anyone, but your neck fits the noose and that is a good enough reason for us.”
“This is how responsibility is fixed based on enquiries spanning many years.” Dindayal concluded. “The moral of the story is that do not stick your neck out while in service if you want to have a comfortable life.”
“Do you know the difference between an ass and a jackass?” Rajsingh intervened to ask us.
“Sorry, we have no idea. Kindly enlighten us.” We said in a chorus. Rajsingh summarised his experience  “Law is an ass, but one who blindly implements it is a Jackass!”We all enjoyed the jokes.
Normally, the lectures in the school are given by the faculty, but sometimes some visiting professors from leading management institutes also used to address us on special topics. However, I could not fully appreciate many such lectures as they appeared mostly theoretical with limited practical applications in the field of office administration.
Professor Dharmendra from the local management institute once took our session on improving production in any manufacturing activity. Probably our teachers presumed that the file work in an office is also akin to a manufacturing work and hence would have invited him to deliver the lecture! He too would have found some similarity between the two and hence would have agreed to address us. Whatever be the case, I felt like others that the lecture was a purely an exercise in futility as it had very little practical application in the administrative offices where file pushing was the main activity.
The Professor gave us the example of a manufacturing organisation with dwindling output and how he could improve the situation by subjecting it to the technique of SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and threats) analysis. After implementing the recommendations made by him, there was a marked improvement in its functioning, he claimed. However, during discussions, he could not convince us as to how the method could be applied in administrative units where the staff is involved in making more and more files!
“We have to find out our own methods to adapt the technology to suit our requirements”, Prof. Ramesh kumar clarified when we informed him of our disappointment about that session.
“We already employ a modified SWOT analysis while dealing with administrative files”. Rajsingh said in a lighter vein.” The modified acronym stands for something else. S-for sleep; W- for wait; O –for outwit and T –for transfer.
“For example, if someone sends us a case for immediate action, we ‘sleep’ over it for some time till a strong reminder comes. If he persists on a reply, we ask him to’ wait’ as the case is being studied. If he continues harassing us, we try to ‘out wit’ him telling him that it is within his powers to take action on such a simple case instead of referring to us and wasting our time also. If he starts pestering us using pressure tactics i.e .making seniors to address our bosses, then we’ transfer’ the case to the specialised unit to get their expert opinion and ask him to deal directly with that Unit.”
“But this way, the case is not disposed of,” the Professor said.“ The case is disposed of as far as our Section is concerned.” Rajsingh clarified. “With such a mind set and approach how do you expect to improve the product output when the product is a file?” 
“That is why I cautioned you that you have to find methods to use such tools in our way of work”, the Professor said. “If we go entirely by text book approach, we would be making a mockery of such techniques while applying to administrative issues. It would be like blindly applying the work study tools to decide the optimum composition of an orchestra group.”
“Kindly clarify”, we requested him.“I would read out a report which had appeared in the media some time back in this regard. Please listen carefully and arrive at your own conclusions.”Professor read out the news item slowly for us to get a full idea of what he meant.
“The recession in global economy has impacted industries, commerce and even government activities the world over. Cost cutting is the present buzzword. Human Resource (H.R.) departments everywhere are preparing blueprints to effect economy in the respective organizations by pruning man power. In the process, many H.R.Personnel, in their enthusiasm to reduce work force to effect savings, are losing sight of the core issue.
Even government departments all over the world are busy in this race to cut costs so as to
reduce the flab in their administrative units. The past practice in such situations is that they usually declare measures such as banning new creation of posts, surrendering vacant posts and banning foreign travels. Thereafter, they create posts for monitoring the implementation of these decisions, transfer excessive posts wherever found to fill the vacant posts so as not to surrender vacant posts and send teams abroad to study how such things are done in other countries.”
“I would now like to read out a typical report prepared and submitted to the management years ago recommending manpower reduction to effect economy in the working of one of the units”, the Professor continued after a pause.
“The report was prepared by an officer who studied critically the man power needs of the British Symphony Orchestra, after evaluating their performance in the concert held at Royal Festival Hall in London With the intention to minimize the budget requirements towards the pay and allowances of the artists, he identified and recommended the man power which could be pruned to effect savings. (How the music would have appealed to the audience thereafter, was none of his concern!)
‘“For considerable periods, the flute and clarinet players had nothing to do. Instead of maintaining such a large idle work force, the number should be reduced and the work spread more evenly over the whole concert, thus eliminating peaks of activity”, the Report pointed out. It further continued the observations as under:
‘“All the 12 violinists were playing identical notes. This seems unnecessary duplication. The staff of the section should be drastically cut. If a large volume of sound is required, it could be obtained by electronic apparatus. Much effort was afforded in the playing of demi-semi-quavers. This seems an unnecessary refinement. It is recommended that all notes should be rounded up to the nearest semi-quavers. If this is done, it would be possible to use trainees and lower grade operatives more extensively rather than employing such highly paid artists.
“There seems to be too much of repetition of some musical passages. Scores should be
drastically pruned. No useful purpose is served by repeating on the Horns, of a passage which has already been handled by the Strings. It is estimated that if all redundant passages can be eliminated, the whole concert time of 2 hours could be reduced to 20 minutes and there would be no need for an interval, thereby effecting further saving on man power and related other expenses like lighting etc.’’
“The Conductor agreed generally with these recommendations, but expressed his fears that the music would jerk along like a drug filled zombie and hence there might be some falling off in the box office receipts then.
“In such an unlikely event, it should be possible to close sections of the auditorium entirely with a consequent saving of over-head expenses, light, attendants etc. If the worst comes to the worst, the whole thing could be abandoned and the music could go to the Royal Albert Hall instead”.
After reading the passage, the Professor briefly made his concluding remarks.
When you go back to your department strengthened with the additional knowledge of improving administration learnt from this institute, always keep in mind the need to be practical and use the technology suited to the situation. Otherwise, your training here would be of no use to the department.”
“Professor Ramesh kumar knows how to approach the subject”, Rajsingh said during the lunch time.
“Busy with Construction and maintenance of infrastructure projects, have you ever come across any interesting episode?” Dindayal asked me.
“No. This is the first time I am getting exposed to interesting situations, though I have been in the field for many years.” I said. “I had come across situations which caused human misery during floods when habitats got inundated and during drought situations but not any of this type of incidents.”
“There is a reason for it.” Rajsingh said. “In your type of works in the field, you deal with human beings whereas we in the offices deal with faceless files!”
I knew that I would have this learning experience only for a few more days and thereafter I would be back to my world of projects. If I had sought training in technical subjects, I would have been able to update my knowledge in the field, but this is a training in which I learnt more about human behaviour, office procedures and administrative constraints which have a definite bearing on everybody’s life.
While taking leave of each other on the last day of the training, we four promised to be in touch and meet whenever possible.






13. Pruning Administration to Create More Posts.
Back in WADA after about 6 months, I submitted my report on the training to my Unit Head. Showing no interest in the subject and cursorily glancing through it, he told me that I wasted 6 months on administrative issues learning nothing about engineering and thereby losing an opportunity for getting training in technical field for the coming 3 years .He brought to my notice that as per the policy of the organisation, my application for any other training would be considered only after a cooling period of 3 years. My colleagues sympathised with me for jumping to take the training in that ‘school’ and thereby wasting my chance for a better one. The only person who appreciated my report was Kishanjee and he congratulated me for getting fully involved with the training
Here engineers think that one should attempt to upgrade his skills only in technical subjects, and should not concern with other skills like in administration to have better future”. Kishanjee pointed out to me.”But skills in getting optimum output from engineers, workers, clerks and other supporting staff come only by having such hands on experience which would go a long way to help one in his career development and this fact is not understood or appreciated by these engineers”.
My work in the Planning Unit continued in the routine way with not much of challenges. Soon rumours were afloat that our batch was under consideration for promotion to the next level of Unit Head. Kishanjee being the repository of all administrative information, I met him one day afternoon to know about the promotion issues.
“Promotion here is by seniority cum merit”, Kishanjee clarified to me. “But here any body’s position in seniority at any time is like the planetary position in astrology. Today the administration may compile a list with you as senior most, but in a couple of day’s time due to someone pulling the strings, you may go down in the list with someone else topping the list. This has been happening for years in this organisation.’
“Did you at any time experience it and thereby suffer in your promotion?” I asked him.
“Look, I came to this position, after surviving many ups and downs in the seniority ladder. When I joined the service, I was senior to many in the ranking, but the organisation decided to earmark some specific posts as permanent and others as temporary. Hence some in my batch who were working against the permanent posts were made senior to me and I along with others who were working against temporary posts became junior to these blessed people. After my promotion, the organisation decided to make all posts as permanent. Some years thereafter, the list was changed again giving weightage to those who were working in the field since it was explained that WADA’s main thrust was directed to field operations. Couple of years after again the seniority list was changed as desk studies became important which helped those with years of desk experience to become senior in their ranking. Now I understand that they are making field posts as temporary, thereby making those recruited against those posts as juniors to those working against the desk jobs! Hence you can be sure of your promotion only when you get it. Till then continue doing good work.”
While my colleagues continued grumbling about the lack of promotion, as advised by Kishanjee, I continued with my projects ignoring the comments of my friends. Then one day the Unit Head called me to his room.
“Now that you had training in the human resource management, the administration is in need of you to help them in restructuring the organisation. As I had already cautioned you before, you can now forget your engineering skills and get into the administrative job. Go and meet Gauri Shankar, the Unit Head in the administrative block who will entrust you with some new assignment. Till you complete that you would be working under his direction.”
I met the H.R.Unit Head in the afternoon. “Good that you are here to help us”, he said welcoming me to take the seat opposite to him.
“In view of the added responsibilities given to us in the water sector, we have to increase our staff strength in the technical units of the organisation.” G.S., as he is known in WADA, said introducing the work required to be done in the H.R.Unit. “Such a study would enable us to take up the matter pertaining to promotions of seniors like you. I have identified some Units where work load is heavy and needs some additional staff to carry out the work smoothly. With your training and experience in work study, I would like you to examine the working of these identified Units and make recommendations as to what extent these need to be expanded to ensure optimum output from these Units. “
“Have you given the necessary directions to these Units so that they do not object to my studying their working?” I asked him as I had got similar directions while taking up the study in the hospital kitchen while on training in that organisation.
“I have already issued the Office Orders authorising you to carry out the study in the concerned Units.”G.S. said. “We have to submit the report within 3 months. Hence do complete the requisite studies, say within 10 weeks.”G.S. handed over to me the organisational chart and the annual report of WADA, marking the Units where urgent studies were required to be done.
After many years of service it was for the first time that I got exposed to the administrative structure of WADA and its functions. I was sure that except for officers like Kishanjee, many of my colleagues and even seniors might not be aware of the pyramidal structure on which WADA stood for carrying out the functions entrusted to it.
Headed by a CEO, WADA had 3 additional CEOs and 7 Deputy CEOs/Divisional Heads, each having 4 Units under them supported by the technical and other officers and staff. 6 Dy. CEOs were entrusted with the technical issues in the water sector while a Dy. CEO directly under the CEO looked after the administrative and financial functions.
At the Hqs. the two Units to be studied by me were the Project Appraisal Unit and the Cost Control Unit. Since a number of projects both from central and the states had to be evaluated and got approved for funding, the technical staff posted in these Units had their hands full and were not even getting holidays or leave while working there. Hence many of the engineers working in these Units wanted to get transferred from there at the earliest and those transferred to these Units managed to get such postings cancelled. My task was to study the work loads of their Units and make suitable recommendations.
When I told about my new assignment to Kishanjee, he narrated an incident during his stint with    National Highways Organisation (NHO), years ago.
“One day, Muthuswamy, the Chief Planner called me to his room as he wanted my advice on how to tackle the work-study team which had come to assess his staff requirements on the invitation of the CEO of the organisation.
“He had four officers each looking after the planning needs of the north, east, west and south zones under him. But these officers were more interested in looking after their own interests than involving themselves with the works allotted to them.
“With what type of other works they got involved then?” I asked him out of curiosity.
“You can go and see for yourself”, the Chief said.”Right under the banyan tree outside, you would find a gentleman, Agnihothri, sitting with a couple of horoscopes and ‘couries’ (shells) spread on a plank marked with squares.  He would be taking down notes once a while and if you ask the details, he would confirm that those were planetary positions pertaining to a specific horoscope. He is in charge of planning for the north zone, but he is more interested in dealing with astrology.”
“He may not be giving you any technical help except predicting your promotions, family life etc.?” I teased him.
“True, that is the only help he gives”. Muthuswamy laughed. “The other zones are also being looked after by such officers who are passionately involved with extraneous works. If you go to the canteen, you would see an officer, Rama Iyer, tasting the preparations and giving directions to the cooks, bearers and even to the canteen manager. He is more a hotelier than being in charge of south zone. The officer in charge of west zone, Keshav Bhai Patel is more interested in repairing cars and can be located not in his seat but in the workshop next to our compound. If you find anyone peeping into a car and giving directions to the mechanic he is the officer you are looking for.”
“You mean to say that none of your senior officers are available in their seats in this office and are wasting their time attending to their favourite hobbies?”I asked.
“No certainly not”, Muthuswamy was in his denial mood. “If you want to meet an officer who is available always in his room, go to Paramanand Das, who is in charge of the east zone. But he remains mostly in meditation, never having time for mundane things like planning projects etc. He is busy only after office hours as he has to organise bhajans, spiritual talks and such issues.”
“With such a group of officers, how are you able to carry out the works?” I wanted to know. “Why don’t you get them replaced for smooth running of the office?”
“All of them have competent juniors who are sincere in their work.” The Chief said. “As to replacing them, it is a hell of a job since they have their political clout. If I disturb them, the entire political clan would fall on me accusing me of harassing such decent guys whose aim in life is to keep everybody happy in life. Then even my boss would not support me. So, knowingly, why should I get into problem? Since these chaps do not interfere with the work of their subordinates and I get the inputs direct from the young boys, my job gets done smoothly with no complaints from the top. What more should I expect?”
“The work study team would find out that these seniors do not have much work and hence might even recommend the abolition of these posts.” I said.
“The trouble starts from then on”, Muthuswamy said. “I have no hesitation to surplus them, but the boss, knowing the influence wielded by them, would blame me for not having presented the workload properly before the team. I have therefore to manage the team and hence my request to you to help me”.
The situation is a sticky one, I could visualise. Muthuswamy has to be saved both from the critical work evaluation being planned by the team and from the wrath of the CEO. I chalked out a plan and requested the Chief to direct the officers to be present in his room the next day afternoon to brief them of the strategy to face the team.
“Oh!  There is another hitch here, “ Muthuswamy said. “These officers come late in the morning , but do not come in the afternoon.”
“Then we would meet, say, around 12 noon.”
“That is a welcome idea.’ The Chief agreed. “As these officers are also worried about facing the study team, since the time is convenient to them, they would certainly make it a point to be present during the discussions.”
“The meeting took place as planned,” Kishanjee continued. “I explained to them that the study team would be observing their working methods for a few days and thereafter they would analyse the self appraisal forms signed by the officers to conclude the workload and requirements. Hence the officers had to make conscious efforts to convince the team about their workload so that the posts are not abolished. I also gave them some tips to project their works”.
“My remarks had a telling effect on those officers and at least during the period the team stayed with them, they could present the heavy workload they handled to get a favourable report from the team.” Kishanjee concluded.
“Was the study team successful in assessing the work load and staff requirements on the basis of their short visit to the office?” I asked Kishanjee as I did not feel convinced that any team would be able to justify their study by a short trip to any place.
“Muthuswamy was quite capable to project the work load with the help of the competent junior staff. Consequently the team recommended two more additional posts for his Unit. The Chief then told me that at least he would have two more officers to assist him while the other four could be left to attend to their hobbies!”
The officers in the Project Appraisal Unit (PAU) and in the Cost Control Unit (CCU) were really overburdened with the work as per the data made available to me by the Unit Heads. I informed them that I would be visiting the Units to physically study and assess the working of individual officers and would request them to fill and give me the self appraisal form of each of them to evaluate their workload. The Officers assured me their cooperation, but wanted some of their doubts cleared.
“I get two to three projects every month for appraisal,” Raj Kumar one of the officers pointed out. “Some project reports contain 200 pages while some others may have more than 500 pages to be studied and evaluated. Some are of complicated designs while some others have simple design features. Hence how can you decide that the study of a project takes a fixed time period?” Others also had similar doubts.
I explained to them that the time requirement is estimated on an average basis arrived at from the number of projects one evaluated during a specific span of time like an year, or 5 years,  the more the period the better the estimate. During this time span an officer certainly would have handled simple, complicated and moderately complex projects, and hence his time requirement could be worked out on an average basis. During the period of evaluation of the project, he would have spent time to consult his juniors, colleagues as well as seniors and also to attend the meetings held by the superiors apart from spending time on telephone, etc.
“The appraisal form given to each of you seeks the details of time spent on each of these elements by an individual during the period of our observations i.e. a fortnight”, I clarified to them. “We would analyse the details given by each of you in the form and compare it with your performance with reference to the projects handled by you during the last one year. We would then make an estimate of the man power requirements for these two Units on the basis of the projected workload for the next five years.”
I also requested them to truthfully fill the form every day and hand it over to me at the end of the day. They should account for each and every element of the time spent on various activities, be it file noting, telephonic conversation, tea and lunch break etc. during the working hours from 10 A,M, to 5 P.M. I could anticipate their doubts and was prepared to clarify them since I myself had reservations about the efficacy of these techniques while I was undergoing the training in the School of Human Resources Training. During those few months in the ‘School’, I could appreciate how the work output from an individual official could be gauged on the basis of his work over a specific period, be he a scientist, engineer or even a doctor.
During that fortnight, I learnt more about the working of the two Units and the pressure of work on each individual officer. I had also sought the self appraisal reports of the Unit Heads so that the time spent by each of them on the specific work element could be obtained. Thus if the Unit Head spent an hour in meetings with the officers, the officers’ report for the same day would also  indicate a similar slot in their report showing  the time spent by them in the meeting with the Unit Head.
 It took me more than a month to complete the evaluation of the appraisal reports. I had also to do the random checking of the files to corroborate with the details filled by the officers in their proformas. On completion of my reports on the study, I discussed the draft reports with the Unit Heads. My recommendations included restructuring the Units and strengthening with additional two Units one each for Project Appraisal works and Cost Control works to handle the works smoothly. However, the Heads of both the Units were not happy about the proposal for creating additional Units.
“What we need is more supporting staff- both technical and non-technical- and not new Units for sharing the works”, they told me. “We as Unit Heads can manage our workloads personally without any stress, even if we have to work overtime and on holidays, but what we want is more assistance. We can mange even six to eight engineers in our Units”
I told them that the span of control for an ideal Unit being four technical officers, a Unit Chief would not be able to do justice to his work if he had to scrutinise and compile the output of six to eight officers. But they were adamant and insisted that their views should be reflected in my final report. When I brought out this issue during my discussions with Kishanjee subsequently, he told me why these Chiefs were against the creation of additional Units.
“The two important units in WADA are the PAU and CCU since they have to recommend investments for projects in various states. Hence these Unit Heads are treated as V.I.P.s by the state officers”, Kishanjee said .“But if new Units are created, the projects would be divided between them, thereby affecting the unique position enjoyed by the existing Chiefs. Hence their opposition”
“But why they do not understand that creation of more posts would also provide improved promotion prospects for the juniors?” I asked him.
“In our organisation, many officers are concerned only about benefits which would accrue to them from any proposal and not bothered if these proposals help only the juniors.” Kishanjee clarified.   “The basic attitude of such officers is that –‘if I do not get any benefit from a proposal, I would not support it even if it benefits juniors’.  Hence many sanctioned schemes, which would have enabled the juniors to get promotions, were not effectively taken up on the plea of shortage of staff and were shelved. The objections to the creation of new Units proposed by you arise from this underlying principle”
I submitted my report also bringing out the suggestions given by the Chiefs of the two Units. My  recommendation was that there was the need for creating two additional Units for effective span of control and for proper supervision to ensure quality work output. Within a couple of months, WADA created two more additional Units on the basis of justifications given in my report.
“In the course of time, you are going to end up as an administrator”, Kishanjee forewarned me while congratulating me for improving the prospects of WADA officers.
   








14. ‘Garibi Hatao!’ and the Story of God’s Sovereign.
Elections to the state assemblies and to the Parliament were looming large and the political parties in the country were framing new catchy slogans to attract the common man’s attention. Thus ‘poverty alleviation’ (Garibi Hatao)became the much talked about slogan in those days. Consequently, WADA  got directions from higher ups to come out with proposals for removing poverty in the rural areas and water being an important issue in the villages, WADA was asked by to prepare  pilot projects  in nearby selected villages in MP,UP and Haryana for improving the availability of the resource.
Planning Unit was assigned the job and the Unit Chief, in turn, identified me to take up the task.
“You have done projects in the field and hence you are the right person to carry out the task”, he told me.
When I broached the new assignment to Kishanjee during our usual lunch time review, he gave me a mischievous look.
“Recently WADA had sent a couple of officers for a three months training  in water planning and project preparation to USA. What about those guys who were well trained to do this job? Why are they not being drafted for this tough job?” Kishanjee blurted out. “At that time, WADA forgot to depute you for this training. Now for getting the work done, they want you, is that so?”
“Training is one aspect”, I said “but doing a job in the field is an entirely different issue.”
“Good that you are not bothered about such policies practised by WADA.” He appreciated my attitude. “Here people are interested only in opting for international assignments which give them good ‘DATA’. They manage to get rid of local jobs by transferring to others.”
“Good Data? I do not understand the sarcasm involved in your statement”, I told him.
“DA stands for daily allowance and TA for travelling allowance”, Kishanjee clarified in his inimitable style. “Good DATA are available when you work for international agencies such as World Bank, UN etc. For such works, WADA would depute their blue eyed boys without considering whether they had any field experience or not. I am glad that you are not affected by such intrigues here. Continue to do your duty without bothering about these pinpricks.”
After lunch, I took my team for a meeting with my Unit Head so as to work out the detailed programme. We selected one village each in MP ,UP and Haryana to study the water requirements and availability in these villages where most of the people were farmers dependent on their fields.  The reports were to be submitted within three months.
“Kindly ensure that your report would take care to eradicate the poverty in our promotion prospects also”, my colleagues requested me. “We are told that based on your report, a national programme for action would be drawn up and to implement those schemes many posts at various levels would be created in WADA. Follow up action on such a report would certainly open up the flood gates for promotions in our service”.
Our first destination was a village in Morena District (MP), located deep within the Chambal ravines. The village Chief, when apprised of the purpose of our visit, assured us full cooperation for carrying out our work and to help us to get details about the village population and other statistical information needed to complete our task. He also made available some workers for our camps to cook food, and to procure milk, vegetables and other essentials. We settled down in the traveller’s bungalow (TB) to start the work from next day.
In the evening the village Chief came to enquire about our welfare. After exchanging pleasantries, he cautioned us to be careful and not to venture out of the TB after sunset as the dreaded dacoits of the Chambal ravines were in the habit of kidnapping engineers for ransom.
“If we had known about this, we would have selected some other village”. I told him.”We selected this place due to the acute scarcity of water reported from here and to find ways and means to mitigate the miseries faced by the people. Now that we have been cautioned, we would be careful not to move out in the night.”
“The workers I have given you are tough guys who would always take care of the security of men and material. Hence do not worry unnecessarily,” he said while leaving. Though a bit upset, we decided to continue and complete the work as planned within the stipulated time. For the next few days we were busy with our schedules of doing surveys during day time and preparing drawings during the night based on the information collected. The labourers employed were to be paid every week as per norms and we had all the cooperation from these people as well. We did not experience any threat from the dacoits during our stay.
After the works were completed, we organised a get together with the village elders. We informed that we had identified the source from where water could be brought to the village through a small dam and canal system which would be adequate to meet the water requirements during the period of scarcity in the summer months. While loading our personal and official boxes, store etc. in the vehicles for moving to the next village planned in our schedule, the village Chief once again thanked us for helping the villagers by technically studying their problems and suggesting solution. 
Our next destinations were villages located in Agra District and Gurgaon District. During our journey, the driver told us that the workers deputed by the village Chief of M.P. were all related to the notorious dacoits of the Chambal ravines. Whenever officers arrived in the village for starting projects, these people informed their brethren in the gangs the underhand dealings, if any, carried out by the engineers and other officials and facilitated kidnappings etc. Since our labourers found that we were honest in making various payments including muster roll payments and that we were only interested in doing something good for the village, they ensured that no harm came to us.
In both villages in UP and Haryana, we had followed a similar approach- meeting the village Chiefs and getting their cooperation for labour etc. Knowing our intentions, they extended all the help needed to carry out our mission. They were also happy when told about our findings in locating sources for diverting water to meet their requirements.
We could complete and submit our report well in time. While concluding our findings, we had recommended the need for a network of offices to be opened by WADA for carrying out water planning in all drought affected districts in the country and to oversee the implementation of these projects.
My colleagues were happy about the report more because of the promotion prospects consequent to the sanction and implementation of the project. Since the government was keen in implementing the scheme, they were certain that it would be sanctioned immediately.
The requisite approvals for the project came within three months, but it did not help WADA’s promotion hungry officers. As per the sanction, the works were to be carried out by the concerned state governments by creating special organisations and WADA’s role was limited to only coordinate and monitor the working of these organisations. Hence in the bargain WADA got the approval to create only two additional Units to coordinate and monitor these works.
“Congratulations”, Kishanjee telephoned me when he came to know about the sanction for new posts. “At least your work helped in getting additional Units in our organisation. Further, WADA has also got its due recognition for playing an important role in dealing with poverty alleviation at the national level.”
I was also happy about the outcome as our reports helped in taking up projects to ensure water supply to all the drought affected areas of the country. I knew that I could carry out the task in record time due to the whole hearted support given by my dedicated team members and I specially thanked them for their help.
Due to the special assignment given to me in connection with the preparation of reports for poverty alleviation, I was away for more than three months and hence on my return to my seat, my hands were full for some time to complete the pending works marked to me during the period. However, my lunch sessions with Kishanjee continued as usual.
One day, during lunch time while we were discussing about the then prevailing work culture of WADA, Gautam, the Unit Head of Flood Unit-2, walked in abusing his counterpart , Rajnikant, of Unit-1. Kishanjee in his usual style asked the agitated officer to cool down and take a seat. He also ordered for a cup of tea and requested him to explain circumstances which led to such an outburst of emotions.
“Rajnikant is a cheat”, Gautam blurted out. “He believes in shirking his responsibilities and expects others to do his work.”
“What is the matter?” Kishanjee asked him.
“Deputy CEO, Ramakanth, in charge of droughts and floods wanted a detailed note on floods needed urgently by the government. He had called Rajnikant whose Unit I is responsible for flood data collection to discuss about the note. Unfortunately, at that point of time, I was also with the DCEO discussing about the preparedness for collecting flow data in the rivers like the Brahmaputhra.”
“Why unfortunately?” Kishanjee intervened to ask.
“Unfortunately because I opted to do the work when Rajnikant told the boss that he was too busy with other tasks”. Gautam said. “The only condition I put forth was that Rajnikant should help me with the concerned documents to which that chap readily agreed. I did not at that point of time read through his intentions as I was carried away by the words of appreciation showered on me by him for having readily agreed to take part of his work load.”
“Then why are you angry with him now?” Kishanjee wanted to know.
“Because as a part of helping me, he sent trunk loads of files to my room,” Gautam said. “Hundreds of files are to be studied and referred to for making the note and that Rajnikant cleverly transferred the entire work to me.”
“You should have asked Rajnikant to make a gist of files to be referred or at least to some earlier notes prepared on the subject to update the same for making the present note.” Kishanjee sympathised with him.
“That is what I told him.” Gautam said. “But the guy had the cheek to tell me that he was asked only to render some help to me and hence he had taken the trouble to sort out the concerned files where the material was readily available there by helping me to that extent. He also told me that he would not be able to do anything further in this case as his hands were already full with many such issues.”
“This is exactly what is happening here”. Kishanjee said turning to me. “If you go out of the way to help someone, he immediately transfers all his work to you.”
I made a mental note of that incident so as to be careful in my dealings with my colleagues at the Hqs. In the field organisations, every one willingly tried to help the others in trouble, but here every one is interested in shoving away their tasks to others at the drop of a hat!
The works in the Planning  Unit  sometimes needed tours not only to the subordinate formations of WADA but also to the concerned state headquarters  to understand field related problems or to get urgent clarifications on data received from them. Usually I preferred to get the clarifications on phone or FAX, but for an important project located in Andhra Pradesh in the constituency of a VIP, I needed clarifications to get the project sanctioned urgently as desired by my CEO. I telephoned Partha about my programme to Hyderabad and he assured me that he would tie up with the concerned officers in the State to get the needed clarifications in writing to facilitate the project clearance. Partha also told me that the local centre of the Institution of Engineers would be organising a function to honour a renowned engineer during one of those days and he would get the invitation card for me also to enable both of us to participate in the function.
The local centre of the Institution of Engineers was situated near the Khairatabad Railway station in Hyderabad, a few minutes walk from the Irrigation Chief engineer’s office. As my work was with the engineers there, I was happy that I could easily walk down to that centre after office hours to listen to that great engineer.
As per the programme, the Honourable Guest was to talk on the subject “Time and cost overruns of Projects” on the first day. The hall was full with engineers from PWD. Addressing the assembled engineers, he told them that they could not always take the excuse of delay in project sanction or budget constraints as the sole reason for the extended time and increased cost of projects being executed by them. A properly investigated and planned project prepared by taking into account the current costs of the various components would never result in very high costs or undue delays in completion.  The geological surprises during execution stage came mainly due to shoddy project investigations. Likewise, the estimates prepared by restricting the costs to such minimum levels to facilitate early approval by competent authorities, would also necessitate revision due to unworkable costs. He pointed out that these man-made deficiencies resulted in cost escalation and avoidable delays. To stress his point, he asked the audience whether they had heard the story of ‘God’s Sovereign’. 
The audience was dumbstruck hearing the famous engineer offering to narrate a story for the first time, since they were used only to hear his technical outpourings and never a story.
“Kindly tell us”, they said in unison.
“A man was in need of money and was thinking of ways to collect it at the earliest”, the famous engineer started. “He knew  only God could help him in this matter and he had to seek the help of such ‘sadhus’ who could advice him some short cuts since he did not want to wait for long trying other methods.
“Look, God would help you to tide over your financial problems”, the ‘sadhu’ said. “But do not be greedy. If you accept this condition, I would teach you some hymns to be repeated regularly so that God would appear before you.”
“God was pleased with the sincere prayers of the individual and presenting before the guy asked him what he wanted.” The Chief Guest continued. The pin drop silence in the hall must have even surprised him.“I need some money to tide over my problems at home”, the man said.
“How much?” God asked him.“Before replying, I would like to know the conversion rates”, the clever man said. “For example, how many earthly sovereigns would make your one sovereign?” 
‘“Listen, One million earthly sovereigns would be equal to one heavenly sovereign and a million such sovereigns would make my one sovereign.” God replied. “But why waste time on calculations. Tell me what you want.“I do not need much. “The seeker said. “I would be happy to have just one sovereign of yours.”
“He was behaving like our engineers trying to get sanction for a project with a minimal budget requirement,” the Honourable Guest commented.
“Then what happened?” We were keen to hear how the anecdote was proceeding.
“I do not carry money with me at any time. If you wait for five  minutes, I would go and get one for you.” Saying thus God disappeared to get the sovereign.“The man waited anxiously for more than 5 hours and still there was no trace of God. Angrily, he went back to the ‘sadhu’ and narrated to him his experience which proved that even God turned out to be a cheat.
‘“You asked for a God’s sovereign and hence the problem because you wanted millions rather than asking for limited financial help from him”, the ‘sadhu’ said.“But I asked only for one sovereign, a God’s sovereign. What is wrong with that?’ “Nothing wrong with that except that it shows greed on your part.” The mendicant said. “To get that you have to wait for God’s five minutes that means, many years on earth.”
“So remember that by submitting a scheme with a low cost just to get an early sanction, you will have to wait for many years to ensure its completion since the estimate would have to be revised many times, necessitating fresh approvals time and again, thereby resulting in cost overruns and unduly long construction time.” the Eminent Engineer concluded. “Ultimately engineer would be blamed for the time and cost overruns, just because he hid the real costs while getting the initial sanction.”
A thunderous applause reverberated across the hall.
The next day I was busy with the local irrigation engineers clearing my doubts on various project features which did not get reflected in the original report. Keeping in mind the previous evening’s story, we worked out the modified estimates for the project and a workable time frame for its completion after the requisite project sanctions were obtained.
In the evening, I went to Partha’s guest house as promised and we had a good time talking of the events of the two days we spent together. I told him of my experience in dealing with the state engineers who had prepared a reduced cost estimate for the project concealing many components thus revealing how true the Chief Guest’s statements of the previous day were.
Partha then told me that according to his findings, politicians, just to please the people in their constituencies, kept  on inaugurating projects after projects and got started those projects knowing fully well that the requisite funds would not be available in the budget. The result was that the projects continued to remain under construction for many years and none was getting the benefits from these projects even in spite of spending sizable amounts. He was of the firm view that if small projects properly investigated and correctly estimated were got sanctioned, it would have been possible to complete them on time and to ensure that the benefits reached the public without undue delay.
“I am reminded of the local folk story on “the miser and his caps (topis), in this connection.” Partha told me. “Presently, all our  projects are just like that.”
“I have not heard the story.” I told him. “Why not educate me about that?”
“A miser got a beautiful piece of cloth from his in-laws to make a cap (topi) to cover his bald pate.” Partha said.” He wanted to take the cloth to the local tailor, but his friends cautioned him about the tailor’s habit of stealing and keeping a part of the cloth for his own use whenever any cloth was given to him for stitching. Being clever, the miser instructed the tailor to make maximum number of topis and if there was any  cloth left there after, that could be kept with the tailor. The tailor readily agreed to do the needful to please the client, just like the engineer agrees to take up maximum projects with minimum budget allotted to him so as to please the political masters.”
“An interesting comparison” I agreed with Partha.
“After 15 days when the miser went to collect the promised topis, the tailor gave him 20 small topis.
‘“What to do with these small topis?” The miser got furious seeing the product.
‘“You wanted maximum numbers out of the small piece of cloth you gave me.” The tailor defended his action. “You can use them for covering your fingers.”
“Likewise, a number of projects are sanctioned and started every year and only foundation stones are laid  to be seen everywhere which is of no use to the people. We engineers are a part of such projects,” Partha  pointed out.
“We in our Planning Unit are trying to ensure that projects properly investigated and cost estimates worked out as per present rates are only recommended for investment clearance so that escalation in costs and long gestation periods are minimised.” I told him.
“Let us try our best so that projects get completed fast and benefits accrued to the people in short time. By the way, we would have an early dinner together since you are to catch the tomorrow morning flight to Delhi”.
After dinner, I took leave of him and wished him an early transfer to Delhi so that we both could meet daily in the room of Kishanjee to have lunch together and discuss everything under the sun.
   
  



















15. Coordinate- Without Ordinates!
The much talked about promotion orders in WADA came sometime in the month of March. The posts were mostly in the field Units except for one post in the Coordination Unit at Hqs. As per the guidelines followed in the organisation, orders regarding postings and transfers to field offices were issued during this period so that the transferred officers would have adequate time to settle their children in the schools at their new place of posting.
I was promoted as Unit Head and posted to the Coordination Unit, an office not much liked by the engineering fraternity in WADA.
“You would be heading a post office type job needing no engineering skill.”Some of my seniors advised me. “Wait for better posts to be created shortly at the Hqs. and don’t jump for the promotion offer given by the HR. If you accept this offer, you would be doing only the job of collecting material from every Unit, compiling it and posting it to the party concerned or, in setting up Committees, attending meetings, writing minutes and follow up there after. Do not expect any challenging job there.”
The Unit Head, HR. with whom I had a good rapport, had told me earlier that since I had completed field tenure, I would not be posted to field Units on promotion but would be kept at Hqs. only. However, new Units for international cooperation in River valley projects and for planning  for trans –boundary rivers were expected to be created within few months and if I wanted posting in those Units, I would have to wait; otherwise the only post available was in the Coordination Unit  and I could be posted there.
I remembered the advice given to me by Kishanjee that in every posting and in every job there would be enough scope for learning. Hence I accepted the offer and joined the Coordination Unit.
For the first few days I found the job as a routine one, consolidating the information given by various Units and forwarding to the department which sought the details. I was advised that any delay in despatching such information would be frowned upon by the CEO and the Unit Head would be hauled up for being lax in his duties. Hence I used to personally meet the concerned Unit Heads to collect the information so as to avoid getting blamed for someone else’s failure in discharging his duty!
With the arrival of monsoon, rising river water levels and the looming floods became a major issue facing many parts of the country. To mitigate the resultant miseries inflicted on the residents living in the flood prone areas, WADA had to prepare projects to be executed within the short time available before the rivers were in spate. Hence a high powered Committee was to be set up to come out with short term plans and the Coordination Unit was asked to do the needful in this regard.
Basically, after reading many articles on how committees functioned, I was never willing to accept that work. It was my firm belief that though a committee a day kept the problem at bay, it would just be a face saving option to escape from public criticism. Analysing the working of committees, some authors had commented that ‘a committee would decide when the buck should stop, provided another committee had decided that the buck should stop’. According to some others, a committee could be termed ‘as a group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit to do the unnecessary’. My seniors had told me that the reports of many committees were such as to protect the authorities and not to give any information to the reader. However, when directions came from CEO to take necessary actions to set up the Committee, I had to do the job, I knew. I telephoned the proposed members of the Committee to know about their willingness and availability for taking part in the deliberations of the Committee. I followed it up with a letter detailing the terms of reference, the time available to submit the report and the honorarium etc. payable to the members.
As the Committee was required to submit its recommendations within four months, I remained busy during those days preparing agenda notes, arranging to hold the meetings, finalising minutes etc. in addition to my routine works. The only expertise I got was in arranging hotel accommodation in short period, hall reservations and transport facilities. As none of the Committee members was willing to compile the minutes of these meetings, I was also to jot down the discussions during the meetings and prepare the minutes of these meetings.
After the Committee submitted its report, the responsibility to follow up the recommendations of the Committee was again entrusted to the Coordination Unit instead of the Unit under the Member Secretary of the Committee.  When I protested with the HR Unit Head that it was not a job of Cordination Unit, he told me that the directions were given by the CEO. If I had any grievance, I could meet the CEO and explain the problems in handling the task. Kishanjee had told me earlier that there were only two rules to be followed while in WADA for a worry free life;
Rule no. 1-  The boss is always right.
Rule no. 2- If you do not agree with the boss, follow rule no. 1.
Hence I decided to follow the time tested rules and obey the directions of the boss.
With the creation of new Units for dealing with the issues pertaining to international rivers, many consultants from abroad used to visit WADA for discussions. Normally they were put up in the government run  Ashoka Hotel and for their transport, taxis from the hotel were provided, CEO decided that the Coordination Unit would be the hub  for all such activities, Thus apart from working as a post master, I also got the advantage of working as a tour operator! No one wanted to take over my post because of these additional requirements, while there was a long queue of officers for taking over the posts in the Units dealing with international aid, planning and construction matters.
Even in a Unit like Coordination, I found the days hectic and my lunch time meetings with Kishanjee became few and far between. He knew my predicament and encouraged me every time I met him for keeping WADA’s flag high particularly in view of the global recognition it was getting through these contacts. He also advised me to keep the wheels of Coordination Unit well oiled to run it smoothly so as not to give any room for complaint from any quarter.
One day CEO called me to his room to introduce me to Mr. Louis, a consultant from UK and Professor Dinesh Kumar, a Professor from Delhi University. Louis was accompanied by his wife, a journalist, involved in writing about the places of tourist interests in India. The Boss wanted me to accompany this VIP team in their tour to inspect the Rajasthan Canal Project (RCP), an inter- basin link project meant to bloom the Thar desert. I was also to take them to the nearby places of tourist interest. By afternoon, I got the office orders deputing me for the purpose. According to the orders, I was to be only a facilitator, and the hosts would be the RCP authorities who would meet all expenses of the tour.
“ RCP’s representative would take care of the tour expenses. The University has also agreed to share the expenses of the tour and an advance would be given to the Professor”. The WADA’s Accounts Officer told me while handing over me some contingency money for my tour. “Remember that this money is meant for meeting emergency situation only and not for entertaining these people.”I thanked him for the financial support given.
During the tour to the project area, we were all accommodated in the guest houses of RCP. The project had deputed Surender Singh, one of their Superintending engineers to accompany us and to take care of our requirements during the tour.
We spent about a week going around the project, observing the construction techniques adopted and collecting details of design features, drainage conditions, cropped areas and the social and environmental impacts expected due to the project construction along with the remedial measures proposed to mitigate the negative impacts. On the last day while returning to the local guest house, Mrs. Louis expressed her desire to visit the forts and palaces in and around Jaipur.
Surinder  Singh took us around the city  the next day and by the time we reached a  fort turned into a five star hotel, it was 3 P.M.   He told me that he would not be able to wait there and would like to be excused as he had to go for a meeting scheduled in the evening in his Chief Engineer’s office. He also said that he would leave two vehicles there for our return, one exclusively for the use of Louis and his wife and the other for me and the Professor.
“Now that it is nearing tea time, why not we have something to eat here in this hotel?” Dinesh Kumar suggested. While extending this invitation to the Britishers, I could make out from him that he expected me to foot the bill.
“O.K. with us”, Louis said.
After we were seated, a waiter appeared to present us the menu with four large embossed leather folders for each to choose the items needed. The folders were so brilliantly bound that I felt the leather bound folders containing project reports prepared by WADA for perusal by VIPs would be an apology compared with these. The contents in the menu folder reflected the ambience of the place giving vent to a feeling of luxury and an expensive outing. For example, the cost of  ‘samosa’ sold here appeared to include the air transportation charge to bring it from the ‘dhaba ‘near WADA office to serve it here! On perusing the menu items I felt that I would need to take a month’s pay in advance to enjoy a square meal here. My Accounts Officer had already indicated the permitted limits in spending the contingency money given to me and also cautioned me that expenditure other than for contingencies would be recovered from me.
“What would you like to have”? I asked the guests. “We always prefer to take light snacks in the evenings so that our dinner is not affected.” Louis said. I was relieved at that moment, only to realise soon thereafter that ‘light’ did not necessarily mean inexpensive.
Mrs. Louis ordered ‘cheese pakodas’ and ‘samosas’ for both of them to be followed by ‘gulabjamuns’ and ‘rasgollas’.
“For a start, one plate each of these Indian items would do for us.” She said looking at me.
The Professor kept mum as if it did not matter to him even if they wanted to taste all the Indian items listed in the menu in spite of knowing that expenses on entertainment of the guests would have to be met by him when required in the absence of the RCP representative. He had told me that he had taken adequate advance for this purpose, but he intended to use it for some personal purchases only and I would have to foot the extra bill payments whenever required.
I studied the menu carefully, running my fingers down, not on the items of dishes mentioned, but on the price line.“I cannot take anything as my stomach is full due to late lunch. Hence I would prefer to take just only French fries”. I told the guests.
“In that case, I would keep company with our guests”, Dinesh Kumar offered.
While we were waiting for the dishes to arrive, Louis asked me the details of the project I was working then. I would have liked to tell him that at that point of time I was on a project trying to balance my budget with the sudden spurt in expenditure expected within an hour.  Instead, I told him the details of all the projects I was handling then in WADA.
The samosas, pakodas and the sweets arrived and I sat silently watching the three of them eating while I nibbled French fries.
Presently the waiter materialised again holding another folder with golden mangoes embossed on the cover.
“Would you like to have some mango juice”? I asked them so as not to appear peevish.
“Not for me”, Louis said.
I heaved a sigh of relief a little too soon.
“I would certainly enjoy the famous Indian mango juice”. Mrs. Louis said. “You should also taste it at least once”. She insisted looking at her husband. “Be a sport, at least keep company.”
“I am also willing to have it”, the Professor intervened.     
 “O.K. I would have a small one”, Louis agreed.
The waiter turned to look at me.
I pretended as if I was studying the list looking for better options, though in fact I was actually searching for mineral water-bottles if available at cheaper rates. When Louis persisted, I told him that I never drank anything other than cold water in the evenings since according to Ayurveda, water cleans the system and keeps the body fit. I did not tell them the real reason for opting for cold water in the hotel was that as per the rates indicated for beverages in the menu card only cold water would keep me financially healthy! 
While clearing the dishes, the waiter asked my guests whether they would like to taste the day’s special ice creams.
“No, thank you”, Louis said and I appreciated his being quick in taking decisions.
Suddenly, Mrs. Louis remembered about the ‘litchi  ice creams’ of India.
“Then I would also try it.” He agreed.
The Professor also placed his demand as if the payment was not his concern, even though he was one of the hosts as per orders issued regarding this tour.
“I would hurry up to check whether it is available now,” the waiter said helpfully. “Normally it gets exhausted during lunch time itself.”
No need to hurry, I wanted to say, but instead I just smiled.
Fifteen minutes later, the waiter came back, triumphantly holding three bowls of the speciality.
“The last available for the day”, he beamed.
“We are very lucky”, the three declared.
“Very true”, I chipped in attempting some mental arithmetic.
“Normally, many like to have coffee to top it”, the mischievous waiter said.”Our famous filtered coffee from south India, called ‘kapi’, is really a hit with many of our globetrotting customers.”
“O.K., I am a game for it,” Mrs.Louis said.
“And for you also?,” he asked turning to me and the Professor, taking for granted that Louis would also have it.
“No, not for me,” I said, though I could not offer any explanation as to why a south Indian like me did not drink coffee.
“I do not mind joining you”, the Professor volunteered. “I enjoy coffee”.
I could not understand as to how the Professor turned a coffee lover, because at all other places he preferred only tea. May be, he wanted to taste it at my expense!
I called for the bill when the guests put down the cups, not because I was in a hurry, but because I noticed the bearer materialising with a silver tray exposing leather bound folder. I did not cherish any more exhibitions of the Indian culinary skills which my guests were always eager to experience. 
In the meanwhile, the Professor suddenly appeared to remember that he had an appointment with the local Vice Chancellor and he had to rush to the University to be on time for the meeting.
”Sorry, I had altogether forgotten about it and it is an important issue, “the Professor said.”Kindly excuse me for abruptly leaving you; of course, my friend would take care of you from now on. I would be back in the guest house by dinner time.”
Turning to me, he said.”Sorry that I have to go. Anyway I would be sending back the vehicle once I reach the University.Kindly entertain them and have a good day.”
I had homicidal tendencies then, but I controlled myself. I wondered why whenever the question of payments came, both my friends, the hosts, remembered that they had to attend urgent meetings! According to the orders issued, all three of us had been relieved of all other assignments to enable us to be exclusively with Louis and there was no mention in the orders about the need for any of us to attend urgent meetings etc. in any other office.
The bearer shortly materialised carrying a shining tray containing a neatly folded document. I opened the bill preparing myself for taking the impact of the shock. The figure was sufficient to take care of my monthly household expenditure including children’s school fees and other miscellaneous expenses. I made a quick assessment of the cash then available with me and was relieved to know that I would be left with enough cash for meeting my auto fare to the guest house if the Professor forgot to send the vehicle to me.
When I pocketed the cash balance without giving a tip, the bearer gave me a look that would have turned me into a stone had he the powers of the legendary muni , ‘Durvasav.’
When we came out, Professor Dinesh kumar was waiting outside in the vehicle.
“The meeting was cancelled and hence I rushed back so that you would not have to wait long for the vehicle”, he said sheepishly.
Another surprise was waiting us there at the guesthouse. Surinder singh had also returned to receive us there since his Chief had to meet the Minister and hence cancelled that meeting. Certainly, a day of coincidences!
On completion of the tour, the next day we were back at Delhi. We met CEO, WADA, and apprised him of the outcome. I also submitted a tour note as was the practice, bringing out the progress in project implementation and areas needing more financial aid to ensure timely completion. The episode at the hotel at Jaipur was, of course, not included in the report. 










16. A  ‘Song Divine’ for Office  Goers.
My stay in the Coordination Unit of more than five years was a record, since the earlier incumbents used to seek and get a change after every one or maximum two years. As per the convention followed regarding transfers in WADA, the tenure for an officer at every Unit was 3 years. Hence though I was trying for a change to a Unit dealing purely with technical issues, I was not lucky to get a transfer for the past two years.
In the meanwhile, many changes had taken place in WADA. New Units had been opened both in Headquarters as well as in the field. Kishanjee had opted for deputation to another organisation. Partha continued in the field organisation, but posted to a new field Unit. Many openings for training in US and UK arose and there was a mad rush of officers opting for training programmes in these countries.
One day the HR Unit Head phoned me to ask whether I would be interested in going on deputation to the Road and Water Transport Development organisation (ROWADO) at a senior level. He told me that he was circulating the details but was certain that many would not opt for it for want of job satisfaction from the assignment. As I felt that it was the only way I could get a shift from the Coordination Unit, I assured him that I would certainly apply for it.
I got the appointment offer from ROWADO within two months and I was relieved from WADA immediately thereafter. Balalkrishnan, CEO, ROWADO, explained to me that their  organisational set up was similar to WADA. He had 3 technical wings, the Road Wing (RW), Road Transport (RT) Wing and the Water Transport (WT) Wing, and one Wing for administration and finance, each headed by officers of the rank of Deputy CEOs. He also gave me a copy of the annual report of the organisation detailing the staff structure, functions and the budgeted expenditure during the previous year.
There was a meeting scheduled for the senior officers at 11.30 AM. and the CEO asked me to join the same so that I could be introduced to all the officers in the organisation. The meeting was to discuss the programmes and expenditure planned for the current year.  I found that he was highly impressed of the activities of WADA, since in the meeting , he referred to the help received from WADA many times and had also pointed out that it spared an officer to help them in the activities related to the development of inland waterways in the country. He specially took interest to introduce me as the new Dy. CEO (WT) Wing to all the officers participating in the meeting.
After the meeting, Madanlal, the Unit Chief of Water Transport Policy Planning (PP)led me to my designated room and briefed me the activities entrusted to the Wing. He told me that the post of Dy.CEO was lying vacant for a long time and the Dy.CEO, of Road Transport (RT), Kashinath with the assistance of the two Unit Chiefs of WT was managing the office.  Even in my Wing, now out of the three, he was the only Unit Head left as others had also gone back to the parent organisations on completion of their tenure, a few days back.
A perusal of the Annual Report gave me the idea of the overall structure of the organisation. The WT wing had three Units, one each for policy planning (PP), project development (PD) and field projects (FP). While the PP and PD units looked after the entrusted functions from the headquarters, the FP Unit was in charge of the field organisations at Chennai and Calcutta monitoring the pilot projects across the water ways of the country.
Most of the technical posts were vacant for the WT Wing though adequate technical and administrative posts had been sanctioned. The lack of staff resulted in heavy workload on the available staff, thereby affecting their performance. After observing the working of the Wing for a few days, and guiding the available officers to deal with the issues pertaining to river flows, geomorphology etc., I decided to meet the Dy.CEO( administration), Harishankar, to expedite the filling of posts on a war footing as otherwise, I would have to surrender a major part of the budget sanctioned for the Wing. I telephoned Harishankar for a meeting  to sort out the issues the next day and he readily agreed to meet me to discuss the issues at 4P.M.
A tall, well built, bespectacled man sporting a Krushchev type beard, Harishankar appeared a jovial man always ready to help. While exchanging pleasantries, he told me that he was a product of Banaras Hindu University( BHU) and after his post graduation in Business Administration, he had served in many public sector undertakings.  After joining ROWADO 5 years back, he never looked back. He also told me that he had heard of me through a common friend Rajsingh who was in the same batch as myself as a trainee in the School of Human Resources Training.  When he saw my bio-data while screening the applications for the post, he had also telephoned Rajsingh about my applying for the post and the certainty of getting selected as Dy. CEO (WT).
About my purpose of meeting him so soon after joining the post in WT, I explained to him the problems faced by my Wing for want of staff and the likelihood of heavy surrender of my budget during the year. He knew the problems of the Wing, he told me, but his difficulty was in not getting adequate response to the various posts advertised in the national news papers. He asked me whether I could help him to get the needed people apply for the posts already advertised.
Many of my friends working with the irrigation departments in various state governments had told me the lack of promotion prospects for their juniors and had been frequently seeking my help since they felt that national organisations had better career prospects. Hence I took this opportunity to telephone them to recommend their deserving subordinate officers to apply for the posts. I also apprised Harishankar of the action taken by me.
 A couple of days thereafter, the HR Unit Chief told me that there was overwhelming response to the advertisements for the posts in my Wing. So far so good, I thought.
I could build up a very good rapport with Harishankar in due course of time and recognising his potential and administrative acumen, I found in him another Kishanjee to help and advise me when needed.
I had to meet the Dy.CEO (Administration) a couple of times even after sorting out the vacancy problem in my Wing. There were many cases of sanctions to be cleared for the field units to release the budget provisions. Hence I fixed with him time for a Saturday afternoon to discuss specific issues. Officially, Saturday afternoons were holidays for the office and hence I knew I would get enough time with him to discuss not only my cases, but also miscellaneous issues. When I entered his room, he was on phone explaining to someone the financial limits for treatment in private hospitals in Chennai.
“The gentleman has to undergo a bypass surgery in a leading private hospital there and their rate is Rs. 3 lakhs, where as our approved rate is only Rs. 1.5 lakhs.” Harishankar  told me.  “He had been phoning me time and again since last 2 weeks to find out how to get the full reimbursement. I told him that he would get the full reimbursement if he took treatment in a government hospital, which he is not willing to do.”
The phone rang again and from my friend’s response, I could make out that the call was from the same officer at Chennai.
“Why don’t you go to some reputed government medical college hospitals there where you could get the treatment within the prescribed limits, if you are so particular about it?” he suggested to him.
It appeared that the Chennai officer was not willing to be put off with such suggestions.
Exasperated, Harishankar told him a solution.”There is one alternative I can think of in your case since you want the operation to be done in the hospital of your choice- The suggestion is that you can request  the authorities of your hospital to limit the surgery to the reimbursable amount of Rs. 1.5 lakhs.”
“You appear too inconsiderate about his plight”, I commented.
“What else to do?” he said. “The officer wants only to get treated in his hospital of choice and hence is not willing to accept the permitted medical assistance provided by our organisation.”
Looking at the list I carried, he smiled, recognising the purpose of my visit.
“I know that in my Wing there are many of your files pending for approval. After you took over the charge, I had made a list of the cases pending with me and have identified the problem areas. You have to clarify them and there would not be any delay in according the approvals from our side.” He handed over me a bunch of papers for clarifications from my side.
I said “My complaint against you administrators is that you give too much of importance for paper work quoting rules and regulations. In the process you ignore the basic principle that administration is required to help in smoothly running an organisation to achieve its objectives. But everywhere I find that it is a stumbling block. Why do you waste so much of time on paper work?”
“I do agree with your observations.” Harishankar said. “But as of now we are tied down by rules, regulations, precedents etc. to take decisions on any subject referred to us by you people. These rules etc. are such that, while dealing with a case you can interpret them either to favour or harass an individual. I think that I should write a book on the subject of interpreting rules and regulations to help the people concerned.”
“Instead, why don’t you use your skills and start interpreting the holy Bhagavad Gita?” I asked him. “At least it would help some tormented office going souls getting succour.”
“Yes, I have already started the work to interpret the slokas of the holy text to assist office staff, the Arjunas in the offices, to help and guide them for running the wheels of administration. Care to hear some excerpts?”
“I would love to”, I responded.
“Then, listen”. Harishankar took out the holy text safely kept in his table and asked me to read the relevant slokas marked with red pencil.
“You know that the soul of an office, the atman, is the file. This is the basic premise on which the interpretation rests. For example, read the Chapter 2, verse 24 extolling the role of atman as eternal, all pervading, stable, immoveable and ancient. In our case, atman is represented by the file which would continue to live year after year, unaffected by changes in regimes, till it is stored in the archives as an ancient, valuable document.”
“My interpretation on the holy text is full of such aspects aimed at the present work culture in the offices and for the staff to focus on the duties calmly by ignoring the fears caused by the dead moments of the past and the unborn moments of the future. A self realised official surrounded by mountains of files and also with files pouring in from all sides, from subordinates and superiors, would never feel perturbed as he practices what is said in chapter 2, verse 70. He would be like an ocean maintaining the same level in spite of many rivers discharging the waters into it from all sides. Such an official works as per the directions given in chapter 2 verse 47 ie; the right is to work only but never to its fruits.”
“Generally, an uninitiated official is tempted to act because of his anxiety to get promotion or because of his fear of getting punished for not doing the job given to him”, Harishankar continued . “But a self realised official follows the dictat given in chapter3, verse 18. For him, there is no interest in what is being done, or in what is not being done, nor does he depend on anyone to achieve any objective. The higher ups may approve his notings in the file or they may criticise his approach and return the file, but he does not get affected by such acts. He knows the directions in chapter3, verse 30 that with a mind free from hope and egoism, one should continue with the fight, in this case the clearing of a file, freeing his mind from hope (of getting promotion) and from egoism(ie; the thought that he alone is responsible for the work)”.
 “Now look at chapter 4, verse 13 about the 4 ‘varnas’ created by the Lord. In official parlance what do you make out of it?” Harishankar asked.
“I have no idea.” I said meekly.
These 4 ‘varnas’ represent the 4 classes of public servants in an office, the temporary, quasi permanent, the permanent and the permanent frustrated. Once you are able to recognise them and allot the work accordingly to the chosen staff member, you can have a hassle free life in any public office.”
“But how to identify them?”, I asked like Arjuna seeking clarification from the Lord.
“It is very easy”, the administrator said. “When you get an urgent letter or a file seeking immediate action, you can do the test checks by asking your subordinate to attend to it so as to identify the class to which he belonged.”
“I would immediately put up the case with the relevant documents- this would be the response of the purely temporary official. He would read the letter and take it along with him to do the needful.”
“As per the allocation of work, my colleague is to do this job, but I would coordinate  and help you to get the necessary details- this is how a quasi-permanent official would respond after hurriedly going through the letter and taking it reluctantly with him.”
“This is not my work- the permanent officer would blurt out after casually going through the subject matter of the letter and handing it back to you”.
“Don’t you know that this is not my work? Why did you make me walk all the way here just to show  this silly letter?”, the permanent frustrated official would thunder , throwing it back at you.”
“Hence it  is necessary for any boss to identify and classify the subordinates to get the jobs done willingly,” Harishankar said.
It took some time for me to digest the advice. Once my friend found that I am ready to listen further, he continued.
“The Gita is replete with such great principles for use by office goers and if they study and adopt them for their day to day working, they could live free from worries. “ Harishankar stressed. “You may be under the impression that the file system is causing red tape in any office. The fact is that without files, administration does not move. You may talk about ‘paperless offices’, but if there is no paper, there is no file and if there is no file, no work on any subject. Hence if by chance you are to deal with the staff in an administrative set up, remember that you would have to deal with files handled by many, some permanent and some permanent frustrated people, to run the administration. You would have to get the best out of them, understanding the psychology of those people and utilising their dormant capabilities to push through the files to run the administrative machinery.”
“I would eagerly wait for your publication interpreting the holy book to guide office goers” I said appreciating him. “It would certainly be a hit when published.”
While leaving, I thanked him for the speedy action he had taken to deal with my cases and promised him that the requisite clarifications would be furnished within a fortnight.
 







17. Grievance Causing Mechanisms.
My stay in ROWADO gave me a lot of experience not only in planning, developing and maintaining inland waterways, but also in tackling the personnel and financial issues, the latter part mainly due to my interaction with Harishankar.
“Since you have only 2 field Units headed by middle level officers, we do not face much problems in the transfers and postings in your Wing,’ the Dy.CEO told me one day.”For us the main headache comes from the Roads Wing which has many field units all over the country and headed by senior officers.”
“Officers should be happy to move to field units since they have freedom of work there”, I told him based on my field experience in WADA where many officers were in Queue for getting field postings.
“Here the situation is different as nobody wants transfer to the field to face the headaches there from”, he said. “Hence as soon as a transfer order is issued, we start getting representations from the transferred official. I have analysed the representations received from various such officers who had given their reasons for cancelling the transfer. Here we issue transfer orders ahead of the school vacations so that parents could plan the children’s admissions etc. well in time. Since the officials could not protest on that account, they resort to giving representations quoting deteriorating health conditions of self/ family members, water not suiting the family, parents very old and suffering from many ailments, marriage of sisters etc.”
“Then how do you run the show?” I asked him eager to know his approach in managing such situations.
There was a call in the intercom and Harishankar picked it up and said. ”Let them come in”
Immediately thereafter, the door opened and a Junior Executive in HR barged in almost dragging along with him his Assistant.
“Sorry for the intrusion”, the Executive apologised to me. Turning to his boss, he said.
“This Assistant, Yadav, is a useless person. He says he would not do even a paisa worth office job in ROWADO”
I thought that Harishankar would be agitated by the unannounced intrusion and the furore created in my presence. But he did not appear to have been affected at all- at least his face did not show any disturbed feeling.”Well, what is the matter? He asked the officer.
The officer narrated the events of the past few days on dealing with an urgent case and the non-cooperative attitude shown by Yadav to him and to his other junior colleagues. Yadav being in charge of the Record Section, he was not making available the needed files to others to link with the case in hand, the Executive complained.
“Have you got any problem to work?” Harishankar asked Yadav.
“I have decided not to do any work for this Organisation,” Yadav replied. “I had worked for  18 years  as a Lower Division Clerk before I got promotion as a Senior  Clerk and thereafter it  took 15 years for me to get a promotion as Assistant. I am working in this post for the last 2 years. All along I had been getting excellent appraisal reports but for what use? These youngsters using various means get promoted fast and are trying to boss over me, dumping me to take care of old records. They want that I should get the relevant files, give an extract of the earlier decisions in the case and suggest future course of action in the case. I did what they wanted for some months but finding that they take all the credit for the work and treat me as a useless subordinate, I have decided to work as per rules only- take out the needed file and hand it over to whosoever requisitioned it and nothing more than that.” 
“I would get you transferred and dumped to some other Section, if you behave like this”, the Executive flared up.
“You may not be knowing the rules, otherwise you would not have used this threat of transfer”, Yadav replied coolly.”As per the existing orders, an Assistant has to be kept and his performance watched for a minimum period of six months in a Section, before transferring him to another Section. Since there are more than 60 Sections in ROWADO, I may have to come in my next ‘birth’ also to complete the rotational transfers! Hence I do not bother”
“Well, to take this decision of not to do any work in future, what has been your reason for provocation?” Harishankar intervened to ask.”Are you against this Executive, or against me or against this Organisation?”
“I am against this Organisation, which has cheated me in my career.” Yadav blurted out. “I have no hesitation to work for you, but not for this set up.”
The Executive was seething with anger, but his boss stopped him.
“O.K. I need some help in getting facilities for my touring officers, like reservation of their accommodation, return journey tickets, etc. Can you take charge of that responsibility?”
“With pleasure” Yadav said. “Only condition is that I would not touch any file on administration even with a barge pole.”
“Then, I am transferring you to work directly under me”, the boss said. “From now on, you would take care of the amenities for the touring officers, such as their journey bookings, guest house reservation, local transport etc. Is it acceptable to you?”
Yadav was extremely happy with the suggested functions as clear from his expression.
When the Executive and Yadav left, Harishankar told me that as per his information, Yadav was a good worker, but wronged by the circumstances in the system. He was thinking of optimally using the services of the Assistant in some other position Earlier, the Executive was not willing to spare him till that day, since he was useful in locating and furnishing details for each case. Now since the Executive was willing to spare the Assistant, the best way to tap the resourcefulness of the subordinate was to give him a challenging job.
There was a good response for the posts advertised in WT Wing since many from the state irrigation departments had applied for the technical posts at various levels. The interviews were to be held at Chennai, Calcutta and Delhi. As I was the Chairman of the interview Committee with two senior officers from the state irrigation departments concerned as members, I requested Harishankar also to be a member of the Committee.
Harishankar was not eager to be a member in a Committee meant to select technical personnel.
“My staff would accompany you to help you”, he said,” since, I do not feel at ease in such interview committees as I do not have any technical knowledge to assess the candidate’s suitability”
When I told him that in the interviews conducted by technical organisations, nontechnical officers were also members, his response to my statement was a hearty laugh.
Harishankar then narrated to me about an interview which took place in a southern state.
“According to the local recruitment rules, any officer selected for any post in any organisation, has to appear and pass a departmental test within 6 months of completing his probation period. The test would be followed by an interview to test his knowledge in Hindi, the national language.
“The peculiarity in most of the southern states is that since the Chairman and Members of such interview Committees were not well versed in Hindi, they would seek the assistance of a local Hindi teacher to assess the knowledge of the candidate in the language. The teacher, as per rules, could not be a member of the Committee and hence not eligible to give marks for the candidates’ knowledge in Hindi . During the interview, the marks are to be given only by the members of the Committee.”
“How then would they be able to assess a candidate?” I asked.
“Due to the constraints, the members decided that marks would be given on the basis of the confidence with which the candidate answered the questions in Hindi and the expression of the teacher in response to that! The passing or failure of a candidate in the language test is, thus purely subjective.”
“If I am to be a Member of your Committee, i would also have to follow a similar technique to give marks to the candidate”, Harishankar  pointed out.
“We would sort out these issues later”, I told him “But, you have to be a Member”, I insisted.
Ultimately, he agreed to my request on the condition that he would assess the candidates only on the questions put by him and not for technical questions raised by others.
The decision to hold the interviews at Chennai and Calcutta also was firmed up since the members from the concerned states insisted for it as they could not stay away from their headquarters for long periods. I decided to make use of this opportunity to see the field operations of my Units to get an idea of their problems.
During my various interactions with Harishankar at the headquarters, I could see and appreciate his way of handling administrative problems erupting out at any point of time. He never appeared upset or angry when the union members or individuals agitated by some administrative orders, barged into his room. He used to listen carefully to their grievances and explain the provisions of the orders to calm them down.
“During my years of service, the main lesson learnt was to listen patiently to an agitated employee”, he told me one day while discussing staff problems.”Normally, their cause of grievance gets evaporated once they find that you are keenly listening to them. Thereafter, they would calmly present their problems and would be willing to listen to your administrative constraints. If you seek their ideas for implementing the orders in a better way, they would in fact be glad to even support your actions. This is what I have been following for the last many years in my administrative Units.”
The positions in the WT Wing which had remained vacant for a long period started getting filled soon after the results of the interviews were communicated to the selected candidates. There were many fresh graduate engineers joining at the initial entry level. I felt that being raw to the work, these new recruits had to be given some initial training in the organisation so that they would not feel lost when entrusted with tasks, like I had experienced in WADA without any initial training. Harishankar agreed with my views and earmarked a 3months programme for training of the new graduate recruits.
With filling up of the vacant positions including those of Unit Chiefs, we had to work hard to achieve our targets before 31st March, the end of the financial year. As I was extremely busy, I could meet Harishankar only very rarely during this period. However, it so happened that I had to urgently meet him one day to get extra funds allocated to my Wing so that the planned works could be completed well ahead of time.
When I entered his room, he was trying to calm down an irate Chief from a technical Unit complaining about his peon whom he had sent for getting urgent information from the state transport headquarters.
“I do not want this peon, Ramdorai, a good for nothing chap”, the Chief was fuming.
“Please sit down”, Harishankar said. “Kindly tell me what happened”.
“Yesterday, Boss had asked me to get an urgent information on the state transport department’s (STD) plans for procurement of buses for the current year and the information was to be passed on to him within 24 hours.” The Chief said. “I had prepared a letter addressed to the General Manager, STD and sent this chap to that office at 11A.M. instructing to get the reply in writing by evening itself. I had also phoned the G.M. about the urgency of the matter”.
“Then what happened?”
“Ramdorai took the letter and told me that he would take an auto rickshaw and rush to that office and get the reply by evening. But I advised him that there was no need to waste money for hiring a vehicle and instead, he should take a bus plying every 15 minutes from our locality to that office.”
“Did he refuse to go?” Harishankar asked.
“He went grumbling and came back in the evening with a dirtied dress and holding a crumpled letter squeezed in his palm.” The Chief said.”Ramdorai told me that the personal staff in that office did not accept the letter as it was not in a readable condition and asked him to get another letter.”
“Surprised at the sight of the crumpled letter, I asked the peon how the letter got spoiled when it was given in a good condition to him. Now you yourself listen to his excuses and judge the facts” He turned to the peon and asked him to speak out.
“Sir, as directed by the Chief, I went to the bus stand to get the transport bus”, Ramdorai said. “The first bus was full and I could not get into it. By the time the second bus came, it was tea time and so I went to have a cup of tea. After I came back, I missed 2 more buses as they were packed full. I was feeling hungry and as it was nearing the official lunch time, I went to have a quick meal in a nearby restaurant, all the time taking care of the letter entrusted to me. When I came back from lunch, I saw another bus and rushed to get into it.  I slipped and fell into the drain nearby, but bystanders helped me to get into the bus, though with a torn shirt and a drenched and crumpled letter. I thanked my stars for I did not lose the letter when I fell into the drain. When I reached the G.M.s office, his Personal Assistant called the peon to throw me out thinking me to be a beggar, but when I explained the position, he sympathised with me for taking such a big risk, but as he could not read the contents, the letter being crumpled and drenched, he asked me to get a fresh one. And straight I came back within the stipulated time to report to the boss and get a fresh letter. Why should he blame for the fiasco as I did what I could to the best of my ability?”
“You can easily understand from his account that he purposefully created the situation” The Chief said. “I had to get the work done as ordered by my boss and hence sent my officer today morning itself to get the requisite information from that office. How could I depend on this guy for doing any official work? He might even lose a file and I would have to start from the scratch to make another one. Hence please transfer him out.”
“I would take necessary action in this regard. “ Harishankar said. “In case you can spare him without a substitute, I can issue the orders immediately”
“I certainly would need a peon who can be trusted with work”, the Chief replied. “Do it as early as possible”
Harishankar promised him to do the needful and after they left, he turned to me and said.
“Here in our Wing, we come across all types of complaints, mostly man made. The Chief could have been a bit generous by approving auto- fare to the peon and his work would have been done in  2  hours time. But he wanted to save that small amount and ended up without getting the results within the same day. Again he had to send an officer for the purpose today.”
“But your administration only had issued orders recently that every step be taken to minimise travelling expenses”, I pointed out.
“True, our intention was to reduce the unnecessary expenditure incurred by officers while on tours,” the administrator said. “But most of them including this gentleman do not care about it. Only last month he submitted a hefty bill, after undertaking many air journeys which were unnecessary, incurring  expenses on entertaining his friends who did not contribute anything for the business development of the organisation. Hence it is incorrect for him to insist his peon to travel by bus for office work and show savings in travel expenses.”
I nodded in agreement.
“In HR Wing, we spend a major part of our time in listening to such disputes and try to sort out them to the satisfaction of the parties concerned. Hence please give us also some credit for ensuring increased output from the organisation every year,” Harishankar said.
I fully agreed with his views. In fact, every time I had a meeting with him on various administrative issues, I came back with a better appreciation of his outlook on human resource management and I was learning many aspects of administration.
My deputation period of 3 years came to an end and the orders posting me back to WADA reached the CEO at the end of the period. I had the satisfaction of putting the WT Wing on a strong base and in pushing through proposals for making some of the inland waterways as national waterways on similar lines as the national highways. The two field offices were also strengthened to carry out pilot projects on the newly declared national waterways.
I was averse to farewell parties and hence strongly opposed my colleagues organising any such party for me. Knowing my habits and outlook on life as such, Harishankar wanted to know the reason for my objection as he was certain that there must have been some embarrassing situations I witnessed during my service period till then. As he went on pressing me to disclose the reason, I narrated to him that incident. 
While working in WADA, one of the Dy.CEOs who was never liked by many of his staff in the organisation, retired and as per the usual practice, a farewell party was required to be arranged in his honour. His reputation in the organisation was such that none of the staff members who had worked or had even an association with him wanted to participate in the party. The organisers overruled the objections from them and went ahead with the programme. They invited the President of the WADA Council to be the Chief Guest so that there would not be any protests during the function. They also knew that the Chief Guest had tolerated the officer when he was the CEO of WADA.
“As usual, in a farewell party, everybody on the dais would speak highly of the retiring officer ignoring his misdemeanours and it was the same in this case also”, I told Harishankar seeing that he was keenly listening to my narration.” Hearing the glowing tributes showered on him, the officer got unduly flattered and when his turn came, he took the opportunity to further claim that his achievements were the results of his perseverance and hard work. He did not give any credit to the contribution made by his subordinates nor did he feel it necessary to acknowledge their support. The Chief Guest spoke thereafter. His was a short speech appreciating the achievements of WADA and the meritorious work done by the officers and staff in the development of water sector.  He also made a passing remark on farewell parties as being rituals everyone has to face at the end of his service. The Chief Guest concluded his speech narrating the story of a retired official who, after death, was brought before St. Peter, the gate keeper of heaven. After referring to the records, St. Peter ordered that the gentleman be sent to hell as there were no records of any praiseworthy work done by him in his tenure on earth.
‘“But all those presently in heaven had praised me and these are all recorded in the 3 CDs available here,” the man protested.
“St. Peter immediately arranged to get the CDs checked to find whether they were genuine. On getting the report about its contents, he finally told the gentleman that he had to go to hell only.
“The CDs  show that the people had showered praises on you on three  occasions, one in a farewell party on your transfer, secondly in the party on your retirement and lastly on your death.”
“The President concluded the story and wished the officer a long healthy life.”
On hearing the episode,  Harishankar laughed till tears came from his eyes.
“I really enjoyed your company during these years”, he told me. “I would therefore request you to accept the party being organised by us out of our love and regards for you”
While agreeing to accept the party, I told him that it is only for keeping up with the traditions in the office, but I would certainly be meeting him there after also to get advice on administrative matters.
After handing over charge to my successor on the next Saturday, I requested Harishankar to spare sometime in the afternoon. He readily agreed.
“You have enough potential to be an administrator,” he told me when we met.”Your way of working here did prove that”.
“I would prefer to do justice to my technical jobs rather than getting involved in the thankless job of administration”, I told him. “When I complete a work in the field, say a drinking water scheme or an irrigation project, it would make people happy. Instead, if I get into administration, many people would be angry with me for not obliging them either in transfers or in promotions, etc.”
“Even for completing a technical project on time, you have to have a team fully energetic and committed to the cause”, Harishankar  pointed out. “But any team leader would get such staff only if the administration provides him with such a team. If the administration is bad, it would result in having an aggrieved staff who would not have the requisite enthusiasm to carry out the work. Hence there is the need for a good officer to head the administrative machinery.
“Further, if the personnel know that there is an administrator ready to listen to their grievances, they would know that the administration would help them to solve their problems.” Harishankar continued. “Put yourself into their position to find an answer. You would then be successful. Hence even if you are not able to satisfy many people due to administrative and financial constraints, once they are satisfied that your actions are well meant, people would not blame you. Take it from me.”
I thanked him for the advice and headed to WADA to join duty there by afternoon.
 


 



18.  Training the Untrained.
Many changes had occurred in WADA during the 3years after my going on deputation to ROWADO. Kishanjee was back and had taken over the post of Dy.CEO (HR). Partha Rao and Prasad Sastry already promoted as Unit Chiefs, were the new incumbents at the Vijayawada and Hyderabad  regional field Units. A new Unit for training of officers and staff was created under the HR Wing to provide induction training to fresh recruits and in-house training to cadre officers to keep them updated about the latest developments in relevant subjects.
“I was keeping the post in the Training Unit vacant for you, as the administration told me that you would be back from deputation during this month.” Kishanjee said when I went to report to him after getting relieved from ROWADO. “Since you had enough experience in the Coordination Unit, I felt that you could now be posted to head this Unit and direct its working, considering the experience you had as a new recruit”.
“I would prefer to be in a technical Unit than in an administrative Unit and I am sure that you would appreciate my views. “ I told him.
“But Training Unit is not doing any administrative job”, he defended his decision.” You have to be fully updated about all the developments taking place in the technical field, if you were to give training to your juniors. It is more like the job of a college professor”.
“Further, I had a selfish motive also in posting you under the HR Wing.” He added. “Instead of lunch time meetings, we would be able to meet more frequently and discuss the issues facing not only WADA, but also the whole world.” He chuckled.
Giving due respect to him, I accepted to go with his decision of posting me to the Training Unit.
The newly created Training Unit had a better staff dispensation compared to other engineering Units since it had in its roll not only technical officers but also administrative and accounts  officers to help in formulating training plans for fresh recruits and middle level officers in WADA.  
After my taking over charge, I decided to have a meeting with the staff to know the facilities available to them in discharging their duties including their seating arrangements and availability of type writers, photo copying machines etc. In the meeting it was also decided to formulate a schedule for training for the next five years. The induction training for fresh recruits was to be for a period of 6 months, subject wise training for middle level officers to span 3months and special training courses of fortnightly and monthly duration for officers from the states and central organisations. It was also decided that for WADA officers all trainings abroad would be coordinated, processed and followed up by the Training Unit.
I sent a brief note on our deliberations to Dy. CEO(HR) for his information.
Next day I got a call from the Dy. CEO(HR) asking me to meet him at 12 noon for discussing the proposals sent. During the meeting he suggested that apart from technical subjects suggested for mid -level officers, they should also be exposed to general administration issues, vigilance matters and accounting procedures.
“Many mid-level officers would be required to be posted to field units in view of the increased number of such units in WADA now.” He pointed out. ”They have to be updated since new guidelines and directives are being received from the government in these aspects. They should not have any chance to say that they are unaware of the rules. Further, many complex administrative problems have also to be tackled by the field officers and hence they should be equipped to face such challenges.”
“For every complicated issue, the administration always comes up with the suggestion of setting up a committee to study and solve the problem”, Kishanjee pointed out. “We should not fall for that. Instead, we should try to evolve a system which would work out the modalities in finding a solution to it and equip our officers for that. In the organisation where I had gone on deputation, the committee concept made a fool of the administration and I was a witness to that. Hence my suggestion.”
“What happened there?” I asked the boss.
“An officer was rushing up with a bundle of files from the ground floor to the 3rd floor when he was knocked down the stairs by a couple of officers rushing down the staircase to catch their chartered bus leaving for home. There was a huge commotion among the staff who blamed the administration for not taking measures to protect the safety and life of the staff members. According to them, many such incidents were bound to happen because of late comers rushing up to mark their attendance and early goers speeding down to catch local buses to their destination. Hence they demanded separators  be put up in the stair -case to streamline the movement of the staff who were in a hurry.
“A very interesting situation”, I said. “The administration would normally look for precedents for taking actions in such cases.”
“As there were no such earlier instances  reported, the administration had to think and find out a suitable approach to tide over the situation.” Kishanjee said. “One bright lad from the administrative cadre suggested setting up a committee to study the feasibility of making such an arrangement. The committee was to study and recommend within a period of six months the needed action and the costs involved for implementing the work. He also proposed that the funds for the work could be initially made available from the’contingencies’ and subsequently budget could be sought separately for the project during the budget review in the month of October.
“Accordingly, a committee was set up by the HR Wing to submit its recommendations for ensuring safety while the staff moves up and down in a hurry. The committee deliberated on the issues involved for three  months and decided to entrust the work to a leading consultancy organisation stipulating that the studies be completed and recommendations made within a period of 3 months so as to enable the committee to submit its report within the time available”
“Did the consultant come out with a technically viable proposal or as usual pocketed the money and gave an impracticable suggestion to ensure the safety of staff while negotiating the stair cases in a hurry?” I asked Kishanjee.
“The report  of the consultant had to be kept in sealed cover as the committee felt that it had made a scathing attack on the work culture of the staff,” Kishanjee said. “The consultant appears to have pointed out that within the stipulated time they could not interview many of the staff .Most of them were absent from their seats reportedly being deployed for work elsewhere. Hence they had to concentrate on those staff using the stair cases in the building. After studying for a fortnight the movement pattern of the staff using the stair cases, they concluded that the late comers were generally the early goers   and hence there was no need to put up separators on these staircases.”
‘Though some money was spent for the studies, it helped to have a precedent in such matters and according to the committee members, the money was considered as well spent!” Kishanjee concluded.
The proposals sent from the Training Unit regarding the training schedules and the need for coordinating foreign tours were approved in toto by WADA. Hence all cases for training abroad had to be routed through this Unit. In course of time I found that every Unit Chief was proposing only his name for such trainings in USA and UK and not of their subordinate officers. The only exception was those from Rajnikant, Chief of Flood Unit-1.
According to many of my colleagues, Rajnikant was a shirker, pushing off works entrusted to him to other Units finding some excuses. But Kishanjee had a very good opinion on him.
“He is very level headed, unselfish and fully focussed in doing functions allotted to him.” Kishanjee told me one day. ”Once you discuss with him  the reasons for not accepting some  cases, you would know that he has solid reasons for his refusal  and you would not be able to blame him.”
“But many of my friends heading various Units have a different opinion about him”, I said. “They always complain that he does not do any work and is interested in passing on works allotted to him to others quoting some orders . Whatever work he is forced to do, he does it clumsily and the other Units had to edit to make them presentable“.
“Sheer jealousy,” Kishanjee said. “His fundamentals are strong, his analysis of any subject undoubtedly the best and his proposals are well studied bringing out both positive and negative aspects. Whenever any file comes from him, you go and discuss with him and then you will be convinced of the depth of his knowledge and the pains he had taken to formulate the proposal.”
I did not have to wait for long to test his way of dealing with cases. In response to one of our circulars for recommending an officer for a six month’s training in USA, many Unit Chiefs enclosed their bio data indicating their willingness while Rajnikant recommended his Junior Technical Officer (JTO) for the training. The Chief’s note recommending JTO, included an analysis of the work carried out by the officer and stressed that the training would help him to introduce new technologies in WADA  to enhance its position  in the water sector.
Taking the opportunity to meet and discuss with the Chief, I phoned Rajnikant to spare some time for me to get some clarifications on the proposal cleared by him. He readily agreed.
 I could get the requisite clarifications from him and he convinced me the need for giving such training to young officers who would be able to utilise it in the projects handled by WADA.I also  found that  my  other colleagues had given a prejudiced version of his way of working. To satisfy my curiosity, I asked him point blank about the prevailing impression in WADA about his way of working-   that he never accepted any work and found ways of transferring the jobs marked to him to others.
“It is a fact that I do not accept any work which is outside the functions of my Unit,” he said.” Most of my colleagues do not want to attend to their assigned functions and generally succeed in convincing their bosses that the work is to be done by my Unit. They also pretend that they are overworked and I am the only officer who is less loaded. I do not take it lying down and instead push the work back to them. When they fail in their attempts, they spread the canard that I shirk the work allotted to me. I prefer to complete the work on the same day without permitting the files to pile up to impress others that I am overworked.” Rajnikant continued. “In WADA, some bosses feel that files on the table at the end of the day indicated the work load of an officer. My table is always clean at the end of the day as I prefer to complete my work the same day, even if I have to come to office early and sit late; hence the misunderstanding about my work load.”
“Many colleagues had pointed out to me about the ‘ Sarayu file’ which you tried to transfer even to some other organisations,” I said. “What are the facts about it? I was also given to understand that ultimately you had to handle it.”
“Ah! That was a really interesting case,” Rajnikant said reminiscing about that issue. “A V.I.P. reference landed on my table one day recommending the need to change the name of the Ghaghra river as Sarayu river to project the cultural heritage of our ancient land. He demanded immediate action to be taken by the government to facilitate this change. As per the directions in WADA, the officer accepting the reference is responsible to submit the reply after coordinating with all offices concerned. As I knew that changing the names of places ,roads etc. in the country is to be handled and decided only by the Home department as per allocation of government work, I refused to accept the letter  and referred it to be handled by that office  .”
“You were right in taking the stand,” I said. “Changing the names of cities like Bombay to Mumbai and Madras to Chennai  was authorised by that department”.
“But someone in that office refused to accept the reference pointing out that that it is responsible for changing the names of settlements etc. which are located at a specific place. In the case of rivers, as they flow from one place to another, that office took the stand that WADA has to take up this issue which involved cultures and traditions.
“I still was not convinced of the argument put forth by that official. “ Rajnikant continued. “The basic purpose for which the V.I.P. wanted the name change was to show case the ancient culture of the country linked with the great epic Ramayana and considering that purpose, instead of WADA, the Department of Culture would then be ideally suited to deal with the case, I felt. Hence I referred it to that organisation for taking necessary action. Here again, I met stiff resistance from that office as they insisted that WADA, being responsible to handle all matters pertaining to the rivers of the country, has to deal with the case.”
“I was still not willing to take up this job as I was convinced that all such issues were to be handled by policy making departments and not by a technical organisation like WADA.” Rajnikant continued. “Hence I pointed out to the CEO that as per government’s business allocation and rules, if there was any difference of opinion among its offices on the jurisdiction on any subject, government was to take the final decision as to which organisation would deal with the issue. However, CEO was not willing to accept my view. He called me to his room and put a straight forward question to me that if a senior asked a junior to do a job what should be done. I told him that the junior had to comply with it.
“Here the Minister calls me and directs me to do the job, then what should be done?” he asked me.
“No way except to do what the Minister desires”, I responded.
“Then do this job without any further objection,” CEO waived me off. And I had to do the job much against my will’, Rajnikant said defending his action.
“My colleagues think that I shirk the job”, He continued after a few moments. “The fact is that I do not accept a work pushed to me by some others if I am convinced that it is not included in the functions allotted to my Unit.”
I thanked him for explaining why he did not accept specific works. As there were many officers in WADA who used to get their work transferred to others on the pretext that they were overloaded with work, I could appreciate his rigid stand on the issue.
I had many such occasions to meet and discuss with Rajnikant to get clarifications on some of the files sent by him. The discussions helped me to understand him better and to understand his analytical abilities.
Another day when I went to seek some clarifications on the file sent by him, I found him busy reading a book on environmental degradation authored by a leading professor on the subject. Seeing the thick book containing more than 1000 pages, I was curious to know as to what made him to browse through the text.
”Are you planning to join the organisation on environment?” I asked him.
“Nothing of that sort”, he replied. “I am forced to read this book and offer my comments by tomorrow, a courtesy extended by my colleague, Bhat of PAU. He slept over the case for the past 2 months and when the advisor of that organisation put pressure on our CEO,  Bhat convinced him that he was overloaded and I should deal with the matter since floods and environment are inter related subjects. As per directions from top, my boss ordered me to convey the comments directly to Bhat so that he could reply the advisor.  Though I pointed out that precious time was wasted by that Unit Chief, my boss ignored all my protests and directed me to do the needful and report to him.’
“But how would be able to complete reading 1000 pages and write comments in such a short time, a highly impossible task to be carried out by any officer.?”
“It is not that difficult once you know the purpose behind such requests,” Rajnikant said. “The Professor wants an appreciation from WADA for the great work done by him, though he knows that we deal with water sector only. I have read many books outside our engineering field, like books on “Techniques of fast reading”, “How to appear well read”, etc. Applying those methods, I would be able to give my observations by tomorrow afternoon.” 
“Could you make me a privy to your methods so that if pushed to the wall at a later date in any other assignment, I would be also able to make use of it”, I said.
“Please read the books I mentioned “, Rajnikant said. “You would have to adapt the techniques indicated there to suit your requirements. For example, to show that you have read the book completely, select pages at random, read some sentences here and there, put an exclamation mark, a question mark, etc. and make a mental note of such pages. Thereafter, write a brief on the author’s back ground and a summary of the contents which are generally available on the flaps of the book. “If an executive summary is available that would add to your vocabulary while writing an appreciation on the work” Rajnikant pointed out.”Since all such books would have made some blunders in spelling and grammar, you can pepper your notes with those comments also. You would be surprised that your boss would congratulate you for the extraordinary work done by you.”
”But if someone takes the trouble of reading through the book, they would find out the fraudulent work you did”, I said.
“”The summarised version of the book given on the flaps could not be wrong, nor the executive summary, then why worry?” Rajnikant said laughing. “More over who has the time and energy to go through, say a 1000 pages of a book to find fault with it? The exclamation/ question marks made in some pages would certainly indicate that the book has been painstakingly read by the individual and none would doubt it. “
“If you are asked the reasons for putting question mark in some pages and exclamation marks in some other pages, how would you justify your action?”
“No problem, I would say that I did not agree with the views of the writer, as simple as that”, he said.” I give my comments on these lines on books thrust on me which do not interest me. But if it interests me, I do a thorough study, analyse its contents and prepare my comments ensuring that none would be able to counter my views.”
“I have another clarification to be sought from you about your peculiar behaviour with some colleagues”, I told him. “Could you oblige me with your explanation?”
“Certainly,” he said. “Now that you have understood my approach in dealing with works assigned to me in WADA, I am sure that you would be able to appreciate my attitude to errant colleagues as well.” He said. “Please go ahead”
“Some time back, while I was with  Kishanjee during lunch time, an officer from your flood Wing came to complain  that instead of helping him to do the job, you had simply sent trunk loads of files on the subject  to his room.” I said. “Do you remember the incident?”
“Yes, I very well remember of that. “ Rajnikant chuckled recalling the case. “That officer wanted to impress upon my boss that he was a capable guy. The work was to be done by me and I wanted four weeks time to gather the data, analyse and complete the report. But he told the boss that he could do the job in 10 days, if I helped him. I saw through his plan to get credit for himself for the work to be done by me. Hence I assured the boss that I would help him with the requisite data for enabling him to do the job fast.”
“But the complaint was that instead of helping him, you dumped all the files in his room.” I pointed out.
“I gave him all the data he needed which were available in the files and he could have made the draft report culling out the details from there.” Rajnikant said.”I did not at any time agree to prepare the draft report on his behalf.”
After meeting Rajnikant on many occasions, I was convinced that his idealism was the problem for his colleagues who were more interested in doing less work, but keen on claiming credit for work done by others. The prevalent motto of some of his colleagues appeared to be ‘less work, more comfort, make service a pleasure’.
But he did not subscribe to this motto and hence others had problems with him.
On another occasion, when I met him for getting some details on the proposals received from him on ‘flood forecasting’, he was looking into some Survey of India maps of Mahanadi basin. Curious to know what made him to pour through these plans, I asked him the immediate provocation for getting involved with the basin plans.
“In the ministry, a new Officer on Special Duty (OSD) has been appointed to advise the honourable Minister on water issues.” Rajnikant said.” Being not a qualified person and also ignorant on the subject, he has made it a habit to snub all officers in the meetings chaired by him, asking irrelevant questions and seeking information on various data not related to the subject. Those who do not show him the data or plans would be blamed for having come unprepared and having wasted his time. If you show him the records, he would waive you off and question the next officer on another issue.”
“We have to go prepared when he calls a meeting on a specific subject,” I pointed out. “There is nothing wrong in his asking for documents relevant to understand the issue.”
“Provided he tells us on which subject he would like to discuss,” Rajnikant said. “For example, I was told that he would discuss on Mahanadi issues tomorrow. Now I do not know whether he would like to get an overview of the projects, or ongoing disputes in the basin, or projects planned thereon. If I am to carry all the documents to show and explain to him, I would then need a truck to carry them.”
“Then, how do you propose to handle Him?” I asked him.
“I have my methods to deal with such people who are incapable of grasping issues quickly and are interested only in snubbing the officers. I am preparing for the meeting accordingly.”
After getting the requisite clarifications on his files, I was back in my seat but was keen to meet him after his scheduled meeting with the OSD.
Two days later, I came to know that the OSD had talked very high of Rajnikant being an asset to the organisation.
“Did you carry a truck load of documents to satisfy his queries?” I asked him when I met him that afternoon.
“Certainly not.” He said. “I had carried just the basin maps and a note book containing important data,  since I knew that he would be impatient If I searched for data from volumes of records. “
“He did not question you?” I asked.
“At first, he wanted to know about Hirakud project. “ Rajnikant said. “I showed him its location in the map I carried and gave him some of the salient features of the project. He cut me short and asked about the flood levels. Here again, the map was helpful to show him the water spread. Even before I completed my reply, he wanted to know the number of people affected by floods. Since I knew the population density in those villages, I could straight away give the numbers, which would have surprised him. He then turned to others, waiving me off. He appeared satisfied with my replies.”
It was a learning experience to me as to how to handle impatient bosses and political big wigs.
A couple of days later, when I went to get approvals for Rajnikant’s training programmes, Kishanjee asked me about my impressions on him.
“He is a gem of a person, very knowledgeable and fully involved with the work allotted to him.” I said.”One cannot take him for granted, nor push him to the wall to get a work done, if it does not fall within his assigned functions. And if the work is his, he would devote his entire energy for completing the work to every ones satisfaction.”
“I agree with you”, Kishanjee said. “The weakness of WADA is that this organisation does not have many officers of his calibre. Now it is for you to train officers to get the best out of them to make this organisation remain the leader in water sector.”
I nodded. 














19.  A Cog in the Wheel of Administration.
For decades, WADA had been sending officers for training abroad to learn about the advanced technology being used there to deal with various aspects of water resources. On return from training, the understanding was that the officer would be posted to the relevant Unit so that the knowledge gained could be used to impart the latest thinking while dealing with the subject in the Unit. However, most of the officers trained in specialised subjects managed to get posted back to their original Unit from where they were sent. Hence their services were not available to such specialised Units. As the Training Unit had all the relevant information, it was decided by WADA management that this Unit should make available the information to the administrative Unit to ensure that right persons are posted to the requisite jobs.
It took almost three   months for the Training Unit to compile the information as many files had to be referred to get the details of the officers deputed for training in a period of 10 years.
One day Kishanjee called me to meet him urgently at lunch time. After he became, DY.CEO(HR),our lunch meetings were few and far between since either of us would be busy  in some meeting or other which spilled over lunch time.
After pleasantries, Kishanjee broached the subject as to why he wanted me immediately.
“The Unit Chief (Administration), i.e HR Unit Head, is retiring by the end of the month”, he told me. “I was thinking of transferring you to that post. Any objection?”
“I have worked already more than 3 years in non technical units and now I would prefer to be posted in a technical Wing”, I told him. “After all, others also should get a chance to serve in these places.”
“Plainly speaking, this is an important Unit in WADA compared to others and I would personally like you to be there since I have confidence in you”, Kishanjee said. “More over, your past experience not only in the field but also in ROWADO, comes in handy to manage this post. Our CEO is highly impressed about your way of working in the Training Unit. After the CEO, ROWADO, talked to him about your initiatives in building up the WT wing there on a solid foundation, he is particular that you should be put in charge of our Administration Unit.”
“I am grateful to you for guiding me at every turn of my career.”I said. “But do I not deserve to be a technical specialist instead of being stamped as an administrator?”
“You must remember always that success of any technical organisation depends not only on the individual technical officers but also on the support given by its administrative Unit.” Kishanjee said. “A good officer, when frustrated about his career prospects, would not be able to deliver his best, thus affecting the quality of output. An organisation with a dedicated administrative Unit, would be able to ensure that the work force would be able to look forward to a bright future and remained enthusiastic to give the optimum output, thereby enabling the organisation to surge forward in its field.”
“I have gone through the performance reports of all the Unit Heads in WADA and have found you to be the best for the job and hence my decision.” Kishanjee added in finality.
“If you have decided to post me there, then I have nothing more to say,” I told him.”I know that you would be there to guide me, as in the past.”
Kishanjee shook hands with me and thanked me for accepting the offer.
“Now we would plan to meet during lunch every day to discuss administrative cases, thereby reviving our earlier practice of meeting daily,” he said.
The work in the Administrative Unit was entirely different from the Training Unit. There were many files not only from administrative sections but also from engineering units on technical policy issues. Meetings were a part of life here. The Unit Chief was a member and sometimes the member secretary of many committees which stipulated a specific number of meetings to be held bi-monthly. In addition, representatives of various associations of officers, junior technical staff, ministerial staff, skilled and unskilled workers etc. would every time seek a meeting with the Unit Chief to sort out their grievances.
While going through the status of disposal of grievances from the various Units and Sections, I found that the maximum number of grievances came from the Material, Machinery and Manpower (MMM) Section. This Section was entrusted with the work of identifying the availability of surplus material, machinery and manpower in a project which could be deployed to another needy project under construction. Due to decontrol of cement and steel and better availability of indigenous machinery, its work had reduced and the Coordination Unit was examining the possibility of giving additional functions to that Section.
“I would suggest to the Coordination Unit to rename the MMM Section as an office dealing with Men and Distress, a MAD Section!” The Assistant Grievance Officer (AGO), Raghav, told me while discussing the nature of grievances received from that office. “It is said that an idle brain is a devil’s workshop and the activities of this Section confirm the adage.”
“What made you to come to such a conclusion?” I asked him.
“I came to this post some 5 years ago”, he told me. “I had been handling staff grievances in many organisations in the past and, even here, I have been getting the opportunity of dealing with the grievances of the staff from various Units and Sections. But the complaints and grievances received from MMM Section are a class by itself”.
“Please enlighten me with one or two examples of such cases received from this Section, ”I told him.
“A classic example is the grievance frequently received from an officer , Chandi Ram, of the Section, that his boss and colleagues are troubling him by not allowing him to have a proper seating arrangement so as to work peacefully.”
“Why should it be treated as a problem to give him a proper seat?” I asked surprised by the reply.
“The problem is that he wants to sit facing a north- east corner, with his table touching both the north and east side walls of the room. His colleagues do not agree to that since all almirahs containing files are kept abutting the walls. His funny demand, if accepted, would obstruct others the   access to their files.” Raghav clarified.
“The request is quite unusual”, I said. “Why does he want to sit like that while all are sitting with their backs to the walls which help them to take the concerned files easily from the cupboards behind them?”
“That is exactly what I asked him” Raghav said.” He told me that his performance is the best when seated like that, but his colleagues and boss want to show his work in a bad light. Hence every evening, though he arranges the seat in his favourite corner, the next morning, they upset the arrangement and he is not able to perform well. As to my query about his choice for a seat, he told me that his ‘Guru’ had directed him to work facing north east to ensure success in life as the sun rises from that side during this season. Otherwise, it would be an insult to Sun-God!”
“The only way we can oblige him is to post him to a field unit, “I told the AGO.”Then he would be able to sit according to the direction of the rising Sun as there would be sufficient open place in the site office. By offering him this option, let us see how he reacts.”
The offer was gracefully accepted by the officer and one of the recurring complaints from the Section came to an end. Likewise there were many odd grievances from that Section which used to take a lot of our time to get sorted out. I was fully convinced after some time that the office could be renamed as a MAD Section! However, while reorganising the working of various Sections, during that period, this office was merged with a Section in the Coordination Unit in view of the reduced work load.
We also used to receive representations from aggrieved staff of other Units and Sections, some serious while many of them arising out of odd issues similar to that of Chandiram. Giving a patient hearing to these officials, we could sort out many cases as these needed only limited intervention from the Administration  Unit.
Apart from grievances, committee meetings used to take a heavy toll on my time in the office. Though my role was negligible in these committees, as per rule, the administration had to be represented by its Unit Head in every such meeting and hence the problem.
Partha had cautioned me earlier while I was in the field unit, that the past time indulged by the headquarters, is to set up a committee to enquire into any matter, be it arising out of a technical problem or due to administrative actions. The working of most of the committees I attended did confirm Partha’s observations.  The members came unprepared for the meeting, with many not even bothering to bring the Agenda papers sent to them weeks in advance seeking their comments. Some came only with the intention of meeting friends and to exchange pleasantries!
In every public organisation, a Vigilance Section was required to be set up as per rules. Since WADA was also modelled along such lines, we also had a vigilance office even though WADA’s budget was meant mostly for dispensing pay and allowances of the staff and some funds for field works and routine office maintenance. Hence scope for misuse of funds and related bungling was minimal. Public dealings were also few as WADA was involved mainly with project designs, field investigations for projects and policy matters related to water. Hence I was under the impression that this Section did not deal with many files. But as the files started pouring in from that Section, I knew that I was mistaken.
After I took charge as Chief of the Unit, I had gone to see the locations of all the offices under the Unit. I found that the Vigilance Section was tucked away at a corner, far away from other offices and had put up a special board displaying ‘Vigilance Section – No Entry Zone’. I also observed that of all the administrative sections, the Vigilance Section appeared unique with the staff all looking serious as if they were going to execute a death warrant. They moved around cautiously lest someone snatch away the secret files they carried! Due to the secrecy shrouding the working of the Section, most of the technical staff avoided contacts with the vigilance people, being afraid that they could be involved with some vigilance enquiry.
In view of the large number of files originating from the Vigilance Section, I decided to study the main functions allotted to that set up and to see whether it is unnecessarily encroaching into other tasks which did not fall within its stipulated functions. I was prompted to look into this matter as I felt that with a budget meant mainly for salary disbursements, the Vigilance Section should have only few files dealing with any embezzlement of funds. As expected, the Section was also entrusted with many miscellaneous, extraneous issues to be treated as vigilance cases, which were to be monitored and followed up by the Section, thereby justifying the continued existence of the staff.
One such case was regarding the subletting of residential accommodation by an allottee. This WADA employee, who was given an accommodation by the PWD out of their surplus quarters, had given on rent a part of his house unauthorised to a private individual at a very high rent in 1965. Someone reported about this to the PWD and also to WADA. The official was caught red handed by the PWD team while he was accepting the rent   from the individual. The PWD started proceedings to get the residence vacated, the official got a stay from the court and the case was going on since then.
I could not understand the logic of keeping this case in our vigilance register since it was a matter between the PWD, the official and the court. But the Section Officer showed me circulars issued by the management on the subject indicating the need to include such acts of employees also in our register till a final decision was taken by the concerned  organisation – in this case the PWD.
There was also another interesting case pending investigation in our register. It was about a junior officer who had allegedly pushed his wife from a moving train, causing serious injuries to her due to which a criminal case was in progress for the last many years against the officer. Though the case had nothing to do with WADA’s functions, it continued in our register as a vigilance case awaiting final decision by the court.
When I discussed these cases with Kishanjee to find out ways of getting rid of such files, he narrated to me a joke making rounds in the corridors then to justify the need.
“A journalist went to interview the oldest living Russian in the town”, Kishanjee began. “The journalist asked the old man the secret of his long life. The latter informed him that his regimented life style kept him in good health.
‘“That means you never had to go to a doctor?”, the journo asked.
‘“I used to consult a doctor whenever I felt like visiting him”, the old man said. “As usual, he used to prescribe medicines for me and the local chemist used to give me the medicines, but I never took a single medicine”.
‘“Why did you not take the prescribed medicines?”
‘“Because, I wanted to live”, the Russian said.
‘“Then why did you go to consult a doctor and then buy medicines from the chemist?”
‘“Because, they also have to live”, the man said without batting an eye lid”
“Likewise, every Section in an organisation has to survive, for which they have to justify their existence.” Kishanjee said. “The more the cases, the better their chance of continuing indefinitely, be it a Section or an office .Hence they would be too eager to grab a chance to ensure their continuity”
The file work in the Administration Unit was never ending as I found to my dismay. However, while dealing with files, I always remembered what Partha and Harishankar had advised me, that every personal file represented an individual official’s aspirations and hence should be dealt with due care to help the individual as far as possible. Such files, according to them were not to be treated as a bundle of sheets to be handled in a routine manner.
One of the irritating issues always faced by the administration was about transfers of officers to field Units.  Field job was a challenging one as it involved not only technical but also man management and fiscal issues.  But I was told that many senior officers, though competent in technical matters, always tried to avoid field postings as they were afraid of dealing with field problems. Consequently, when they were forced to go to field units, they concentrate not in the field jobs but in getting a transfer back to the head quarters at the earliest opportunity. I had also noticed that some officers whenever they visit the Hqs. claiming that they had completed six months out of the mandatory three year period and were eagerly waiting to complete the remaining period so as to be back  at Delhi.
“In the field assignments, there are many chances of committing mistakes and consequently getting a bad performance report.” Kishanjee told me when we were discussing the transfer problems, during our usual lunch time meeting one day. “The mistakes could occur while dealing with financial matters or sometimes with technical issues in the field. However, at Hqs., it would be very rare as every design drawing or report is thoroughly checked at many levels before they are issued to the clients. A mistake free career as in the Hqs. would ensure excellent performance reports and speedy promotions while in field, the performance report would generally be ranked as an ‘average’ one or at the most ‘good’. This is what the WADA engineers believe and hence their reluctance for field posting.”
“So far, I have not dealt with cases of field postings for senior officers”. I said.
“You are right”, Kishanjee said. “A few days back a Unit Chief from the field met me to get his leave sanctioned from July to avail leave travel concessions. I was not happy about his taking leave during that period as he was entrusted with monitoring reservoir operations and forecasting floods of major rivers in the monsoon months. Sensing my mood, he clarified to me that he was not taking leave to enjoy holidays but to get medical treatment as he was not keeping good health. When I confronted him with his records that he had been in the habit of absenting from the site on leave specially during flood season on one pretext or other in the past years, he confessed that he was finding it difficult to handle the works during the flood seasons and hence remained on leave handing over the charge to his subordinate. He admitted that he wanted to be away from the scene of action so as to avoid committing mistakes and getting criticised for his failures.
“He was behaving like some local officers,” I pointed out.” When there is a problem in one area, they would be missing at that site, but would be found in another area. If cornered, they would clarify that they had gone to that area to ensure the preparedness of the staff to deal with such situation when it erupts!”
“Same thing is happening in WADA”, Kishanjee concurred. “When there are floods in the north, they rush to south to hold consultations. Likewise, when drought stalks the western part of the country, they would be available in the eastern part to study the situation there.”
“That means that these officers are always ready to fall sick and take leave whenever confronted with such problems. Is it so?” I asked.
“Such people are a liability to the organisation,” Kishanjee said. “But when the question of promotion comes, they are the first to get it since they get excellent reports for doing routine jobs, while those in the field facing challenges and struggling to achieve results are left out because of some slips. I am of the view that such mistakes should  be overlooked.”
“It is for their superiors to ensure that while evaluating the Performance Reports (PR) of their field officers, these juniors are given due weightage”, I said. “Otherwise none would be able to help these subordinates”.
“That is true”, Kishanjee agreed. “To have a level playing field for everyone, I have now introduced an additional column in the PR Form to high light the challenges they faced in the field and their performance in such posting.”
Most of my time during office hours was taken by meetings and in clearing files. Every day when I got back home and rued about my contribution to the water sector,  I used to feel that I had done nothing to enhance WADA’s technical supremacy in water sector except to push files up or down! But as Kishanjee had pointed out to me at an earlier occasion, someone had to do this job to ensure that the wheels of administration run smoothly to have dedicated teams of workers in the organisation.  







20. Survival ‘Mantras’ in Service.
The advent of computer age and the speed with which officers started getting adapted to computerisation took everyone by surprise. Even the old hands in WADA had to admit the convenience it brought about in handling technical data and administration work. Type writers got replaced by computers and every official was getting trained in handling computers, storing data and sending mails through computers.
“It is going to be a paperless office, “one officer, a computer enthusiast, commented in a meeting taken by the CEO, WADA, to evaluate the progress of computerisation in the office.
“Presently, there are many Units which can claim credit for being paperless offices”, one senior officer commented.
“I can vehemently state that the administration is the first Unit which can claim that status”, Kishanjee said smiling.”You ask for any paper or record pertaining to any case, the Section would reply that they have no paper concerning that!’
All including the CEO joined to share the joke.
“With computerisation of all correspondence, the details can be accessed easily in the administration”, I said. “It would reduce the complaints regarding the missing papers”.
“How long would you take to computerise your records?” CEO asked me.
”I have got most of the staff trained in handling computers and have allocated  a dedicated team to computerise all the records pertaining to the last  five  years.” I explained. “Also, whatever is received from next month is being computerised by the concerned staff.”
The Chiefs of other Units also presented their plans for computerising the data handled in WADA.
“From the way the Units are planning to completely handle the works through computers, I am afraid and also happy of the day when all correspondence would be done only by e-mails and discussions done through video –conferencing”, Rathore , the Dy. CEO, known as the ‘Abominable No Man’ of WADA, commented .
“Why do you preface it by the words, ‘afraid and happy ’?” the CEO asked him.
“Afraid because, the staff would like to sit at home and correspond through e-mails with their seniors and juniors and we would never get any common time to meet them. “ Rathore said. “I also said happy because, since using the technology, we could work from home, and only a few rooms and a common waiting room need to be retained with WADA for the staff who would be preparing pay bills etc. The rest of this sprawling building being located in a posh area could be rented out to earn good revenue every month. What do you say of that?”
“I have an objection to this proposal”, Kishanjee said.
“Why do you object?” Rathore looked angrily at him. “I know that the administration is always keen to take silly objections on my proposals. But what is your problem here?”
“My objection is that this might cause many family problems”, Kishanjee retorted. “For example, if you want tea and snacks at any time during the office hours, you can get it by phoning up the canteen. But once you start working from home, your wife would have to make tea and snacks whenever you demand and this would certainly cause family discord .Would any one like to create such a situation?”
All of us laughed.
The CEO thanked all the officers for the enthusiasm shown in computerisation of the records. He also expressed his hope in a light vein that the fears expressed by Rathore and Kishanjee would not be allowed to occur!
After the meeting, Kishanjee invited me to join him during the lunch period.”We have to discuss a lot of things since my time in WADA is coming to an end,” he told me.
I knew that Kishanjee was to retire before the year end. Though there were rumours that the retirement age in WADA was going to be increased by 2 years to 60, there was no confirmation till then from the management about this issue.
During lunch, I asked Kishanjee the latest position in the case regarding increasing the retirement age.
“There are cross currents in the system, some for and some against the proposal”, Kishanjee said.”It depends on who wins in the end.”
“Why should any one oppose it?” I asked him.” All would be benefitted by such a decision.”
“None is against the principle, but the opposition is about the timing of its implementation.” Kishanjee explained. “A Unit Chief who is nearing the retirement age of 58 would be benefitted by it if implemented now, but then, his deputy would have to wait for two years for his promotion. If the implementation is delayed, the deputy would get the promotion soon after the present incumbent retires. Hence the clash of interests.”
“Any way I am packing up and I have got an offer from the International Development Bank(IDB)”, Kishanjee said. “You have still a long time to go and hence it is for you now to face the administrative problems in WADA.’”
“Why do you presume that I would be in this Unit all the coming years?” I asked in protest. “I could be transferred to some technical Units which I would certainly prefer and when promotions come I would be certainly shifted.”
“IN WADA, the saying is- once in administration, always in administration.” Kishanjee said.” This is going to be your case also unless more posts at this level get created through a cadre review, an unlikely event in the present circumstances in WADA.”
“I am not unduly perturbed about being in the HR Unit” I told him. “As I am also getting involved with the policy issues in the organisation, I am getting regularly updated with the technological development occurring in the water sector not only in India, but also globally. My only apprehension is that administrative issues which cause blood pressure (BP) could make me also a patient of BP!”
”Swamy  Chinmayananda  always advised his followers to’ keep smiling’ so that  no disease would catch up “ Kishanjee pointed out “By the way, if you are able to complete the computerisation of records, you would not have anything to bother about. All queries could be easily replied.”
“As you know too well, the factors causing problems in the HR unit are not even envisaged when we feed the data into the computer.” I said. “The issues raised by each individual are unique and complex for which a generalisation is not possible. These are to be handled case wise and sorted out immediately before they explode.”
“True, “ Kishanjee agreed. “We have to think together to find solutions to such issues as and when they crop up. You can always contact me even after my joining the new assignment to discuss such cases.”
Kishanjee had already assumed that I would remain till retirement in the administrative set up!
The eagerly awaited pay revision in the WADA came a few days there after. As these were in accordance with the government’s Pay Commission report with engineers given a lower scale, WADA engineers were in an agitated mood as their pay scales were also similar.
One day, the President of the Engineers Association sought a meeting with Kishanjee on the subject of pay scales.
“You also join me in the discussions,” Kishanjee phoned me. “The engineers want to go on strike to protest against the injustice meted out to them.”
“Computer cannot solve this issue,” I said jokingly.
“That is why I want you to join me to think over the issue,” Kishanjee said.
The President and other office bearers of the Association came to the DY.CEO’s chamber at 2 p.m.as decided.
“Let me know the reasons for going on strike, an issue never heard of in WADA.” Kishanjee said after welcoming them. “You know fully well that WADA’s administration takes actions always favourable to its employees. Why then the need for a strike?”
“The strike is not against the administrative policies of WADA, but to highlight the injustice done to engineers ignoring their contributions in the country’s development.” The President pointed out.”WADA’s management would also follow the government’s pay scale and we would be deprived of getting better pay scales.”
“Why do you presume that you would be able to pressurise the management to review the recommendations?” Kishanjee asked. “Are you convinced that such pressure tactics would ever succeed?”
”We are certain that it would succeed because in the last Pay Commission time, due to the strike called by the Post and Telegraph (P&T) organisations, railways etc., their pay scales were revised.” The President said showing the news clippings of those days.
“Well, P&T and railways strike affected public life”, Kishanjee agreed.”Would your strike have any such impact?”
“Certainly not, ”Kishanjee stressed after a pause to ensure that his words had the intended effect on the office bearers.” But since the strike would not affect the usual output from WADA, the management may become wiser to know that there is surplus staff! They may then even resort to staff reduction to effect economy knowing fully well that such a step would not  affect its routine functioning. Do you want to be exposed? Also we are planning to improve the cadre strength through a cadre review and have projected a heavy workload in the coming days. Hence would it be wise to show to the authorities that during the strike period, nothing much happens to the output? Think twice before you cause the damage. ”
“You have brought out a real constraint here. We would have to discuss”,” the Secretary of the Association agreed.
After consulting other members, he said.“Since we have to protest against the Report, we have to do something instead of thinking of a strike. We are of the unanimous opinion that alternatively we go for a “work to rule” method of protest.”
Kishanjee remained cool to their suggestions. He said.
“You would cause suffering to your colleagues only because you have to strictly follow the office rules when you opt for this sort of protest. You have to be in the office exactly at 10 a.m., take a tea break of 15 minutes and lunch break of 30 minutes and leave the office only at 5 p.m. How many of your colleagues would accept this approach? None, I am sure, since I know that most of your friends come late and leave early from the office and do take longer tea and lunch breaks.”
“What you said is right”, the Joint Secretary agreed. “Why should we inconvenience ourselves with such a protest knowing fully well that we are not going to gain anything from it? We are opting for the protest only to show solidarity with our brethren in other departments who are agitated about the pay packets”.
“We have to protest even if it inconveniences some of us,” the President said,” because the general body had authorised us to take needed actions. We cannot and should not go back on that. Otherwise, we would not be able to face them.”
“There is a need to avoid the embarrassment to you and also to WADA  when you resort to strike.” I butted in.”I can suggest an alternative in this regard.”
”Let us hear the views of the HR Unit Head also”. Kishanjee said . Turning to me, he continued. “But remember that you are in charge of administration and you are not empowered to make commitments on behalf of WADA”.
“I know my limitations”, I said. “Though presently I am in administration and hence a part of the management, being also a sleeping member of the Association, I am making this suggestion on the condition that this would not be a part of the official record of discussions. My proposal is that instead of a strike which would expose the workload in the organisation, or ‘work to rule’, which would inconvenience many, the alternative way of protest now-a- days followed is either opt for a ‘relay hunger strike’ or for a’ black band demonstration’ and giving wide publicity to it in the press.”
“ There would not be any one volunteering  to sit in hunger strike and stay without food for long. This option is not at all acceptable.” The Secretary said.
“What I meant was a relay hunger strike. One of the staff could sit on a six hourly hunger strike say, from  8 a.m. to 2 p.m.,  another from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., and so on for a couple of days  as convenient.”  I clarified. “If that is difficult, you can take the’ black band’ option.”
“We all can opt for the black band “, the President declared. 
All the office bearers thanked me for the suggestion since it could save the team from embarrassment while meeting other members of the Association.  Kishanjee appreciated me for suggesting a way out of the predicament of bad publicity for WADA if there was a strike.
Rumours regarding the extension of retirement age for the employees continued to be making rounds in WADA, but it became certain that Kishanjee would be retiring as per schedule in a week’s time. So the Engineers Association decided to organise a farewell party to him at a date convenient to him. As other Staff Associations also wanted to join, the Secretary of the Engineers Association was entrusted to contact him to decide the date for the party.
“I do not intend to take any party. I do not believe in such formalities and it is against my principles”, Kishanjee flatly refused.
“Kindly persuade him. He seems to be very adamant”, the Secretary requested me after meeting him and informing me of his failure in the mission.” Knowing your close association with him, I am sure that you may be able to convince him”.
During lunch time, I went to Kishanjee to get his concurrence for the function.
“I am not permanently going away from WADA”, he told me. “I would be frequently coming to this organisation to collect data and other materials for the projects of IDB.’
“During such visits, you would be visiting only the concerned officers dealing with the subject.” I countered. ”Others would be deprived of the opportunity to meet you. Hence all of us want to have a get together with you. We all want to pay our respects and regards to you and to express our gratitude for guiding us all these years. Please do not disappoint us.” I pleaded with him.” All are voluntarily contributing for the party and if you do not accept it, it would appear as if you do not care for the warm feelings of the staff.” 
The farewell party was well attended. Except for a few senior officers who had nourished certain grudge against  Kishanjee , all were present in the function to wish him a healthy and peaceful life ahead.
To me, he continued to be a friend, philosopher and guide since the day Partha introduced him (though in absentia) to me. Even after he became my boss as the Dy.CEO in charge of Administration, our relationship continued to be the same. 
The existing rules for recruitment to the senior posts of CEO and Dy.CEO of WADA were framed in such a way as to give equal opportunities to departmental officers and those who hold senior positions in other organisations dealing with water sector. Hence the posts had to be advertised and would require normally a period of six months to fill up. Though we had taken action accordingly, due to some delayed responses from state organisations, the vacancy arising out of the retirement of Kishanjee could not be filled up by the due date. Hence CEO decided that Rathore, the senior most Dy. CEO, handling projects, would hold the additional charge of this post also.
Rathore was nick named as the ‘Abominable No Man’ by the officers and staff of WADA due to his way of handling any issue. Any proposal put up to him for approval would come back with a ‘no’, unless pressure comes from the top to clear it. If confronted by the top brass as to why the proposal was taking time to get approved, he would put the blame on his juniors for laxity in working. Later, he would respond that by his special efforts he could get the plan cleared. The bosses would get the impression that while he worked hard to meet their demands, the juniors were sluggish.
A few days before Kishanjee’s retirement, we all including him, were under the impression that CEO would keep the Administration directly under him till someone was recruited. When the orders came, it was shocking because of Rathore’s bad reputation. Some officers under him had told me that he was keen to occupy the most powerful post of Dy.CEO (HR).
 All along, I had the feeling that an engineer would be happier to work in a technical post than in dealing with the administrative files and personnel problems as the post gave only head aches to the person holding it. Even Kishanjee used to consider that way.
After Rathore took over the post, I went to brief him about the working of the Unit. He told me that he did not like the working style of his predecessor (Kishanjee) due to which the administration was in a shambles .He cited the instances of State Organisations complaining of undue delays in receiving orders on clearances for projects, inordinate delays in getting data needed for designs , etc. He also pointed out about the unhappiness of staff not getting timely promotions. He warned me that he would not tolerate any excuse for the delays and would certainly overhaul the system to be more responsive.
I knew that it was an indirect criticism on my way of handling the Unit. Hence I pointed out to him that the project clearances were handled by technical Wings and the HR Unit was only responsible to convey the orders as received from these Wings. The orders were issued within a reasonable time by the HR Unit and hence the delays were attributable only to the technical Wings concerned. As regards, delays in promotions, I also clarified to him that the Administration used to promptly notify the vacancies arising in a year to the related  committees set up for promotion of staff in various cadres, but due to in- built deficiencies, some of these committees could not deliver and hence the complaint. I intentionally did not bring out that the defaulting selection committees were all headed by him. I added that even the post of Dy.CEO was notified six months back, but the committee set up could not meet and complete the process. Hence the procedures would need a relook.
“I do not want to hear your excuses defending administration and putting the blame on technical Wings or on selection committees for all the delays.” Rathore said bluntly. “Outsiders consider that WADA delayed to respond. Staff feel grieved that WADA is not giving them timely promotions. I do not want to hear any such complaint against WADA. The administration has to take the responsibility and I am going to ensure that. From now on all files for approval, whether a small issue like casual leave or sending clearance on projects, should be put up to me without fail.”
I knew that it was going to be tough to work with him, knowing that he took months to clear files. As directed by him, I notified all the Sections under me about the instructions from him, also sending a copy for his information.
I remembered Kishanjee’s advice on the first day I met him on transfer from the field to Hqs.
“There are only two rules to be strictly followed to remain successful in WADA Hqs. Rule no.1 – Boss is always right; and Rule no. 2- If you do not agree with the Boss, follow Rule no. 1.”
There was no need to enter into arguments with Rathore, I decided. I wanted to wait and watch.   



















21. The Last Move.
The working of the HR Unit underwent a sea change after Rathore took over as Dy. CEO. He believed that everyone in the Unit was a shirker and misguided him in all cases. His approach to deal with any file was to return the file, irrespective of whether it dealt with the routine cases of leave sanction, payment of festival advances to lower grade staff, etc. or an important policy file. He would write on the file directing the officer concerned to speak with him, but he never gave any time for the officers who wanted to discuss the cases with him as directed by him. Consequently files got accumulated on every one’s table while his table remained clean. Within two  months of his taking charge, complaints started reaching the CEO about delayed actions and indifferent functioning of the HR Unit.
One day I got a call from CEO to meet him and discuss with him about the many pending cases in the Unit.
“What is happening in your Unit?” He thundered. “I am getting frequent complaints about the delay in sanctioning even a simple case like an earned leave. What are all of you doing there?”
I was in no mood to defend Rathore. Hence I told the Chief that since the Dy. CEO had issued directions that he alone would clear all such cases, the cases are pending for his decision. Probably, being overloaded with work, he is not able to look into many administrative cases.
“If he is not getting adequate time to clear administrative files, he should delegate some of the powers to his subordinates,” he said. “I am not looking into all cases of administration, because I have decentralised it.  He also should do it.”
I   kept quiet since I knew that a junior officer should not attempt to educate a senior on his functions and responsibilities.
“You have to ensure that there would not be any more complaint about administration,” he said ignoring my predicament. “I would hold you squarely responsible for any such lapse.”
“I would convey your views to Dy. CEO,” I said.”It would then enable him to give further directions in this regard.”
After returning to my seat, I sent a note to Rathore giving a gist of the discussions I had with the CEO regarding the complaints about the administration and his directions in this regard. I wanted his reactions, but there was no response from him.
Complaints continued to pour in the Unit, not only from WADA staff about delays in sanction of their personal claims, but also from other organisations about non-receipt of approvals for their projects. Every week, I used to compile a list of such complaints, get the feedback from the concerned officers and put up to Rathore for information. He used to return the files with the remark “please speak.” I took a couple of cases where he had asked me to speak, but he told me that he would discuss the cases later on as he was then busy with urgent cases from technical Units. For a few days, I waited for his call, but then I thought that even if I again went to him with the files, he would send me back saying that he had no time, being busy with other works.  Hence I sent all the files pending with me, noting on the files that he could indicate a convenient time and date to discuss the issues with him. Thereafter, he never returned any of these files, but still no action was forthcoming.
Getting disgusted with the working style of the boss, I thought of seeking a change from the Unit as there were few vacancies in other Wings. I was not sure whether my boss would forward my application to CEO.
Kishanjee was on tour abroad and the available advisor for me was Partha. So, I telephoned him to brief him about my dilemma and to get his views.
The policy of a new incumbent in any senior post during his first year of tenure in any organisation, be it WADA or otherwise, is to denounce the predecessor for all the mess he made in the functioning of the organisation. By this act, he would be able to cover up his incompetency in the work. During the second year, he would blame his subordinates for creating all the mess in the system and not following his directions in streamlining the set up”
“But he cannot keep on complaining about his staff indefinitely and he has to show results at least subsequently”, I pointed out
“True”. Partha agreed. “He knows how to carry on without any blemish and complete his term . In his third year of his tenure, usually the last year, he would start claiming that due to his untiring efforts, some improvements could be brought about and good results would be forthcoming if the tempo is kept up. By the end of that year, he would be packing up and a new incumbent would take over. If the new officer is a competent one, he would not blame any one and ensure  improved working of the organisation , taking along with him the subordinates, enthusing them to give the best out of them.”
‘What is your assessment of Rathore? I asked him.
“The very fact your present boss started his first innings blaming Kishanjee for the deficiencies in the administration, you can expect him now to complain about you for all the failures.” Partha continued. “If you want to escape from him, the best way is to seek a transfer to another Unit, now that you have completed more than five years in that post. However, if you apply for transfer, even if he forwards the application, he may put conditions to relieve you and you would not be transferred.”
“What hassles he can put since I have completed more than the minimum period of stay in this post?” I asked him.
“He could say that he had just taken over and being in additional charge, he would need your help to ensure proper procedures as per precedents etc. He would also point out that you being in charge of the cadre review, it would be necessary to retain you till that work is completed. As you know very well, the work on cadre review would take years and hence you could continue in HR Unit till your retirement!” 
 “Kishanjee had also told me once that ‘once in administration in WADA, always in administration’. But how to get rid of this tag?” I sought Partha’s advice.
“There is only one way”, he said. “Find out which organisation wants to take officers at your level on deputation and apply for such posts, one at a time. Normally such applications are forwarded by the seniors since it takes months for completing the selection procedures and hence they cannot put any condition while recommending the application.”
Shortly afterwards, I got an opportunity. A new consortium was being set up by the government to provide consultancy services for infrastructure development, such as roads, hydro electric projects, irrigation , navigation, etc. The new organisation, ‘Hydropower, Transport, Irrigation engineering &Road Consultancy Services’ (HYPTIER CONSULT), needed the services of a senior engineer having adequate experience in planning and construction of projects as also administrative experience with capacity to train and guide engineers for the purpose. As it suited my qualifications and experience, I applied for the post through proper channel.
“You are asking for a tough life in building up an organisation as you would not get any facility initially and you have to struggle to get things through,” Rathore told me after seeing my application. “Here your work is well designed with supporting staff having well defined responsibilities. In a new organisation, you have to start from the scratch and you would be wasting all your energy to put it into operation Moreover, money wise, the compensation is much less compared to the efforts to be put”
“I applied just to face the challenges involved in setting up a new organisation meant to provide consultancy for national and international projects.” I said. I did not want to tell him that I applied for the post only to get out of the HR Unit of WADA.” I know that there would be lot of work to be done to formulate the functions, getting the requisite staff etc. so that the organisation would be able to work on commercial footing to meet specifically international competition in the field.”
”I only wanted to warn you of the problems to be faced in a new organisation. Any way, since you are keen about it, I am forwarding your application”, Rathore said while signing the letter forwarding to CEO.
I thanked him for his advice. Back in my room, I informed Partha of the developments.
Next day, there was a call from the CEO’s office asking me to meet the boss at 1p.m.
“I know that you are sure to be selected for the post since CEO, ROWADO, who is in the selection committee, has talked highly of you. He has requested me to spare you for the job” CEO said. “I am therefore forwarding the application to the concerned though I know that I would be losing you from WADA.”
A fortnight later, when Kishanjee contacted me on his return from abroad, I narrated to him the developments in WADA administration and my decision to change the organisation.
“Partha advised you rightly,“ he said congratulating me.”Rathore is an officer who would like to take all credits for himself and blame juniors for all the ills of the office. If you had continued with him for long, you would be dumped as an incompetent officer in WADA. As to your application on deputation, be prepared to join there, as competition for this post would be minimal, as most of the senior officers would never think of treading uncharted areas of work “.
A few weeks thereafter, I got a copy of the orders issued by HYPTIER CONSULT addressed to my CEO intimating him about my selection to the post of Officer on Special Duty (OSD)in that organisation. It was also requested there in that I should be immediately relieved from WADA to join the post.
“I cannot relieve you at least for some more months till the cadre review is cleared.” Rathore told me when I showed him the letter. “I am refusing to relieve you now and would request CEO to write to the concerned to cancel the order if they cannot wait till then”.
“As you please, Sir, “I told him. “But I should get a letter from you to this effect, so that they would not be harassing me till our cadre review is over”.  
“I am not authorised to give any letter to you,” Rathore said. “The CEO has to do that. I would send a note to him on these lines. I do not want him to blame me for any bungling in the case of cadre review”.
Next day, CEO called me to meet him in the afternoon to discuss about the letter from HYPTIER CONSULT.
“Are you keen to join the post of OSD which is now equivalent to your present post”? He asked me when I met him at the appointed hour.
“I am interested in that post, “I told him. “Though financially it does not give much benefit, the assignment would pose many challenges and hence I chose to apply for it.”
“Your Rathore has put some conditions for your relief pointing out to the ongoing cadre review work.” He said. “But I am relieving you this week end to facilitate you to join the new post. I am also writing to that organisation that you would be shortly relieved from here. In the meanwhile, I am posting another officer to take over from you so that Rathore would get the needed support in the HR Unit.”
Rathore was furious when I met him next day as he got the order from CEO relieving me and posting another officer to take charge of HR unit.
“The boss expects me to take actions promptly and at the same time relieve all my able officers at his will.” He complained.”How can I carry out my responsibilities under such circumstances? I would certainly relieve you tomorrow as ordered by him, but this is not the way to run an administration.”
I thanked him for considering me as an efficient officer, though I knew that he was always complaining about me to CEO as an incapable officer and as the root cause of all the ills afflicting the Unit!
The office of HYPTIER CONSULT was located in a rented accommodation in the nearby Chanakyapuri area at that time and hence I could report to the CEO, Rajnath, the next day itself.
The first time I met him was during the interview for the post. A six footer and tough looking person, he was courteous throughout while interviewing me. He had appeared to me as a ‘go-getter’, a man with definite views and result oriented in his approach. While discussing the terms of appointment, such as salary, perks etc, he proved to be a good negotiator as well.
When I presented before him with my relieving report from WADA, he stood up, shook hands with me and led me to the sofa nearby to make me seated.
“I would take a few minutes to clear this urgent file and thereafter, we could leisurely discuss about the future plans”, he said. He told his Personal Assistant on phone to arrange for tea etc. for me.
After clearing the file, Rajnath joined me as soon as the tea and snacks were served.
“We in HYPTIER CONSULT are in the infant stage now and we would like to build it up as an organisation of international repute to provide consultancy services in water, power and transport sectors.” he said. “With your experience in WADA and ROWADO, I am sure that we would be able to achieve that target in a couple of years. Presently we have few projects within the country which is looked after by a small team. I would therefore need your help in building up the organisation to international standards.”
I assured him all my cooperation to achieve the objective.
“As I told you, we have a small team comprising about hundred staff including technical, administrative and support staff at present.”He said without waiting much for exchanging pleasantries and coming to the issues involved as a matter of fact. “Two project managers are under me to supervise and carry out the studies, to deal with the tendering processes etc. I am not in favour of recruiting staff for every project we take up, thereby increasing the burden of HR issues and instead would like to take help from placement agencies to get the staff on contract basis. What do you suggest?”
“My experience with the previous organisations where I worked and what I learnt from the experience of HR managers of some autonomous organisations in the matter of recruitments is that there could be much scope for corruption creeping in when we depend on placement agencies.” I told him. “In fact staff recruited that way would like to prolong the work rather than complete it within the scheduled time so that they continue to get the salary and other benefits. When projects abroad are involved, corruption would be rampant for getting such postings.”
“Then what do you consider as the best option so that we do not have to carry the staff burden even if there is no work, thereby causing heavy money outflow on salaries etc.?” Rajnath asked.
”We may try to get officers on deputation from other organisations for posting abroad as well as for meeting our domestic needs. “ I said. “Such a method was adopted in my earlier organisations and was successful. We may try this. If acceptable, we may send out circulars to all organisations in the states. I would also talk to my friends in these organisations to spare suitable officers urgently.”
The CEO agreed with the suggestion and I was directed to take necessary actions from the HR side.
We got an overwhelming response to our circulars and could recruit the manpower needed as scheduled. After initial training, they were deputed to our project sites.
The few years in HYPTIER CONSULT presented not many challenges to me. Being a new organisation with all newly recruited staff, intrigues and politicking among the staff were absent, as they were fully busy to establish themselves in the organisation. Hence, I had enough time to attend to the main  administrative issues, such as, formulating guidelines for staff  promotions  and also a transfer policy so that one who is posted in a tough site in India would get his next posting to a project abroad  carrying many financial benefits and vice-versa. We discussed these policies with the staff members and took them into confidence while finalising the proposals.
Within a couple of years, we could establish ourselves as leading consultants at the global level.
I retired from service at the end of my deputation period in the organisation and was happy to have had a successful innings there also.
When I look back after more than three decades of service in the water sector, I find that most of my period in service was spent in managing human resources involved with the development of water sector and ensuring the availability of an enthused, dedicated team of technical manpower in the concerned organisations. I have no regrets in this regard.
I fondly remember Partha, my friend, philosopher and guide, whom I met in the initial days in WADA’s field Unit. He has been a guiding beacon to me all these years in service. “When dealing with administrative matters, always remember that you are not routinely disposing of a bunch of papers  in an official’s personal file, but that you are looking at the expectations and aspersions of an individual who is seeking justice from the organisation”, he used to tell me. I had emulated that advice all through my service.
 I also cherish the constant guidance I received from Kishanjee, my senior colleague, revered Guru and advisor, who used to point out to me frequently that as the profession needed a good team work for success,   without the support of a trained dedicated team, assured of their career prospects, even a very competent engineer could fail in completing a project successfully and on time. He always used to highlight the need for a strong HR Unit to ensure the availability of such a team for any venture undertaken by the organisation. I had tried to follow his principles during my stint in the HR Units wherever I had the opportunity to work in my service period.



No comments:

Post a Comment